JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am finding that my sinuses don't like the vibratory media dust when I go to separate my casings from the media. I wear a mask, but that's an annoyance. Additionally, the vibratory doesn't clean the inside of the brass, which is another annoyance... I am starting to dream about going to a liquid cleaner in either a stainless steel tumbler or ultrasonic... Both appear to clean cases inside and out from my reading... Any thoughts on which is better and why?

I don't really mind it when I separate the media from the brass which does a fair job of cleaning the insides of pistol brass. I don't like the added time to dry out brass & add another step to the reloading process. I would always wonder if any moisture was left in just one case ..... :s0159:

I've used several wet tumblers, HF dual drum model and the Frankfort Arsenal tumbler. The larger tumbler is much easier to use because you have the capacity for a lot more brass. You definitely need to take the time to let the brass dry properly. I once made the mistake of putting all my cleaned brass in sealed plastic containers. Luckily, I noticed the condensation a few days later and then dried it all properly. Is it a pain in the rear to spin out the pins and dewater between batches? Yes, but there is no dust involved. I consider it a part of the hobby.

I like the idea of both mechanical and chemical cleaning in one pass. I can't imagine ultrasonic being as effective.

I switched from vibratory with walnut shells to a Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler (FART) last summer and absolutely love it! Brass so clean it looks new. In the summer I just spread it out on an old cookie sheet and let it dry in the sun. I have also dried it on the oven at 175 until dry, no problems.
Separating the pins isn't too tough but be very deliberate as they can get away from you.

Tumbling threads are the most popular on all re-loading websites, with everyone having a process they declare "the best".
You don't say what media you are using but I'll guess it's walnut because of the dust issue.

I can only relate my "best" process of vibratory tumbling, developed thru much trial and error.
1.- De-prime but not resize all brass
2.- Wash/Dry all brass because it's sandy where I shoot
3.- Insp. for primer crimp and remove, range brass only
4.- Add Nu-Finish/OMS mix to FINE Walnut media and TUMBLE just media until it no longer clumps.
5.- Add brass and tumble
6.- Separate media/brass
7.-Return the brass to the tumbler, tumble no media, to shake out any stuck media.
8.- Run thru progressive press.

The Nu-Finish and Odorless Mineral Spirits (OMS) mix cleans the insides and primer holes of all cases, with the Nu-Finish leaving a "waxed" coating that makes sizing easier and keeps the brass from tarnishing. (and no dust)
I load on progressives and de-prime prior to tumbling to keep the crud off my press.

just what I do, and don't plan to switch to Ultra or Wet,
jmo
:D

Last Edited:
Yes, I have been using walnut media... I haven't been adding any metal polish to the media...just running naked walnut. Maybe I should give that a shot first before switching... Where do you get this Nu-Finish stuff from?

Yes, I have been using walnut media... I haven't been adding any metal polish to the media...just running naked walnut. Maybe I should give that a shot first before switching... Where do you get this Nu-Finish stuff from?
I get mine from Auto Zone but any place that sells auto polish should have it. Just dump a bit less then a cap full in your tumbler and let it run till the globs of it are gone, about 10 min. Shines your brass, makes brass super slick(easier to size) and prevents the brass from tarnishing.

Nu-Finish auto "polish" can be found anywhere automotive stuff is sold, Walmart/Target, orange bottle.
Get some odorless mineral spirits too, in the paint dept. in the same stores, it'll knock down the dust and clean the inside and primer pockets too.
I put in about 2x as much as Nu-Finish and actually mix the 2 in a small vile (plastic prescription bottle)
good luck,
:D

Last Edited:
I don't tumble brass, just let it get oxidized. It doesn't hurt anything. I want to avoid "cold welding".

I do usually wipe the necks right after shooting with 0000 steel wool though, just to get the carbon off the outside.

Love my Frankford rotary, keep an eye on Amazon, it cycles round every few weeks for $159.99 - Their magnet to get the steel pins out is only about $8 when i bought it.

Oh yeah, forgot to say re the ultrasonic, i wouldn't bother cleaning brass with it, it's more of a specific part cleaning method, not to mention the price and how fussy it is with multiple items.

I don't tumble brass, just let it get oxidized. It doesn't hurt anything. I want to avoid "cold welding".

I do usually wipe the necks right after shooting with 0000 steel wool though, just to get the carbon off the ou

I subscribe to the old adage "cleanliness is close to Godliness", and under the right circumstances, I would have no issues introducing some of the dregs of society to Godliness with my nice shiny rounds:cool:

As far as cold welding, I am not sure I subscribe to that particular idea... And even if I did, I not sure that I could buy that carbon build up in the neck would negate appreciably the "cold welding" issue... But that's just my two cents worth and worth less than that no doubt:p

Stainless media

Then.... get a food dehydrator and dry brass in there. 1-2 hours at 160* does it

Lol... what a coincidence.... I just got my daughter a food dehydrator for Christmas....hmmmm....:D
That's perfect. Make sure tumbling soap has wax and they will come out shiny and stay that way. (Assuming you don't rinse them with hot water)

Small amount of lemishine and a small amount of dawn. Though I think I was going to try some wash and wax instead of dawn.

All previous have come out after an hour, clean and shiny, inside and out.

I can only relate my "best" process of vibratory tumbling, developed thru much trial and error.
1.- De-prime but not resize all brass
2.- Wash/Dry all brass because it's sandy where I shoot
3.- Insp. for primer crimp and remove, range brass only
4.- Add Nu-Finish/OMS mix to FINE Walnut media and TUMBLE just media until it no longer clumps.
5.- Add brass and tumble
6.- Separate media/brass
7.-Return the brass to the tumbler, tumble no media, to shake out any stuck media.
8.-load

You forgot to re-size! :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews