JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If using walnut, how often do you toss out the media and start over?
When I have to increase the tumbling time 2x and the brass is still not shiny.
just me though,
:D
Edit: if you're real cheap like most re-loaders, you can put the dirty media is a pillow case and put it in the washer...don't get caught though.
:eek:

Last Edited:
If using walnut, how often do you toss out the media and start over?

Once it starts getting darker than I like. I just "eyeball it". When I started reloading I purchased a used tumbler and bought walnut from an esteemed member. Having no idea how much I'd use I bought A LOT! It was really cheep so I bought something like 60#s. :eek: I read on the board here about folks using it for a real LONG time, but like Tilos says, if you've got to run it for twice as long to get the same shine....change it.

So after input from you folks (thanks), I tried an experiment using a metal polish/carnuba wax that I had on hand from the fair a couple years ago. I drizzled in probably about 3 tablespoons worth and ran the tumbler about 20 minutes before dumping in some 38 special brass. It did indeed knock down the dust, and the rounds came out much cleaner than before. I think my media is getting tired however and will try the same thing on some fresh media to see what happens. The current media has probably processed several hundred each off 7mm, 22-250, 38spl, and 243 brass.

I have Amazon Prime and buy/use this, shows up on my porch in 3 days:
Amazon.com : Zilla Reptile Terrarium Bedding Substrate Desert Blend Walnut, 10-Qt. : Pet Habitat Decor : Pet Supplies
Read the reviews and you'll find most who buy it use it for tumbling;)
Can be bought at any chain pet store like PetSmart too
Edit: my favorite review:
"Can't believe this is still on the market! Lizard Litter killed our iguana, Lucy! We bought it because it was supposed to be safe. Over time, she ingested enough to cause major impaction. We spent $3500 on surgery to try and save her but her intestines were already damaged beyond repair. This product caused us great loss and heartache. PLS BE WARNED AND DO NOT USE FOR YOUR PETS!"

$3500 spent on a sick lizard :confused: Sorry for what I typed right there :(

Last Edited:
So after input from you folks (thanks), I tried an experiment using a metal polish/carnuba wax that I had on hand from the fair a couple years ago. I drizzled in probably about 3 tablespoons worth and ran the tumbler about 20 minutes before dumping in some 38 special brass. It did indeed knock down the dust, and the rounds came out much cleaner than before. I think my media is getting tired however and will try the same thing on some fresh media to see what happens. The current media has probably processed several hundred each off 7mm, 22-250, 38spl, and 243 brass.

Three tablespoons is way too much! :eek: I don't think I want a bunch of waxy stuff inside the brass. I only use couple of teaspoons, maybe three. Then I may also add one or two more teaspoons three or so runs of brass down the line.

I use Multi Shot Stainless tumbling media in a vibratory cleaner. I mix in Dawn dish washing soap with about half a Gallon of hot water. Once clean, I put my brass on a pin dryer tray I made, and place it in the oven @180 deg until dry.

Three tablespoons is way too much! :eek: I don't think I want a bunch of waxy stuff inside the brass. I only use couple of teaspoons, maybe three. Then I may also add one or two more teaspoons three or so runs of brass down the line.
I hear some guys cut that stuff/dose with like a half ounce of odorless mineral spirits if no one's said that yet..

I hear some guys cut that stuff/dose with like a half ounce of odorless mineral spirits if no one's said that yet..
yea, OMS is the chits
No one has mentioned the 1/4 of a used dryer sheet added to the tumbler for dust collection either, wait I just did :eek:
I just step outside and pour the media/brass from the tumbler into the separator and the wind/breeze blows the dust away.
just sayin'

I use a stainless media in a tumbler and then drop the cases onto the trays of my dehydrator for an hour. All brass looks brand new! I would never go back to any other way of cleaning my brass.

I didn't notice any kind of build up in the cases.... Maybe I have more media in the tumbler? I tried using a smaller amount but it didn't seem to be working . ... anyway, I am obviously going to have to experiment a little...

Thanks for the link on the lizard killer stuff :p That seems like a good, economical way to go.... And I don't have any lizards:D

I didn't notice any kind of build up in the cases.... Maybe I have more media in the tumbler? I tried using a smaller amount but it didn't seem to be working . ... anyway, I am obviously going to have to experiment a little...

Thanks for the link on the lizard killer stuff :p That seems like a good, economical way to go.... And I don't have any lizards:D

I've basically gone by what it says on the bottle of the Frankford Arsenal stuff and it only calls for a teaspoon or three. Maybe I run mine longer too? Usually 3+ hours.

I have Amazon Prime and buy/use this, shows up on my porch in 3 days:
Amazon.com : Zilla Reptile Terrarium Bedding Substrate Desert Blend Walnut, 10-Qt. : Pet Habitat Decor : Pet Supplies
Read the reviews and you'll find most who buy it use it for tumbling;)
Can be bought at any chain pet store like PetSmart too
Edit: my favorite review:
"Can't believe this is still on the market! Lizard Litter killed our iguana, Lucy! We bought it because it was supposed to be safe. Over time, she ingested enough to cause major impaction. We spent $3500 on surgery to try and save her but her intestines were already damaged beyond repair. This product caused us great loss and heartache. PLS BE WARNED AND DO NOT USE FOR YOUR PETS!"

$3500 spent on a sick lizard :confused: Sorry for what I typed right there :(

I saw a utube video about cleaning brass with this here lizard killer stuff & the guy said to add a cup of uncooked rice to the mix.....:eek:
I figure it couldn't hurt..... Unless I poured it into my dragons lair......:)

Well, the question of whether to go with ultrasonic or stainless steel tumbler has been rendered moot... I just opened the Christmas present from my son and inside is a nice shiny new Frankford SS tumbler :D..... Guess what I'm doing tomorrow?

Is Lemishine available locally ?
Walmart in the cleaning products area. It's a powder and looks like..

lemi-e1444831867777.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads