JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, I bought a Dillon XL650 shortly after Oba$tard was elected. I began working up loads for every caliber firearm I own. I progressed from reassert to full-fledged handloader, IMHO.
Anyway, I was recently given an old Rock Chucker press and I couldn't resist setting it up and putting out to good use. My first loads were .357mag. I really enjoyed the feeling of "handcrafting" my ammo using this single stage press. I have since started loading .44 mag and 30-30 rounds. Moreover, I recently obtained an even older Pacific C press. I can't wait to get it up and running.

Has anyone else gone through this reverse progression, from newer generation progressive press to more traditional single stage press?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

Not the "regression process" but still use my Rockchucker for ammo that is best when hand crafted. On one end of my bench I have a 650 and the other is home to an RC-II that's recently celebrated it's 32nd birthday.

I totally agree that there is a certain amount of pride when one sits down to load a box of the "most perfect ammo they can make" on an old (or new) single stage.

That said, there's also a lot to be said for "punching out" 1,000 or more rounds of .223 and 9mm for a fun trip to that favorite shooting spot with your grand kids. With mine, there are only two kinds of ammunition. "Some" and "More" with no such thing as "Enough". You need a progressive like the 650 to keep up.

Got to admit though that I shoot my share as well:cool::cool:

Not to the point of a single stage anyway....... I have a Dillon 1050 I run for a my high volume calibers. As slow as I have gone back is with the Dilon 550B I keep around for the lower volume calibers I run.

We single-stage true "Handloaders" are all proud of you, tdocz.

If you revert all the way to a Lee Loader, however, we will start to worry. (Hurry! Somebody hide the plastic powder scoops!)

Lol. I actually used the Lee yellow scoop with my first .357mag load. I quickly gave up on that approach. I finally set up a Pacific powder dispenser. It's consistent and speeds up the process a bit. I will still hand measure my rifle loads.

I don't know about the old Lee press but I didn't think I could revert beyond my old Pacific C press. I guess I need to do some research on the history of 20th century handloading.

What would a plastic mallet be used for? Seating primers? Lol!

What would a plastic mallet be used for? Seating primers? Lol!

That as well as removing the old primer and seating the bullet. The first Lee LOader has also been called a "Whack A Mole" loader. Every operation performed today by a press ram was then done in a die that needed a hammer to provide the force.

Actually, they aren't bad to this day if someone wants something real simple to use while working up a load at the range. The Lee Loader, a box of primers, box of bullets, scale and scoops, and some powder. Use the same 3-5 cases to work up the load and remove them as the variable.

I see some old pro BR shooters still using them, not the fancy Wilson Dies with arbor presses. Simple is not always bad.

I have a Remington bolt in 300 savage, and I shoot about 25 to 30 rounds per year through it, and I use my trusty Lee Loader and hammer. It works perfect because it only neck sizes the cases and seats the bullet exactly right each time. I have had and used it since 1982.

I have a Remington bolt in 300 savage, and I shoot about 25 to 30 rounds per year through it, and I use my trusty Lee Loader and hammer. It works perfect because it only neck sizes the cases and seats the bullet exactly right each time. I have had and used it since 1982.

An ideal set-up for your purposes.

Hmm. I just noticed a pic of some RCBS presses. I think my press is actually a Rock Chucker Jr not a Rock Chucker. It's good to know I suppose. I guess it doesn't really matter. I learn something new every day. Lol.

I've absolutely gone in reverse for my handloading. I bought a Dillon someyears ago to produce "blaster" ammo, and have since learned to appreciate quality over quantity. I use my 1970 RCBS for 95% of handoading duties since I now savor every trigger-pull like it was my last. Every step for every round has been touched by me- I own it with every shot and it shows on paper.

................. I'm going to the garage now, thanks!

Garage??? With no kids in a 4 Bedroom house, I took over one of the rooms. Garages are for cars:cool:

No fair, I protest! With 2 kids in a small 3 bedroom house, I barely have space to handload in the garage. That's it, I need to buy a bigger house. I'm taking my kids out of that fancy schmancy private school. They can do their lernin' in a public school like a good green shirt...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads