JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have always used a single stage press. Last winter I bought a used Lee Pro 1000 in Arizona for $100. I sold some of the extra stuff and was in it for about $40. I got it all set up here at home with the .45 acp stuff that came with it. Long story short, somewhere in the reloading process, I dumped a double charge. Don't ask how, but I did, and I caught it. At that time I had loaded several hundred rounds and had a number of issues, mostly with primer feeding which would cause me to remove the case etc. Anyway after catching the double charge I kept thinking what if I had done it before and missed it. A double charge does not fill the case. The brass was all range pick up and several flavors. That was a couple months ago and I haven't shot any of it. What to do? I sorted all the cartridges by manufacturer and weighed them individually. Any round that was 2-3 grains above average for that manufacturer, I discarded. Given some of the brass was from different lots and years, I expected slight variations in weight. So, when you read about folks that weigh their brass and are seemingly absolutely anal, pay attention because they speak from experience. I keep thinking that I still should chuck it all? BTW I wasn't loading near max. Opinions welcome

i no charged 50 out of 200 rounds. i pulled all 200. i tried sorting and weighing. it doesnt work. better safe than missing a body part(s)

invest in a puller collet die or an inertia hammer.

I can see inside the case enough with short cases on the turret press so it's easy to see a double charge.

Weighing loaded cartridges is iffy. Too much variance between brass and projectile to really know for sure with small charges. . I've had same brand pistol cases be as much 4 grains +/- in weight. That alone is enough to hide a missed charge of hp-38 or tightgroup, or a double charge going the other way. That's a bummer when doubt creeps in. If you can examine your process objectively and be sure you didn't have a double charge maybe you're good to go. If you have any doubts pull them and start over. It's not worth a busted gun or a serious injury.

My opinion of course, be safe as you can.

I shoot my own cast truncated cone bullets and can't pull them with my collett puller. I do always look before seating a bullet, that's exactly how I caught the double. I'm just saying that the little man on my shoulder kept saying "what if." The doubt is there because the progressive was new to me. I have been hand loading for many years.

I've had same brand pistol cases be as much 4 grains +/- in weight. That alone is enough to hide a missed charge of hp-38 or tightgroup, or a double charge going the other way.

Sounds like a good argument for weighing your cases before loading them, and getting rid of those outliers. That way subsequent weighing will let you find a double charged case.

Don't some progressive loaders have a charge checker that will buzz you if the charge is too low or high, before the bullet is seated?

I sort all brass by headstamp and seat them in the same manner. I have found this technique to give me very consistent seating depths. I have had some concerns when loading titegroup in 380 and 9mm because of the low amount of powder but eyeball each case has been working good, another method I use for powders like that is to double charge a case and keep it in hand until I've visually checked it against other cases (Not recommending these methods it's just what I do). 700x/800x and Bullseye are becoming my go to powders because it's extremely difficult to double charge the case.

I'm guessing you used a spring actuated powder drop not one operated by a lever return? Sounds like a time will be had pulling cases. Sorry buddy. I had to do it once with 200 .223 cases.

Sounds like a good argument for weighing your cases before loading them, and getting rid of those outliers. That way subsequent weighing will let you find a double charged case.

Don't some progressive loaders have a charge checker that will buzz you if the charge is too low or high, before the bullet is seated?
Handgun brass can vary quite a lot even within brands with the same headstamp. Add a couple grain difference between projectiles (handgun especially) and there's no reasonable way to sort all that out. I already sort by headstamp I can't imagine what a cluster it would be to sort handgun cases and bullets by weight.

Precision rifle is a whole different story, but far less to sort there.

I'm guessing you used a spring actuated powder drop not one operated by a lever return? Sounds like a time will be had pulling cases. Sorry buddy. I had to do it once with 200 .223 cases.
Yes sir, you got it, but I doubt it was a guess:)

Yes sir, you got it, but I doubt it was a guess:)
It was a guess...

If it's a lee powder drop I have the chain setup for one of those so you don't get the double charges. I could drop it off next time I head by there if you need one.

I think it's the arm, chain and something else that makes it so.

oh and Joken, if you need a bullet pulling party... I'm down when I have time.
Ok, I'm in business. Thanks for the offer, but a pair of dikes will make this easy
boolit.JPG
How to pull soft lead truncated cone 45 ACP (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?284257-How-to-pull-soft-lead-truncated-cone-45-ACP)

:s0153:

It was a guess...

If it's a lee powder drop I have the chain setup for one of those so you don't get the double charges. I could drop it off next time I head by there if you need one.

I think it's the arm, chain and something else that makes it so.
Give me a call sometime 541-753-3536 No rush and thanks Ken.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top