JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
ok, I am screwing up somewhere obviously. I tried the SS tumbler first with a squirt of LemiShine and a squirt of Nu-Finish and got really gross black water out of the combination of brass and nickle cases I put in after 3 hours of tumbling, so tried again with about an ounce of LemiShine and a generous squirt of Dawn.... this time the solution had bubbles after 3 hours of tumbling, still had gross black water, and still dull looking cases..... WTF?o_O The stainless pins look dull as well..... Crap... I was getting better results out of the vibratory:eek:... Help

Typically too much or. Or enough Leminin conjunction with soap being low can cause that.

1-45/9mm cap of lemi powder and 1.5-2oz soap for a full load.

If you'e using well water, you may have minerals interfering with the soap and Lemi Shine. Might want to add a dishwasher rinse agent. Those are basically hard water neutralizing agents and should help make the water wetter.

If the cases are dirty, you will have black and dirty water. Just think of all that stuff that is in the walnut after running a batch.

Might want to clean the pins as well. I run mine by themselves occasionally and am surprised by how dirty they are.

I think I have discovered my problem. The Lemishine I bought comes in a squirt bottle and I noticed that that you were referring to Lemishine "powder".... I believe I bought a bottle of Lemishine rinse agent instead of detergent:oops:... ya, I know.... "dumbass"o_O

So is there a reason for specifically Lemishine or will any dishwasher detergent work?

Ok, this may sound completely crazy, but has anyone ever tried that GoJo orange hand cleaner you use for getting grease off your hands in the shop? It has an abrasive in it, maybe pumice...

That's going to, or should have some citrus in it, so it's something you can experiment with for sure. I would replace the dawn and lemi with just that if you're trying it.

I think I have discovered my problem. The Lemishine I bought comes in a squirt bottle and I noticed that that you were referring to Lemishine "powder".... I believe I bought a bottle of Lemishine rinse agent instead of detergent:oops:... ya, I know.... "dumbass"o_O

So is there a reason for specifically Lemishine or will any dishwasher detergent work?

LemiShine is a Water softener. Very important. Dishwasher detergent has other crap in it.

Not so much that the Citric acid does the work but it what hinders the soap from working. The concentrated amount in the powdered LemiShine is what gives the results.

Imagine the amount of heavy metals, chemicals etc you are trying to wash from brass. I doubt the concentration in the dishwasher soap is high enough to bind to allow the soap to work properly.

$3 or whatever it is for the powder and move forward.

Last Edited:

Ya need to use the Lemishine. As Dyjital noted, the dishwasher soap has stuff in it that doesn't help. I have tried various DW powders and Lemishine seems the best. Got mine at Wally's. I also think the dash of Dawn helps too.

Now going back to your original post about the dust. You can put a 1/2 sheet of fabric softener in there and it will help control the dust and suck up a lot of the carbon and dirt.

ok, I am screwing up somewhere obviously. I tried the SS tumbler first with a squirt of LemiShine and a squirt of Nu-Finish and got really gross black water out of the combination of brass and nickle cases I put in after 3 hours of tumbling, so tried again with about an ounce of LemiShine and a generous squirt of Dawn.... this time the solution had bubbles after 3 hours of tumbling, still had gross black water, and still dull looking cases..... WTF?o_O The stainless pins look dull as well..... Crap... I was getting better results out of the vibratory:eek:... Help

Use Lemi and Dawn for the wash. The Nu-Finish is like a silicone sealer; that comes later. If your water is still black use a bit more of Lemi and Dawn and re-run it. Time your tumble with an egg timer if needed but don't forget to take it out as soon as done and rinse well with clean water. Then drop them in a tub or can of water with a wash and wax car polish in it, (not NuFinish which is a rub-on-dry wax), and swirl it around; this seals the brass. **or** If you just have the NuFinish then use it in your rotary tumbler. 1 Cap full, run a few minutes, break up lumps with your hands if any, then tumble your brass for 1/2 to 1 hours to seal it. Be nice to the daughter. She may let you dry in her dehydrator.
(edited 1/9)

Last Edited:
The rotary has a timer on it :)

Don't worry about dirty water, it's *supposed* to be dirty, it's the carrier for the dirt. If you're going to try a car wax, you need to use a wash n wax product, otherwise you *will* have to use it separately as @OreShooter says.

Sounds like your recipe for the cleaning liquid might be wrong - way too much Lemi-Shine. Try this - 1 gallon of tap water, one small squirt of liquid dish detergent, and a small pinch of Lemi-shine.

Nu-finish works great in the vibratory (dry media) cleaners, but never worked for me in the wet system.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top