Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Stuck case

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by edslhead, Sep 17, 2015.

1. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Think I'm jinxed. Is this a common problem ? I got the first one unstuck but this one is really in there. I had lots a lube on it, even took a cue tip and lubed the inside. Its the hornady resizing die for 243.
    Any tips on getting the thing out?

IMG_0202_zpsceenkdz7.jpg

IMG_0207_zpscgwyf7ta.jpg

2. giddyupgo55

giddyupgo55 Vernonia Active Member

Go to the store and buy a stuck case remover die set. Easy to use. I just got done removing a case from my 270 die.

Oathkeeper1775, orygun and edslhead like this.
  3. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Ooh, a lube thread! What kind are you using?
    And not all shell holders are equal.. some manufacturers sure try to make them so though..

4. nextgenar

nextgenar roseburg Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

RCBS stuck case remover, I have made my own, but I have access to a full machine shop

v0lcom13sn0w and edslhead like this.
  5. edslhead

Thank you!!! Didn't know there was such a thing, but I WILL be getting one.

My blood pressure may go down now:D

6. edslhead

I'm using the one shot lube I got with the hornady reload set.

7. Certaindeaf

Well there's your problem.

KalamaMark likes this.
  8. edslhead

Recommendations?

9. Certaindeaf

There's a whole bunch and I actually use a lot of common/already have in the household stuff but the common thing is, they pretty much approximate and are equivalent to (in consistency and performance) this stuff..
    Use your hand and not a pad.. there's lots of good threads here on this subject..

5aGv0ne5ANQvwM0HDw&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

10. edslhead

Thanks. I'll read the threads and maybe get some better stuff.

11. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

x2.get some rcbs lube or something more 'sticky' lol. any thing over .223 i use rcbs lube. hell, in a pinch i used 75w90synthetic gear oil. i prefer to put on a nitrile glove and squeeze some lube on it and each case i grab i put lube on. EXCEPT the neck and shoulder. havent had any problems.

if it happens to run dry or out of lube just spit on it.;):cool::cool::D:cool:

12. Certaindeaf

Nothing sucks more than a stuck case. We've all been there..

13. v0lcom13sn0w

not to hate on one shot. it works great for smaller stuff.

14. edslhead

It was working fine for straight cases but the necked ones, not so good.

15. Certaindeaf

Very true. Many make their own. But anyway, whatever you do, shake that crap up good just prior to the spritzing and let it dry. And say your prayers. lol
    I only use it on straight wall though so no praying necessary

edslhead and v0lcom13sn0w like this.
  16. v0lcom13sn0w

i put about 3-400 .223 in a ziplock gallon bag and spray one shot in it then shake it. once the thorough shaking is complete, i have 3-400 nicely lubed cases.

HotRod61 and edslhead like this.
  17. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

Try putting in the freezer over night then luke warm water like 120-130f may soften the brass enough to remove. If you don't have access to a remover or close to buy one.

edslhead likes this.
  18. Reno911

Reno911 Hillsboro Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Most lubes are made from lanolin. I make my own lube. 1 part lanolin to 8 parts alcohol. Mixed in a generic spray bottle. I've been using this for a while and refuse to pay the crazy mark up reloading companies charge for basically the same thing. That and this is less toxic.

edslhead likes this.
  19. Greenbug

Greenbug Bend Well-Known Member

Clean cases, clean dies, and proper lube will prevent this in the future. I have been using Hornady One Shot for many years with no stuck cases. Clean your cases before you resize and clean your dies often as well.

edslhead likes this.
  20. Rick4070

Rick4070 Central Oregon coast Active Member

It looks like the die has a neoprene O ring on it, You might try taking that off, warming the die in an oven at about 250 Deg, F., or so, then quench JUST the end of the case in ice water, and try and remove the case with a set of pliers. Brass transfers heat well, and this MIGHT shrink the brass enough.

If you can't get a hold of a case remover, if you can back the de-capping stem out enough, you could go to a hardware store, buy a 1/4" x 20 tap, and tap drill, (13/64" or a #7,) drill and tap the case head, and use a regular socket, (or a couple of nuts,) that will fit over the case head, and still bear on the bottom of the die, and with a 1/4"x 20 bolt and washer, screw the bolt into the case, and the case should pop right out.

Oathkeeper1775 and edslhead like this.