JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Fight is Brewing

The fight we've been alerting you to in the U.S. Senate is heating up -- and fast!

Yesterday, the Senate took a key vote to advance the "Sportsmen's Act of 2014" (S. 2363).

That's the bill that does virtually nothing for gun owners, and was designed simply as a "cover vote" for anti-gun Democrats who are getting squeamish ahead of election season.

We warned you that this bill could also be a vehicle for anti-gun Senators to ram through several components of Obama's gun control wish list.

And that's exactly what some U.S. Senators want to do!

During debates yesterday, Senator Blumenthal (D-CT) and other gun grabbers made very serious pitches for sticking gun control into this bill.

Believe it or not, the only thing stopping them is whether or not Harry Reid -- the same guy who has spent the last year and a half threatening gun owners to bring gun control back to the Senate floor -- will allow the gun control amendments to come up.

Experts say Senator Reid could allow votes on the anti-gun amendments as early as tomorrow.

Right now, our staff is working night and day to monitor all efforts to amend anti-gun legislation into this "Sportsmen's" bill, and we're also working with pro-gun Senators to respond to this escalating battle.

But I need your help.

We need to turn up the heat on the Senate now!

Please call your U.S. Senators and tell them NOT to vote for any anti-gun amendments to S. 2363.

*** Sen. Barbara Boxer -- (202) 224-3553
*** Sen. Dianne Feinstein -- (202) 224-3841

Don't wait. Call them right away.

Then, read my message below and stay tuned to your in-box throughout the day. I'll let you know if there are any more important developments.

-- Dudley

NAGR_email.gif

Dear Fellow Patriot,

When you were in grade school, did you ever have to write a paper on a subject you didn't like?

Senate Democrats this week are finally realizing that liberty-loving gun owners like you are about to give them a failing grade on the Second Amendment later this fall.

So, like students the night before their essay is due, they're slapping together a bill aimed at fooling you into thinking they care about your right to keep and bear arms.

I hope you don't believe them. The bill is far from what it's cracked up to be.

It's called the "Sportsmen's Act of 2014" (S. 2363).

It's 54-pages long and made up of table scraps of minor hunting and fishing-related bills.

But, it has very little to do with protecting your Second Amendment rights.
S. 2363 could be voted on as early as this coming Monday.

In fact, Capitol Hill experts admit this is simply an attempt for vulnerable Senate Democrats like Kay Hagan (D-NC), Mark Pryor (D-AR), Mark Begich (D-AK) and Mary Landrieu (D-LA) to cast a token "pro-gun" vote so they can sell it to voters this fall.

Even some weak-kneed Republicans -- like Lamar Alexander (R-TN) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC) -- are pushing it in hopes of getting a "pro-gun" sticker and a pat on the back.

Never mind the fact they just spent more than a whole year voting against and trashing your Second Amendment rights virtually every chance they got

I hope you aren't fooled.

This bill is simply too little too late.

Worse, this bill is loaded with pork for Obama and his radical left-wing friends.

I'm talking about a whole section dedicated for things like "habitat restoration" for "migratory birds" and other sections disguised as conservation.

There's even a section dealing with "polar bear conservation."

Another part of this bill includes expanded federal funding for shooting ranges.

But as we've seen so often, increased federal funding comes with increased federal regulation and oversight.

The bill also talks about federal land usage, but it does not talk about reducing the federal government's reign over your back yard or your favorite hunting grounds.The very section of the bill that directs the Bureau of Land Management to open up federal land to hunting, fishing, and shooting purposes, goes on to say those activities get no priority.

In other words, "nevermind" it's not really binding.
This bill needs to be called out for what it really is . . .

. . . a cover vote. Nothing more.
Now, there is one minor section of the bill that actually helps gun owners.

It's a section that limits the EPA from regulating ammunition under the Toxic Substances Control Act.

This is an issue that needs fixing because Obama's EPA concocted the scheme to crack down on ammunition in the first place.

But at what cost?

If these U.S. Senators really cared about stopping the Obama administration's back-door attacks on gun owners, they would have acted on the multitude of other pro-gun proposals and bills that have been rotting away in committee over the last year.
*** How about the Veterans Second Amendment Protection Act?

This pro-gun bill would have put an end to the Obama administration's practice of denying gun rights to our veterans returning from war. Over 175,000 of them have lost their rights so far without due process, and that number is likely to go up.

*** What about removing the "sporting purpose" test?

This pro-gun bill would have eliminated the so-called "sporting purpose" test which is being used to arbitrarily ban guns from import that Attorney General Eric Holder just doesn't like. Senator Feinstein is trying to convince Holder and Obama to expand this sweeping gun ban without Congressional Authorization.

*** How about repealing the "Post Office Gun Ban"?

Right now there is a federal ban on carrying your concealed firearm in any post office. Senator Rand Paul offered an amendment in committee to remove this restriction. That sent Senators Begich, Pryor, Landrieu and others in to a frenzy to find a way to kill the amendment, which they did.

*** How about stopping Obama from cutting off financing for gun shops?

Right now Barack Obama is using the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) to declare firearms manufacturers and dealers "high-risk" businesses. All across the country gun dealers are facing serious consequences with their banks ranging from losing their credit card processing services to having their bank accounts shut down completely.

Senator Rand Paul has proposed legislation to fix this.

NONE of these crucial pro-gun reforms are included in their half-hearted bill.

Quite frankly, gun owners like you and I could write a much better gun bill standing on our heads

Tom, you and I both know that the Second Amendment is about more than just hunting.

While this bill leaves a lot to be desired, I'm also worried there may be a scheme in the works.

You see, just two weeks ago Harry Reid said he wanted to have another vote on gun control in the Senate.

And in Washington, trick-plays are never outside of the realm of possibility.

If Harry Reid brings this bill up on Monday, they may have all of the anti-gun amendments we've been fighting against over the last two years waiting on stand by.

I'm talking about expanded background checks and universal gun registration

And I don't want to be caught off-gaurd.

Please take a moment to contact your U.S. Senators right now:

Urge them to OPPOSE any anti-gun amendments to S. 2363.
Also, let them know this half-hearted attempt to appease gun owners is no substitute for real meaningful pro-gun reforms.

Please act today.
For Freedom,

DWBsigBlue.jpg
Dudley Brown
Executive Vice President

P.S. They can do better then this.

Monday's upcoming vote on the so-called "Bipartisan Sportsmen's Act of 2014" is nothing but a cover vote for anti-gun politicians that has little to do with protecting your Second Amendment rights.

But I'm worried they might also try another sneak attack on us by tossing in expanded background checks and universal gun registration.

Please take a moment to contact your U.S. Senators right now:

Urge them to OPPOSE any anti-gun amendments to S. 2363.Let them know this half-hearted attempt to appease gun owners are no substitute for urgently needed real pro-gun reforms.

The National Association for Gun Rights is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, single-purpose citizens' organization dedicated to preserving and protecting the Constitutionally protected right-to-keep-and-bear-arms through an aggressive program designed to mobilize public opposition to anti-gun legislation. The National Association for Gun Rights' mailing address is P.O. Box 7002, Fredericksburg, VA 22404. They can be contacted toll-free at 1-877-405-4570. Its web address is www.NationalGunRights.org

Not produced or e-mailed at taxpayer expense.

To help the National Association for Gun Rights grow, please forward this to a friend.

To view this email as a web page, please click this link: <broken link removed> .

Help fight gun control. Donate to the National Association for Gun Rights!

Just read about this bill, it was featured in today's NRA-ILA's Daily Alert.
Not one single word about possible Gun Control measures being tacked on this bill.

I find it strange that the NRA-ILAs Daily Alert didn't write anything about this bill if, in fact, there is some danger to our firearm's rights.
Quite the contrary, the NRA-ILA rated this bill as being good for the cause.

This might be a case of Dudley Brown promoting a situation that doesn't exist.
Last year Dudley accused one of our State Senators, Betsy Johnson, of making "back room deals" with the gun control crowd when nothing could be further from the truth...not once, but twice.
BTW Sen Johnson is a staunch supporter of 2nd Amendment rights.

So, I take anything he says with a grain of salt.

elsie...............Thanks for the link.

I agree, links to proposals should be available for all who want better understanding of legislation coming up to vote.

I'm not able to find a description or text to the proposed 38 amendments. Am I just not finding the text or descriptions, or are they yet to be posted?

I'm happy to see that 30 of these amendments have been sponsored by Republican Senators, but the last proposal by Sen Feinstein has piqued my curiosity, but it's my understanding that she proposes amendments on every bill to pass through the Senate.

You have to click on the bill or amendment number and then click the texts tab to read any amendments. Then all you have to do is make sense of it all!:rolleyes:

Tbucket...........Thanks.
I have been doing that, but it appears to be that the Amendments proposed yesterday, all 25 of them) have not been been linked up from the Congressional Record yet.
Although the records from Tuesday, 07/07/14, and prior, have been moved up to text.

And you can see how the Senators staff more than earn their keep by wading through all this "legalize" lawyer speak in every piece of legislation coming a cross the Senators Desks.

One could easily make a case for limiting what can be attached to a piece of legislation before it comes up to vote.

elsie...............Thanks for the link.

I agree, links to proposals should be available for all who want better understanding of legislation coming up to vote.

I'm not able to find a description or text to the proposed 38 amendments. Am I just not finding the text or descriptions, or are they yet to be posted?

I'm happy to see that 30 of these amendments have been sponsored by Republican Senators, but the last proposal by Sen Feinstein has piqued my curiosity, but it's my understanding that she proposes amendments on every bill to pass through the Senate.

Like everything else about congress, the text for the amendment links are slow. The older ones are there. If you click on the Amendments tab to the bill then on the number of the amendment, it will come up. If the Text tab at that point says "0" then they haven't linked it from the congressional record yet.

It's tricky since the text link is to the entire section of the congressional record which can have several actions (amendments, submissions or whatever) to several items. You need to remember what it is referencing and find that section.

I see it's up to 81 now, in just a day.

elsie

GOA latest:

Gun Owners of America
Once Again, Gun Owners Like You Vanquish Reid and Obama -- Kudos go to Senators Paul, Cruz, Lee and Cornyn

"Gun Owners of America [has] blasted the bill as a 'fake pro-gun bill designed to re-elect endangered anti-gun [Senators] up in 2014 in pro-gun states.'" -- Roll Call, July 9, 2014
Take action on this alert by clicking here.
Not a GOA member yet? Make sure to join Gun Owners of America!
Earlier today, the "Harry Reid Preservation Act," S. 2363, went down to defeat, as pro-gun Senators successfully filibustered the bill by a vote of 56-41.
In a last minute letter to Capitol Hill today, Gun Owners of America told Senators that a vote to end the filibuster "will be viewed as a vote AGAINST veterans ... AGAINST concealed carry reciprocity ... and AGAINST preserving the gun industry."
GOA also warned Senators that a vote in favor of S. 2363 would be scored in our end-of-year rating.
As you know, S. 2363 was a "nothing-burger bill" which existed solely to elect anti-gun Democrats in Red States. This includes Senators like sponsor Kay Hagan (D-NC) -- plus cosponsors such as Mark Begich (D-AK), Mark Pryor (D-AR), Mark Udall (D-CO), Mary Landrieu (D-LA), Al Franken (D-MN) and Mark Warner (D-VA).
All these Senators are rated as D's or F's by Gun Owners of America.
S. 2363 would have allowed hunting on federal lands -- unless Barack Obama determined that guns were dangerous. How likely do you think that is?
It would have allowed importation of polar bear parts. Okay, that's fine, in and of itself. But that's hardly a fair trade for passing a bill that will help reelect anti-gun Senators like Hagan, Begich, Pryor, Landrieu (and others) -- Senators who will vote to confirm Obama's anti-gun Supreme Court justices, thus overturning the Heller and McDonald decisions.
Thankfully, your help in asking Senators to offer truly pro-gun amendments paid dividends -- and got noticed by the media. Said one media outlet on Monday:
"Gun Owners of America is urging its members to urge their senators to oppose the Sportsmen's Act unless Reid allows [Ted] Cruz, [Mike] Lee, and [Rand] Paul the opportunity to offer meaningful, pro-gun amendments."
These Senators, in addition to John Cornyn (R-TX) and Roger Wicker (R-MS), did a yeomen's job in fighting to get genuinely pro-gun amendments offered to the bill. These included national concealed carry reciprocity, gun rights for 175,000 military veterans, and a shut-down of Eric Holder's Operation Choke Point.
But Reid employed a bully-tactic to block all Republican amendments. It consisted of "treeing" the bill and then invoking "cloture" to make the amendments out of order.
Thus, the 41 anti-gun votes IN FAVOR of invoking cloture -- thus ending the filibuster -- were votes against veterans, reciprocity and gun dealers.
Fortunately, our strategy worked. Enough Republicans were outraged by Reid's underhanded tricks they easily sustained a filibuster, thus killing the bill.
Consider how significant your grassroots efforts were. All 26 Republicans who cosponsored the bill ended up listening to your collective voice and voted to filibuster -- aka, kill -- the bill. They were joined by a handful of anti-gun Democrats who felt the bill didn't have enough gun control.
So congratulations! And great work! Your activism is a tremendous asset to our efforts in protecting our gun rights.
ACTION: Contact your Senators. Thank them if they voted to support the filibuster on S. 2363. But rebuke them if they supported Harry Reid's efforts shut off all debate on good, pro-gun amendments.
NOTE: If you click here and use the GOA Engage site, the correct letter will automatically be chosen.
Not a GOA member yet? Make sure to join Gun Owners of America!

I received that from GOA yesterday.
Seems there was a lot more drama around this bill than we first thought.
Good ol "Dirty Harry" at his best.

The NRA-ILA listed some of the benefits of Republican attached amendments in Tuesday's (or Wednesday's) alert, and came out in favor of the bill...Although they could, or should, have provided more in depth coverage.

And then there was the report that started this thread from the National Association for Gun Rights that highlighted another perspective of possible attached amendments to this bill from Harry and Democrats.

Three separate reports with their own individual interpretation on this issue is why it's important to gather information from more than one source...never a dull moment when 2nd Amendment issues come up on the hill.

I've been a GOA member for a few years now, they seem to keep an accurate perspective on 2nd Amendment issues as evidenced by this report.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top