JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm charging, setting, and crimping some 9mm today and have done about 200 so far. Going through a set, I noticed a piece of tumbler media in a primer hole with the primer already in.

I glanced through the others, and found a couple more.

This means there is a chance there is a piece of media (I think it's corn cob) stuck in at least a few of the already done rounds.

Should I be concerned? Worst scenario the round is a dud? Thoughts? Should I redo the 200 rounds?

View attachment 974713
I experimented with this back when I tumbled in corn cob and or walnut shell. Took 50 pieces with stuck media in the primer pocket. Loaded them as per normal. All went bang with 0 issues whatsoever.

I experimented with this back when I tumbled in corn cob and or walnut shell. Took 50 pieces with stuck media in the primer pocket. Loaded them as per normal. All went bang with 0 issues whatsoever.
Yes, and even factory ammo has a dud once in a while and there is no corn cob or walnut shell in that primer pocket. The issue is does one to risk a dud or squib load.

I have some of the Speer plastic cases and bullets for 38 Special that are powered by primer only. They fly pretty good when propelled by a small pistol primer.
I remember those! Funny thing is, I have a few boxes of them sitting on my shelf just a couple feet from me right now. It's been decades since I shot any, but they punch pretty well at short range. Primers have more pop than most people think.

Yes, and even factory ammo has a dud once in a while and there is no corn cob or walnut shell in that primer pocket. The issue is does one to risk a dud or squib load.
The vast majority of factory duds are caused by primers missing components, like compound or anvils, but you do have a point; anything in that case that shouldn't be there is very bad practice and potential for problems.

I make checking primer pockets and flash holes of cases that come out of my either wet or dry tumblers a priority before doing anything else.
Just good a reloading practice.

I agree. I've done it virtually every way in the last 30+ years, and never had a problem that I could attribute to a dirty primer pocket.
This ^^.

Primer detonation will simultaneously carbonize and blow out that bit of corncob grit. It won't be noticed.

If it bothers you, compressed air can be used to blow it out 95% of the time.

In my experience, dry tumbling won't do much in aid of cleaning primer pockets if that is one of the goals.

I'm charging, setting, and crimping some 9mm today and have done about 200 so far. Going through a set, I noticed a piece of tumbler media in a primer hole with the primer already in.

I glanced through the others, and found a couple more.

This means there is a chance there is a piece of media (I think it's corn cob) stuck in at least a few of the already done rounds.

Should I be concerned? Worst scenario the round is a dud? Thoughts? Should I redo the 200 rounds?

View attachment 974713
media will and does stick in the primer hole. It's a common problem. Use stainless pins and a cleaning solution ( see Guntap. Com). Deprimed the brass first. You clean and polish at the same time. No more media trouble because you don't use it

At one time I incorporated Jasmine rice with corncob media and a squirt of Turtle Wax. It was very effective at cleaning and shining the brass up nicely. The only problem was that the jasmine rice would sometimes get stuck in the primer pockets of my 40 S&W cases. :eek: :eek::eek:

1D82ABC5-B79B-435A-B1E9-FDBA684AEE4A.jpeg

If you deprime before tumbling, just use a deprimer pin in the resize die when you resize. That will clear the flash hole.

If you deprime & resize before tumbling, or before the second tumble, you can use a universal deprimer die in stage 1 to clear the hole. That's what I do with rifle brass.

At one time I incorporated Jasmine rice with corncob media and a squirt of Turtle Wax. It was very effective at cleaning and shining the brass up nicely. The only problem was that the jasmine rice would sometimes get stuck in the primer pockets of my 40 S&W cases. :eek: :eek::eek:

View attachment 986081
That's a great picture Jim! Think it's time to change your rice? :s0114:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top