JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hum, I like Starbucks...but we don't have one here in the Highlands...I do need a Dutch Oven though, I have Sauerbraten soaking in the frig, and just noticed, our youngest daughter has "borrowed" my dutch oven. How am I going to cook my Sauerbraten without my dutch oven...

Would you rather teach your kids about how to order a Starbucks, or how to make peach cobbler in the Dutch?
Would you rather teach your kid how to sit around a Starbucks and pontificate about Jersey shore, or sit around a camp fire, and wittle on a stick?

Cause the growth of Starbucks, is much greater than the sales of camping equipment, and Dutch ovens.

This is just a thought, and probably not a great comparison. But, you get my drift. Let's put our Time, where our mouth is....

I'm going to teach my kid how to properly tell their assistant to order precisely what they want from Starbucks while they're kicking back and making a peach cobbler in some 40 year old dutch oven from their grandma.

I'm going to teach my kid to properly berate their assistant, and then whittle mini spears to throw at this assistant for getting that mochalottafrappe order wrong.

I'm also going to make sure I have a large enough company that my kid's assistant comes from some school like Yale, or Dartmouth.

Hum, I like Starbucks...but we don't have one here in the Highlands...I do need a Dutch Oven though, I have Sauerbraten soaking in the frig, and just noticed, our youngest daughter has "borrowed" my dutch oven. How am I going to cook my Sauerbraten without my dutch oven...

Most excellent, I'm making a sauerbraten soon too!

I have a belief that with a good iron frying pan, and a strong dough you can construct a cooking vessel that will let you properly braise the sauerbraten. Then, before you start making the gravy, you break the crust, throw it out, and then finish the dish.

I'm pretty familiar with dutch ovens...

[video=youtube_share;L82YAaC7PzU]http://youtu.be/L82YAaC7PzU[/video]

But seriously...good post. Got into an argument with the Ms. about wanting to toss the Playstation. I think no TV, Social Media or Video Games would be a good thing.

We have had the same discussions here, I am concerned that many are raised with no basic skills. I mean basic basic stuff, like how to cook,make a fire, clean and handle firearms. As a kid it was part of growing up by the time I was 10 I could shoot, cook and make fire about 7.
IT was something for survival and was taught as a need to know. Now you are taught how to text and send attachments via a smart phone. And know what a latte is good lord> I tell my kids this is stuff you learn to survive, the other is stuff is a hobby .

Add to that: tie some basic knots, fishing and otherwise; write a hand-written thank-you; clean up after yourself in your house, the outdoors, and your life.

We have made it a golden rule from day one, with our 4 kids, NO video games in this home.
Tv yes. Inert net limited.
Sorry to sound like a know it all, but the difference between my kids and most other kids is Astounding. Parents always say, man your kids seem much older then other kids. They can actually have a great conversation with adults. There happy. There respectful.
There 8, 5, 3, and 6 months.
It's works.
Tell your wife to quit backing up the kids, and allowing the games all day.
It's time to be sheriff of balls ville guys...

If you want a good cup of Joe, then stay far away from Starbucks, lol!

Well I dont call it starchucks for nothing!!!!!!! lol I used to like there coffee but then they went to crap!!!! I have a few local stands we stop at every now and then to get coffee other wise we like a few of the local roast for home brew!!!!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top