JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have you ever woke up in the morning and think, yah I probably have enough different calibers to reload for and then something out of the ordinary happens...

Walk into a local boomsticks shop and a very nice elderly gentleman is putting something back into its case. The owner of the shop was telling the fellow that he would never be able to sell it because you cannot just hit the hardware store or any sporting goods store to purchase ammo.

What's this I hear?

The gentleman says oh it's just my old bench rifle. Nobody is interested in it.
Oh yah?
Lemmie take a peek

.25ABR which is similar to a .250 Savage. That's the parent case it uses.
Older 1965 or so Rem 700 action.
1.5 dia douglas premium bbl
Sleeved action, pre custom bench rest actions. Builders would make a sleeve to make the action more ridgid.
I need to take a peek at the trigger to see who the mfg is. It's set at 2oz

Anyhow it came with arbor press micrometer adjustable dies.
100 plus rounds of loaded ammo,
50 empties
Load data
Round count on this barrel
The scope is a Weaver 36x, not the best scope but it sure is clear.

And I paid for the entire package just about what the Weaver scope cost new.

I took it out and put it on the bench and my first groups were under .375. Not bad for 3 shot groups.,

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I saw a nice Steyr for sale for $300 but someone had ruined it by reaming it out to .243 Ackley Improved so I didn't buy it.

img_4197.jpg

Just kidding!

Nice rig.

Back in Sequim,a retirement village,the gun shop was right on main street.
I and a few others would stop buy almost daily cause, Sequim is a retirement village. Husbands die first?
Wives almost always sell the guns off right away?
The owner would sometimes have to shoo us away cause we would be drooling on the guns the poor old gal brought in.
Sometimes it was junk,sometimes they were treasures.
Funny part was us acting like kind young men and opening the door or helping carry them in:rolleyes:

Long answer:
Yea, went to buy an old SA .22lr revolver and ended up buying the guys .22mag rifle as well when he made me an offer to buy it.

Not for a great deal or rare rifle like in the OP though:(.

Short answer:
Every day I wake up I don't expect to buy a gun but peruse gun forums and such and sometimes there is just such a good deal it's real hard to pass up (when I have some extra dough).

That has slowed way down after FTF transactions are frowned on for me though.

Maybe one day when I have more money and time I'll camp out on the street corner of a pawn shop
with a sign that says "I Buy Used Guns - Cash in Hand" (armed of course lol).

.The owner of the shop was telling the fellow that he would never be able to sell it because you cannot just hit the hardware store or any sporting goods store to purchase ammo..
It woulda been sweet had you then said to the proprietor, "Speaking of which, got any .22 ammo?"..
and then just stared him in the eyeball.

......"Speaking of which, got any .22 ammo?"..
and then just stared him in the eyeball.

Would enjoy watching that ;)
The requirement of being able to buy a fodder for a gun easily at any hardware store is very limiting. I'm still waiting for the next shipment of 8mm Nambu to come into BiMart :rolleyes:. That's the great liberating appeal of reloading for me. There's always a way to come up with ammo. It opens the opportunity to play with a lot of stuff that's a lot more interesting than the good-but-boring ubiquitous AR.

Any WWII gun at a good price comes home with me.
I always have an eye open and lots of cash in pocket.

Not that I spend a lot annually. But when I see a nice gun at a good price?

Oh. And Winchester lever guns.
And Black rifles.......... Cool derringers............... Old blued revolvers.

OK anything! I'm a gun whore. :D

I would certainly step up to buy any target of opportunity that was a real good deal. But I am actually a very structured buyer I have a want list and I willl buy anything on that list as long as its a good deal. Since almost none of the firearm on my list can be had new (oh sure theres a few) being patient and waiting for an opportunity to show itself when I have the funds in pocket is the key.

The rifle in the OP's post would certainly have interested me but would have had to be a super good deal as its to similar to my Savage Model 12VLP DBM in .243 in its purpose (varmint/bench rifle) to be something I would seek out.

I have regretted terribly firearm I have sold off in the past (usually to pay a bill) and have decided the best way to avoid selling a firearm is to not buy something that isn't something I would want to keep until I pass it down.

S&W 3000, 12-gauge pump. Got it from a seller claiming it came from the Portland, OR police department. Lots of draw wear consistent with a vehicle rack like would be found in a police cruiser but no real provenance. Shoots great, very happy with this $175 gun.

gOL8Lte.jpg

Went to pick up my Ruger I ordered, and asked the folks what they had in autoloading shotguns...showed me a few, then showed me a Benelli M1 super90 they had on consignment.

Ceracoated grey black & stock cut a touch...I may have actually said out loud "...must have that!..." perhaps while drooling...:)

They took off a few $ for me...super nice shotgun!

48C61F38-192C-4A41-91E3-ECE6FD97329B_zps0ls8cscb.jpg

Last Edited:
I hate good gun shops for this very reason! LOL, just kidding,Or noto_O Seriously, I picked up a really nice Anshutz .22 a few years ago, Didn't need it, but you don't pass on an Anshutz and the price was way to good to pass up! Got a really sweet Left hand conversion Bench/target rifle based off of a really sweet 03 Springfield with brand new target spec douglas barrel and a rainbow camo laminate stock cut for left hand use! Had been chambered to 6.5/06! Real sweet shooter! Found three Win 97 take down .12 gau shotguns ( like I needed any more) but like mountain bear says, cant let them be orphans! Last one I scored was a 1943 HighStandard HD .22 pistol with extra barrel and 5 extra mags, In the original box with all the papers! SO yea, spur o the moment purchases, YUP, guilty as charged!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top