JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have an 8mm drill bit, 8mm tap and an 8mm bolt. Use a spacer and I can extract down to .223 cases with ease. I prefer to make tools than buy them.

After many years of reloading it finally happened to me recently.
Here is what I did:
Put one of these die lock rings on your die and tighten it up real good:
l_749000313_1.jpg

Clamp the end of the case real tight in your vice and use a wrench on the lock ring to spin the case to break it loose. Much easier than trying to pull it straight out.

I have had luck with tipping the die with astuck case in it and putting ktoil oil on it and letting it soak down into the die. Seems to help free up the case.

A can of Imperial sizing wax and a Forster stuck case remover tool is not all that expensive and they both work the first time every time. Just give up smoking and you' ll have lots more money than you need for both. No need to mention doing the job right in the first place- we all get one stuck from time to time when we start out..........

Don't smoke? Ask you wife what to give up--she has a list........................................

So far I have tried a torch, freezing it and warm water, of course the hammer, putting the flang end in a vice, Liquid Wrench, and nothing has worked. It's like I welded the thing in there. I'm wondering if the tap and die will work when I get it:rolleyes:

Time for another cigar, I'm not married.:p

Been there---Done that....:(
1st....... Drill and tap the primer hole 1/4 x 28
2nd..... Place a short 3/8" drive socket over the end of the case
3rd.....Put a heavy washer on a 1/4 x 28 x 1" bolt
4th.....Screw the bolt into the case against the socket and the bolt will
pull the case out of the die.;)
I cry when I have to do this to a stuck .458S case @.85 a piece:oops:

Yep, Capn Jack, pretty much what I said in a previous post, 'ceptin the part about the 1/4x28 tap, I kinda like using a coarse tap in soft metals like cartridge brass... Different strokes, and all!!!:)

Oh, and edslhead, you know you are supposed to heat the die, and quench the case head in ice water, and not the other way around, right?o_O

Oh, and BTW, I have never stuck a case in a die in my entire reloading experience, some 40 years,......................... that wasn't "fun" to pull out...;)

Last Edited:
I've been loading for 20 + years and only on the second bottle of RCBS lube.
A little goes a long ways.
I've gotten to where I can feel if a case isn't adequately lubed as it enters the die. I don't force them, much easier to back them out and add a little more.
Knock on wood, I've had one stuck case so far. Luckily I did a lot of reading prior to starting to reload and I had the stuck case remover in my reloading box.

Another note on the one shot, and also the RCBS lube, they need to set for a few minutes before you run the case thru the die. If not, you'll need that stuck case extractor again. Don't ask me how I know... o_O

Good idea. The mangled end came from putting the flange end of the stuck case in the vice and trying to twist it out. Didn't t work. That was before I got the tap set.

I had one Friday in my .270 die but fortunately I use lee dies and just had to remove the collet from the top of the die then tap the decapping pin with a rubber mallet to knock the stuck case out.

The above video pretty much explains the process, but I would like to ask the guy why he thought it necessary to run the tap completely into the case. there are only a few threads on a tap that are tapered, so as soon as you reach the fully threaded part, and you have threads all the way through the web of the case, that is far enough in.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top