JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have notice with my last round of reloading both .223 and 300 blackout, that i had a high number of cases pop out of the shell plate, and stick in the die.
I usually load these calibers in batches of 100 on my Dillon 650. i n theses most recent batches I had >10 pop out of shell plate. Historically, i would get 0 -1 in a batch of 100.
I have not changed my process, just curious if anyone has seen the dillion shell plate fail? (visually, i cannot see any defects, and i marked each location that failed, and it was not the same one every time).
Any other ideas?

I use Hornady one shot case lube
Hornady custom grade dies
Dillon 650 press.

Any thoughtsd or ideas greatly appriciated

Watching. I've had the same with hornady dies and shell holders. That said, possibly the die and not the shellholder?

I'm not knowledgeable enough to give an answer. But can provide a point of data.

What's your process on using the hornady one shot? Are you applying LIBERALLY and allowing them to completely dry?

never had an issue with 1 shot and ive loaded thousands of .223/300blk. my lubing process: i put about 200 cases in a ziplock, spray the absolute shh…crap outta them then shake the bag like i mean it. open it, spray it again and run'm wet—because im a rebel!!

im not about dry lube. just sayin :D

never had an issue with 1 shot and ive loaded thousands of .223/300blk. my lubing process: i put about 200 cases in a ziplock, spray the absolute shh…crap outta them then shake the bag like i mean it. open it, spray it again and run'm wet—because im a rebel!!

im not about dry lube. just sayin :D
Would you say you're a rebel WITH or WITHOUT a cause? :D

I lay out 40 rounds, in rows of 20 with the openings facing each other, on a towel. I spray the cases at 45 degree facing the opening of the cases furthest away from me,
i then rotate the towel 180 degrees, and pray the same on the other twenty, i then rolll them back and forth on the towel. I DO NOT wait for them to dry,
i put them in my case feeder,
decap and resize the 40.
i do this a couple of times, to have 120 cases. i clean the 120, case gage, clean the press, (wipe it down to get the lube out of the case feeder).
I remove the sizing die, and load the clean sized cases without the sizing die.
I clean the dies every time i finish with the 100 lube, and before i begin, i shoot lube into the sizing die.

Thanks you in advance for your ideas

I lay them organized flat in a tilted box and spray the lot, then roll them 180 degrees and spray the other sides. Let dry then size and deprime. They then go in for a second clean after sizing. I cleaned the sizing die after a few did not want to release from the die. Mostly lake city brass.

I had the same issue with .300 blk after sizing trimmed .223 conversion. And also lubed with hornady case lube in the same manner.

Edit: I also put some traditional case lube in the case mouths with a q-tip to see if it would help a little after having some issues. Seemed to help a little but not much.

Last Edited:
When I used hornady one shot (don't really ever use it anymore) I had a problem with stuck cases once or twice. The problem solved itself when I started applying more lube to all sides and letting them completely dry. I stood them up in a used 9mm plastic ammo tray when spraying, and. I used a single stage press to size and deprime at the same time.

Now I use either imperial sizing wax or my own mixture of lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol. When using the lanolin mixture, I saturate the cartridges and allow them to fully dry. It does make a difference.

I believe Hornady provides the same instructions as far as letting the cases completely dry before attempting to resize.

Hope this helps.

As long as you're not a rebel. :D

Sure do appreciate all the comments
I will try letting them dry completely, and see how it goes,
And it will keep my case feeder clean

I don't use store bought stuff anymore, when I did, I too got lots of stuck cases.

My best results with the stuff were too sick all of the brass, a reasonable amount, in a gallon size bag. Spray the hell out of them as I shook it up. Costing them liberally. That Hornady stuff really needed to be applied liberally.

I used to get stuck cases then I switched to the Lanolin/Heet concoction and have not had one since, knock on wood…

What are the details on your special sauce?

1 part Lanolin oil to 10 parts "Heet". I use rubbing alcohol greater than 70% alcohol.

Mix in a spray bottle that I got in the "travel" section of your local store (where they sell the travel sized stuff - toothpaste, deo, etc). Spray bottle was ~ $0.97 I think.

Then i wandered over to the isle that sells the rubbing alcohol. Get greater than 70% alcohol content. 99% would be ideal, but >70% works too.

Lanolin..... that's a different story. I ordered off of Amazon. I think any feed store might sell is as it is used by farmers on their cow/goat udders (to keep them soft and supple).

Mix in spray bottle 10:1. Shake. I lay a bunch of shells on an old cookie sheet. A quick spritz to get the top-side "wet". Then shake to get it all over the cases. You could also do the zip-lok bag spray and shake too.

Let the alcohol air evap for about 2 minutes then started running them through the sizer/decapper.

I haven't had a stuck case since.

Lots of YouTube videos of people using HEET (the automotive fuel line conditioner sold in auto parts stores). I found the rubbing alcohol to be cheaper and it works the same principal (to act as an agent to thin the lanolin so it can be used in a spray bottle, then evaporate quickly leaving a thin coating of lanolin).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top