JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
helene_traasavic_toilet_paper.jpg

Way up in the Eagle Caps I was hunting a little canyon. Smelled something off and could hear a growling and such maybe 40 yards away. Yep Badger den! First one I have ever stumbled across. Mama was pretty irritated I was trespassing! I went uphill aways and sat and watched, she went about her business with the little ones.. Yep she had 3 little ones about, something else I had never seen. Funny thing after watching them for about an hour I went 800 yards further down the canyon and ran into a nice 5x6 bull elk...

Tag filled!

Last summer my buddies and I were hunting for coyotes in the middle of the night across from browns camp and way up in the mountain we found a rave party with dubstep, a Lazer show, and all kinds of drugs it was definally a strange thing to find in the forrest
Not in my old stomping grounds in the 70's.
They weren't raves but there were plenty a party going on with plenty of loud Zeplin and drugs
Ahh the Mashel river
So I lived in Gig Harbor for a few years.Neighbor kid says they had a mass graduation party,250 people and 5 kegs!!!
I asked about the riots, he didn't understand
I said we had 5 kegs for about 40-50 people,there would have been riots if we only had 5 kegs for a 250 person party
Yeah,plus the bottle and bag of goodies everyone brought

Oh man I forgot about something neat my grandfather found..
Tillamook burn about 1950 or so. My uncle and grandfather were out on an afternoon hunt. They were glassing across a canyon and spotted the shine of a barrel leaning on a stump. Then they could see a lunchbox...

Well they made the hike over.. Yep rifle, loaded safety on. Lunch box, thermos full of cold coffee, hunting knife inside the lunch box, and a few loose rounds. No sign of anyone around anywhere. They called the local law.. They came out looked around.. No fowl play anywhere, no missing person reports. No cars or trucks left around.. Like someone said welp I ain't hunting anymore and just walked away...
After 30 days the Tillamook cops turned everything over to my grandpa.. They said finders keepers!

I still have the rifle and knife. Remington 721 300 H&H Ackely Improved no less...with a Lyman Alaskan 2.5x on top.. I will have to get it out and snap some pics! I found it strange that someone would have an Ackley improved rifle and just leave it.. That was a big thing back then...but who knows what the person was thinking..

My grandfather and uncle never fired the rifle.. They thought something weird happened.. Gramps just stashed it away.

I have found lots of weird people out in the woods,:s0125: actually they found me somehow. Nudist's, Exhibitionist's, Fudge Packer's and Crack Snacker's. :s0027:I used to have a Gold Mining Claim many years ago that I believe was Haunted. Often I would not see another person for days, that was really nice, but I would hear kids giggling or laughter and I turn around to expect someone standing there and nobody there. :s0092:It gave me goosebumps and I thought maybe it was just me but one time me and my buddy were on the way home from there and we did not see anyone all day and it was dark. We were driving along the dirt FS road and had the windows down and were driving slow to not kick up dust and we hear this sound of a shovel hitting a rock and we both look at each other and say did you hear that ? :s0095:It was pitch black out side and the sound came from a real steep ledge, so we back up and turn off the lights and it was dead quiet and no sign of anyone and did not see any other vehicles. When we got to the main road we both said'' now that was weird !'' :s0153:

This is probably the coolest thread I have ever seen.

This did not happen to me, I guess I haven't been in the backcountry enough to run into creepy/strange/interesting things.
This find occurred in the foothills of the Sierra range in Calif, in an area that is now a rural community around a lake so whatever else is still buried out there is probably going to stay buried. I was recovering from a broken leg, so I didn't go and hubby stayed with me in camp and fished (yes, I went camping/fishing with a broken leg, hubby knew it was the best way to cheer me up :D).
My BIL and his wife went hiking out in an area that was fairly remote at the time, along the river that is now dammed to create the present day lake, when he saw something sticking out of the river bank that didn't look quite right for a rock, but seemed too big for a bone. He started digging around it and realized it was long with a larger diameter than what he originally thought, it finally dawned on him what it was, a mammoth tusk!
He uncovered the whole thing and his wife helped him carry it out, hoping the whole way they didn't happen upon someone else. He showed it to us when we got back and we helped him wrap it and put it in his truck. He never reported his find and he knew that it would be taken from him if he took it to a museum.
He had that tusk sitting on display in his living room for the longest time, until they moved out of state.

At one of my shooting spots a an old red truck with a mexican man and woman were coming out of the dead end.

Not too strange.

