JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Way, way, way back in my USMC days: "No, I'm not married." Only to find out the next morning she was the wife of a Navy Commander who was deployed.

Later, when I was in LE I heard every excuse you could imagine. But a trucker told me he was speeding because his wife told him she was "in the mood" and he wanted to get home before she changed her mind. I told him I hadn't heard that one before and that it was original. I might even buy that excuse if he weren't from Texas and headed west.

Let him off with a warning? :)

True story...I was at a meeting a few years ago about the savage rapids dam removal here in Grants Pass....and this hippy dippy chick with dreadlocks and smelling of B.O. and patchouli oil said "After we remove the dam, how do we put the electricity back in the water that we stole for so many years"

You really couldn't make that up.

Like the bozo here in East Anglia - a pretty flat part of the yUK, on seeing all the wind turbines. 'I imagine that they are used to cool down the crops on hot days...?

Me - 'Of course, but only during the day. At night they blow the dark night air around, keeping it evenly dark all over so that the bats can germinate the crops.'

Him - 'Well, I KNEW that...........'

tac

There is an old saying that goes: "It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought the fool, than open it and prove it""

Old Irish saying - 'Bailíonn béal dúnta bith shiúl na gcos.' - 'A closed mouth gathers no foot'.

And while we are on the subject of the Irish, a friend of mine in the Republic of Ireland asked to have his license for an a WW1-era Lee-Enfield rifle to be renewed. The Garda sergeant responsible for the documentation told him that it was impossible to license such a gun as it was 'far too accurate to be allowed in civilian hands'.

tac

Had an encounter earlier today. It was a statement made by some idiot. He told me he was a Navy SEAL. I asked which BUD/S class he was apart of, its graduation date, and got the "it's top secret" spiel. Recently, a former coworker was fired for having a phony DD214. He was claiming to have been an Army Special Forces Ranger Night Stalker Sniper. Yes, he actually made those claims without a single clue that Special Forces and Rangers are two different disciplines.

Both of those things are the top stupid and wrong statements people have made to me.

Army Special Forces
that's just the Command..well; Special Forces Command..
there are Special Forces Groups with their own specific patches; but one having completed the qualifications for Special Forces get to wear the Special Forces tab or the shield insignia, which includes Special Operations Command (no lighting bolts behind dagger), Pys-Ops/Civil Affairs (two lighting bolts) or Special Forces Groups (three lighting bolts)
doesn't really tell a person much other than having gone through Ranger School and graduating with the group.
Night Stalker
that cracked me up. that's the nick name for the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (160th SOAR)...they're Army, but is under Special Operations Command ..mostly being helicopter pilots and mechanics/logistics..
again, not a significant indicator, other than having gone through the school at Fort Benning (spelling?)....

in the hierarchy of "eliteness"...

Basic Army
Airborne
Air Mobile
Aviation
Ranger
Special Operations
now; while it IS possible to have gone through each school (Airborne is a requirement for entrance into Ranger School and Special Operations, but its not required to have completed Ranger school to enter Special Operations, at least from what my retired Lt. Col father have told me) ....
it is HIGHLY unlikely, as each specific school course is approx 18 months long, some even longer..and most often have deployments over a year-3 years-5 years each.....
yes Rangers and Green Berets are different disciplines, but for an Army soldier, it is possible to earn a "triple tab".. but it does not mean that person IS a Ranger/Green Beret... it simply means that person attended these schools.
a "true Ranger" will have served in the 75th Ranger Regiment, while a "true Special Forces(Green Berets)" will have been assigned to an ODA (Operational Detachment Alpha; AKA A-teams before the tv show).... and Delta Force is even harder to get into/assigned to....
the "Airborne" on the other hand, is simply for completing Airborne training...mostly for the units that have "Airborne" in their titles.

it IS possible someone will have been transferred from the 75th Ranger Regiment into an ODA after completing the Special Forces qualifications, and vice versa, but it is not often done, and even more rare to have served with the 160th SOAR as a Sniper...

