Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Square Register just said NO to Ammunition and Parts

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Uberdillo, May 10, 2013.

1. Uberdillo

Uberdillo Oregon Active Member

Since I recently became aware of inexpensive, mobile credit card readers, I noticed that at the last gunshow a large number of vendors use Square Register for their sales. I can only imagine how many merchants in their online directory come up when you look for the words "ammo" or "ammunition." They seemed to be the go-to option since Paypal has been sporadically enforcing their no firearm related sales policy and locking people's accounts along with funds. Square apparently just updated their user agreement from prohibiting:

Old:https://squareup.com/legal/merchant-ua?elq=f303ed0d56d04848b68f647e4265afc0&elqCampaignId=58

to

New: https://squareup.com/legal/seller-agreement

Seems like they'd rather be the preferred method for small restaurants.

2. bzltyr

bzltyr Portland Metro area Active Member

dont let them know what is being sold. Say its tree hugger flowers.

3. Cremator75

Cremator75 Portland, OR Active Member

+1
    Be nondescript on your receipt and explain that to the buyer. It will be a non issue like PayPal.

4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

true they aren't a bar code reader. They just read the buyers card and debt the account that much moving the money minus their cut to the sellers account.

I use my Paypal Debt card all the time to buy firearms and gun stuff. It has a Mastercard symbol on it so it has to be accepted for anything a Mastercard is. Says what I am buying and from who right on the receipt and my account summary.

5. Uberdillo

Uberdillo Oregon Active Member

Sounds like business as usual then. Maybe I've just read too much internet rumor of lockouts from transactions on Ebay and Gunbroker.

6. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Never tell these places exactly what you sell. It is none of their business.

7. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Tell them you are selling hairy sacks, and that you'd be happy to send them a sample they that could take a smell of.

8. nick1980

nick1980 Portland, OR Active Member

I buy gun parts on ebay and only use paypal. you can buy barrels, mags etc...

9. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

10. Will_Power

Will_Power OR via OK Active Member

From another forum about this same issue:

Source.

Read further in that thread at R/Guns and it seems that the real culprit here isn't the evil, anti-gun Square, but rather all the panic buyers who have had second thoughts and caused a big spike in chargebacks.

11. soyeah

soyeah WA New Member

I have no idea what's going on with Square and any policy changes they did or didn't make, but let's not get some mumbo jumbo about PCI compliance or per-swipe rates mixed up with concerns about what a payment processor says is an acceptable item to purchase. PCI compliance is an industry regulation. Prohibiting the sale of specific items is a bank/retailer/processor policy issue.

Services from companies like Square are required to be PCI compliant, so any argument that they are NOT compliant is bunk. (And PCI compliance doesn't allow/disallow the purchase of specific items.) I really don't know what's happening with this whole Square issue, but it's worth noting that the e-mail address offered by the "manager for First Data" in the above link does not actually go to First Data. Their people use an "@firstdata.com" address, and this person used an "@firstdataisc.com" address. Somewhere in the thread there may be grains of truth here and there, but there's also a lot of garbage clouding the picture.

12. Diamondback

Diamondback A cold, wet green Hell Well-Known Member

Intuit has also outed themselves as anti-gun too, though...