Well, the back of their truck was LOADED with a type of plant that grows all around that area. I mean, literally stuffed the flatbed of their truck with a tarp over it.
I have no idea why they would go to that kinf of trouble to harvest this type of plant.
To me it looks like some type of ground cover..

However, unless their was money in it.. Why would they pack their truck with that type of plant? A few trips out before, that exact type of plant was cut and rubber banded into bundles and set aside.. I thought it was covering a trail cam so I checked it out.. Nope.. Just a bundle of these "type" of leaves.

Drives me nuts, I want to know what exactly they are using this plant for.. But then again, curiosity killed the cat.

They were probably harvesting salal. Floral shops buy them is what I heard.
Ill look that up. I remember what it looked like.. But had no idea what it was.

JUST LOOKED IT UP! The bundle of leaves on google images is EXACTLY like what they made and left behind. And those are the leaves that were in the truck.
Thank you!
The one question that was driving me nuts is answered!

At one of my shooting spots a an old red truck with a mexican man and woman were coming out of the dead end.

Not too strange.

Well, the back of their truck was LOADED with a type of plant that grows all around that area. I mean, literally stuffed the flatbed of their truck with a tarp over it.
I have no idea why they would go to that kinf of trouble to harvest this type of plant.

However, unless their was money in it.. Why would they pack their truck with that type of plant? A few trips out before, that exact type of plant was cut and rubber banded into bundles and set aside.. I thought it was covering a trail cam so I checked it out.. Nope.. Just a bundle of these "type" of leaves.

Drives me nuts, I want to know what exactly they are using this plant for.. But then again, curiosity killed the cat.

Oh man, I was reading this thinking you were making a joke about illegal weed growing, maybe not knowing that it's the flower that is harvested not the leaves. LOL, I guess I just kind of expect that sort of thing around here.

Oh man, I was reading this thinking you were making a joke about illegal weed growing, maybe not knowing that it's the flower that is harvested not the leaves. LOL, I guess I just kind of expect that sort of thing around here.
I thought maybe it was cocain or something? I dont know too much about that stuff other than this was a big green leaf so thats what my guess was.. Who knew people pay for some kind of strange plant like that just for bouquets and arrangements haha

Not too strange.

When I saw this when walking the dogs out towards Forks,the little guy carrying it fell back into the brush to hide from me.I'm guessing he didn't gots not papers?lol

I think you need a special permit to harvest those plants in the National Forests.
Same thing with the Cascara (Chitem) tree.
Guys would go into the woods and strip off the bark and then sell it to pharmaceutical companies as a laxative ingredient.
You have to wear gloves when handling it when it's green, or else you spend your day with your pants around ankles.
Looks just like an Alder tree.

I thought maybe it was cocain or something? I dont know too much about that stuff other than this was a big green leaf so thats what my guess was.. Who knew people pay for some kind of strange plant like that just for bouquets and arrangements haha

Now that you know what the plant looks like ZA, try eating the "wild blueberry" that it grows,, your gonna be surprised by what you've been missing, I'm talking Mmmm Mmm good!

Found this debris pile bleeding up out of the left lateral moraine of the Nisqually glacier yesterday..
IMG_16501.JPG

US Air Force yellow "breathing oxygen" bottle with old style nomenclature (current bottles, even old ones, say "airman breathable oxygen").. fuselage pieces, what looks like some hydraulic line, seat vinyl, seatbelt, and a cobbled boot heal piece. Also some bits and pieces of chewed up canvas. (the snow basket/trekking poll is mine, just got in the way of the pic)

Found this piece, with what looks like the same style paint, much higher up at about 10,000' on the tippy top of the Wapowty Cleaver between Kautz and Wilson glaciers a couple years ago:

100_4081.JPG

I guess not exactly found "in the woods," but pretty remarkable to me. Artifacts from dead men. I left everything exactly as I found it, out of respect.

I'd originally thought the pieces I found higher up must have come from the Marine transport that hit the mountain in '46, but I recently read a history on that crash and they indicated the plane was painted black, not the usual C-46 OD color scheme. Continued research pulled up an Air Force T-33 that crashed into the... guess what.... Wapowty Cleaver in '66.

Debris piles thousands of feet in elevation and several miles from each other, but glaciers pull stuff a long, long ways, especially after a half a century. They're from the same crash.

Ill look that up. I remember what it looked like.. But had no idea what it was.

JUST LOOKED IT UP! The bundle of leaves on google images is EXACTLY like what they made and left behind. And those are the leaves that were in the truck.
Thank you!
The one question that was driving me nuts is answered!
Now you know what the sign that says, "No Brush Picking" means.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top