there are Special Forces Groups with their own specific patches; but one having completed the qualifications for Special Forces get to wear the Special Forces tab or the shield insignia, which includes Special Operations Command (no lighting bolts behind dagger), Pys-Ops/Civil Affairs (two lighting bolts) or Special Forces Groups (three lighting bolts)

doesn't really tell a person much other than having gone through Ranger School and graduating with the group.

that cracked me up. that's the nick name for the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (160th SOAR)...they're Army, but is under Special Operations Command ..mostly being helicopter pilots and mechanics/logistics..

again, not a significant indicator, other than having gone through the school at Fort Benning (spelling?)....

Basic Army
Airborne
Air Mobile
Aviation
Ranger
Special Operations
now; while it IS possible to have gone through each school (Airborne is a requirement for entrance into Ranger School and Special Operations, but its not required to have completed Ranger school to enter Special Operations, at least from what my retired Lt. Col father have told me) ....
it is HIGHLY unlikely, as each specific school course is approx 18 months long, some even longer..and most often have deployments over a year-3 years-5 years each.....
yes Rangers and Green Berets are different disciplines, but for an Army soldier, it is possible to earn a "triple tab".. but it does not mean that person IS a Ranger/Green Beret... it simply means that person attended these schools.
a "true Ranger" will have served in the 75th Ranger Regiment, while a "true Special Forces(Green Berets)" will have been assigned to an ODA (Operational Detachment Alpha; AKA A-teams before the tv show).... and Delta Force is even harder to get into/assigned to....
the "Airborne" on the other hand, is simply for completing Airborne training...mostly for the units that have "Airborne" in their titles.

it IS possible someone will have been transferred from the 75th Ranger Regiment into an ODA after completing the Special Forces qualifications, and vice versa, but it is not often done, and even more rare to have served with the 160th SOAR as a Sniper...

Problem is he was making all of those claims. Somebody at work took a copy of his phony DD214 and had gone through the extra troubles of having it either verified or confirmed fake. I knew he was a phony the first minute upon mentioning all of that crap to me. Plus the fact he is a chronic f-up.

He was also waaaaaaaaay too candid about missions he supposedly took part in. He went around telling everybody about his so-called heroics. Unfortunately the place of employment has a policy about belittling other workers, because we all wanted to tell him to F off.

Problem is he was making all of those claims. Somebody at work took a copy of his phony DD214 and had gone through the extra troubles of having it either verified or confirmed fake. I knew he was a phony the first minute upon mentioning all of that crap to me. Plus the fact he is a chronic f-up.

He was also waaaaaaaaay too candid about missions he supposedly took part in. He went around telling everybody about his so-called heroics. Unfortunately the place of employment has a policy about belittling other workers, because we all wanted to tell him to F off.
right. making all those claims at the same time or in a very short time...... ding ding ding red flag...and the DD214...having been proved falsified...how in the world did he not get jailed for breaking a federal statute!?

(Impersonating a Federal Employee)

Modeler; I hear that too often too.
another one i've been hearing lately...

"you cant buy tanks or armored vehicles, you can't buy military equipment, and you're not supposed to sell military uniform equipment!"

right. making all those claims at the same time or in a very short time...... ding ding ding red flag...and the DD214...having been proved falsified...how in the world did he not get jailed for breaking a federal statute!?

(Impersonating a Federal Employee)

Modeler; I hear that too often too.
another one i've been hearing lately...

"you cant buy tanks or armored vehicles, you can't buy military equipment, and you're not supposed to sell military uniform equipment!"

I dunno how he's not sitting inside of a prison cell. It could be because he's not bilking other organizations or people out of their own money on the false claims of his phony service status. The Stolen Valor Act was signed back into law by Obama on the premise that people must be using their phony status towards getting money from people or organizations, which will then fall under fraud. However, doing what he was/is doing, is simply bragging. I don't think he was/is collecting VA benefits, or anything else. If he is, then it's only a matter of time before he finds himself in a world of crap.

