JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I once saw a guy digging up a blackberry bush vine and putting it into a 3 gal. plastic nursery container.
I stopped and asked him what he was going to do with it.
He replied that he was going to plant it in his backyard, because he loved eating the berries.
I couldn't believe anyone was that dumb, but he then informed me that he lived in Eastern Washington, and it wouldn't grow past where he would be watering it.

Until one day he hears from within the berry bush, "FEED ME"... Just like "Little Shop of Horrors". :D

Work with blackberries enough and you learn to trim on cool days so that you can wear long sleeves and a coat and gloves....of course, if you have strong enough fingers, you can grab the vines in between the thorns with your bare hands and dispose of them that way.

Dean

At one of my shooting spots a an old red truck with a mexican man and woman were coming out of the dead end.

Not too strange.

Well, the back of their truck was LOADED with a type of plant that grows all around that area. I mean, literally stuffed the flatbed of their truck with a tarp over it.
I have no idea why they would go to that kinf of trouble to harvest this type of plant.
To me it looks like some type of ground cover..

However, unless their was money in it.. Why would they pack their truck with that type of plant? A few trips out before, that exact type of plant was cut and rubber banded into bundles and set aside.. I thought it was covering a trail cam so I checked it out.. Nope.. Just a bundle of these "type" of leaves.

Drives me nuts, I want to know what exactly they are using this plant for.. But then again, curiosity killed the cat.
There are different kinds of "Mexicans". You have your Creollos who are Mexican born but of pure European ancestry; then there are your Meztisos who are your hybrid variety, mixed with European and native blood, and finally you have your pure natives like the Tahahumaras (who outrun marathon olympians while smoking Marloboro reds), and the Yaquis just to name a few; who are essentially American Indians who simply got caught on the wrong side of a line drawn on a map.

Anyway, the traditions of their "curanderas" (or healers) still lives to this day but is unfortunately slowly dying off. They have concoctions made from plants that we view as just weed and brush that will relieve poison oak exposure; some that reduce swelling, bruising, and even hemorrhages; some to break the worst of fevers- all kinds of things. I've seen it for myself, but they keep their old arts very secret. Many of those little "Indios" as they are called live well into triple digits.

It is possible that the people you saw were scouting for this purpose. Who knows. Imagine all the knowledge that will be lost when modernization catches up to the last of the ancient cultures. Tragic.

Work with blackberries enough and you learn to trim on cool days so that you can wear long sleeves and a coat and gloves....of course, if you have strong enough fingers, you can grab the vines in between the thorns with your bare hands and dispose of them that way.

Dean
Cool days?

This summer?

When was that?

I spent about three to five hours a day, every weekend that my flail mower was running this summer, mowing through brush. I would mow for about an hour, get overheated, take a break for an hour to cool down and catch my breath, then repeat and rinse.

When you have almost 20 acres and a good portion of it has brambles growing 20 feet high from not being cut after 15 years, and the ground has holes in it that like to trap your mower, and there is all kinds of crap (bottles, water heaters, boards, ground cloth, wire fencing, etc.) not to mention stumps and limbs from logging - it is a lot of work to control the brush with a walk behind flail mower.

I am trying to eliminate the brambles as much as possible. When I moved here I couldn't get into the woods because there were brambles everywhere, ten feet tall, blocking the paths. I would cut a small path and a couple of weeks later the path would be blocked again. Last year I ran through some of it near the house with a dozer and that helped, but a good portion of that tried to grow back this year.

Well, I was speaking generally, anyway, no one said you have to do it in the summer...best time to cut/trim most plants is in the fall when they go dormant. Less traumatic to the plant, or so says my sister, The Green Thumb.
...of course, if you got started in the morning, you could whittle away at them for at least a couple of hours before the heat started to kick in....of course, if you live in a populated area, you may have to use these to do it....
FV2YBTTH672WP05.LARGE.jpg
...and these, for some of the tougher sections...
31WN3TR1D7L._SX300_.jpg

My experience has shown you'll likely use the second one more than the first one.

Dean

There are different kinds of "Mexicans". You have your Creollos who are Mexican born but of pure European ancestry; then there are your Meztisos who are your hybrid variety, mixed with European and native blood, and finally you have your pure natives like the Tahahumaras (who outrun marathon olympians while smoking Marloboro reds), and the Yaquis just to name a few; who are essentially American Indians who simply got caught on the wrong side of a line drawn on a map.

Anyway, the traditions of their "curanderas" (or healers) still lives to this day but is unfortunately slowly dying off. They have concoctions made from plants that we view as just weed and brush that will relieve poison oak exposure; some that reduce swelling, bruising, and even hemorrhages; some to break the worst of fevers- all kinds of things. I've seen it for myself, but they keep their old arts very secret. Many of those little "Indios" as they are called live well into triple digits.

It is possible that the people you saw were scouting for this purpose. Who knows. Imagine all the knowledge that will be lost when modernization catches up to the last of the ancient cultures. Tragic.
Very interesting.

Heretic, I Attempt to keep to keep 50 acres at bay, which joins my sons 10.

We "almost" have a a stand off, and have a backhoe. The only thing that we have come up with that works are Goats.
Their a pain in the back sides to have to rotate and fence, but worth it.

We're holding steady to 10 acres that are not Timber conservancy.

This stuff laughs at a"Dr. Trimmer" but looses to the 12 Goats. A goat on a rope will lay havoc to what ever their near, use caution.

The Creollos also used to refer themselves as Castillian.

Nice shooting. Just remember that in Oregon I don't think we can use handguns (except a rimfire) on game birds.

You are correct.

Rimfire rifles and handguns can be used on upland game birds.

Edit: I looked it up, and only "forest grouse" can be taken with a rimfire rifle or handgun, NOT Partridge, Pheasant, Quail, or Wild Turkey..

Sorry for any confusion on my part.....

Last Edited:
You are correct.

Rimfire rifles and handguns can be used on upland game birds.

Edit: I looked it up, and only "forest grouse" can be taken with a rimfire rifle or handgun, NOT Partridge, Pheasant, Quail, or Wild Turkey..

Sorry for any confusion on my part.....

Even in self defense??? ;) I did not know that. Info muchly appreciated.

The Creollos also used to refer themselves as Castillian.
I have friends that call themselves Castillian :s0105:and they have explained to me the types of Ethnic Mexican People. My friends Mother was basically a Witch, as well as her Mother and more than likely the generations before her.:s0028: All I can say is what I have witnessed is real, and it can be used for good or bad. Heavy Duty Stuff ! :s0076:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top