Stolen Valor act is also for falsely saying one earned medals when they did not. (the Valor part-awards and benefits of a serviceman that usually is earned in actual Military or Federal Services)... but yes, if I went and dressed as a postman, and delivered letters and such, I would be sitting in a jail right now for impersonating a Federal Employee/Serviceman, just like the guy should have been jailed for impersonating a Federal Serviceman (Military)....and I've heard all too often how one used a false DD214 to hoodwink cashiers and retail establishments into giving them Military Vet discounts on top of Senior discounts or just the Military Vet discounts..

Stolen Valor act is also for falsely saying one earned medals when they did not. (the Valor part-awards and benefits of a serviceman that usually is earned in actual Military or Federal Services)... but yes, if I went and dressed as a postman, and delivered letters and such, I would be sitting in a jail right now for impersonating a Federal Employee/Serviceman, just like the guy should have been jailed for impersonating a Federal Serviceman (Military)....and I've heard all too often how one used a false DD214 to hoodwink cashiers and retail establishments into giving them Military Vet discounts on top of Senior discounts or just the Military Vet discounts..

I think that dookiebag uses his phony DD214 to land jobs with companies who would otherwise pass on giving him a phone call for an interview. It was obvious during his first week he wasn't going to make it through the 90 day probationary period. He was/is a real turd.

"A light on a gun will get you killed."
Actually, I do agree with that one.
On a field battle rifle absolutely. With inexperianced firearm/rifle/Tac'd out AR15 owners I do beleive that their cheaply taped on light pressure pads and vertical pogo sticks/grips on their rifle may get them killed. IMO if a shooter hasnt actually handled his weapon enough and he does in fact slip and turn on that light via pressure pad (or what ever) when it really counts..thats a dead give away in the field and you wouldnt believe how many folks havent actually dry ran their platforms utilizing all those bells and whistles.

Indoors, not so much. However, me personally my eyes do better keeping a consistant light or darkness so having a weapon mounted light does blind me, even on my own rifle/pistol indoors.

And there are quite a bit of folks who dont want to admit that they really havent a clue as to what their doing, they just slapped on a $150-$200 super bright/high lumen light because they thought itd be useful but have never actually had a dry run in their house.. It can prove to be more detrimental than beneficial.

Had an encounter earlier today. It was a statement made by some idiot. He told me he was a Navy SEAL. I asked which BUD/S class he was apart of, its graduation date, and got the "it's top secret" spiel. Recently, a former coworker was fired for having a phony DD214. He was claiming to have been an Army Special Forces Ranger Night Stalker Sniper. Yes, he actually made those claims without a single clue that Special Forces and Rangers are two different disciplines.

Both of those things are the top stupid and wrong statements people have made to me.
I hear that one a lot, actually we all have. To hear them tell it there isnt a single clerk, cook, or truck driver in all of the services.

Basic Army
Airborne
Air Mobile
Aviation
Ranger
Special Operations

Did you forget Delta? Aren't they part of SF?

Edit: Oops, I see it in there now.

My wife friend I was teaching to shoot and range safety and I quote "I do not care what you say, it cannot be loaded without the clip in it" Ruger LC9 Had her pick the stuffed animal she liked the most and we shot it with the unloaded gun. Now she believer a gun is always loaded no matter what.

How do you pull the trigger and debunk the theory that a gun can't be loaded without a magazine in it with an LC9? it has a magazine safety.

True story...I was at a meeting a few years ago about the savage rapids dam removal here in Grants Pass....and this hippy dippy chick with dreadlocks and smelling of B.O. and patchouli oil said "After we remove the dam, how do we put the electricity back in the water that we stole for so many years"

I only used the irrigation water provided by the dam. So look at me for takeing the Electricity out of the water. How ever I did take alot of fish out of the resevor above the dam.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews