JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bit of a front story here. A cartridge of substantial EDC potential was developed, but never produced in any number: 9mm Action Express. Evan Whildin, known for the serries of Action Express cartridges, (.41AE, 50AE) made the 41AE by shortening a .41 Mag case to 22mm and reducing the rim to 9mm dimensions. Thus, it provided .41 Magnum "Police load" ballistics and fit 9mm pistols. However, Winchester+S&W introduced their .40 shortly after and guess what?

To the point, Mr. Whildin had taken the .41AE (.41 X 22) and bottle-necked it to 9mm, making the 9mm Action Express. Ballistically superior to the .357 Sig, it was never marketed. It still fit all 9mm pistol bolt faces and magazine wells. I have a soft spot for the 41AE and a High Power clone with 9mm/41AE conversions.

Maybe they could call it, oh, I don't know... .308 Winchester?
Or do you want something in between?
Yup. Something in-between. 308 is a shorten case but uses the same bullet shape and BC. I was thinking a long high BC bullet. You could do the same for 300 Win Mag for long distance shots on elk size game but it may be a barrel burner.

Yup. Something in-between. 308 is a shorten case but uses the same bullet shape and BC. I was thinking a long high BC bullet. You could do the same for 300 Win Mag for long distance shots on elk size game but it may be a barrel burner.
Maybe the .308 X 1.5, invented by Frank C. Barnes, the editor of Cartridges of the World. I recently thought it was time to upgrade from the 3rd edition which I bought in the 70s, as by now there must be some updated info. So I looked and it is now in its 17th edition now. Now have to go listen to Al Stewart's "Time Passages." :(

Maybe the .308 X 1.5, invented by Frank C. Barnes, the editor of Cartridges of the World. I recently thought it was time to upgrade from the 3rd edition which I bought in the 70s, as by now there must be some updated info. So I looked and it is now in its 17th edition now. Now have to go listen to Al Stewart's "Time Passages." :(

So almost a .300 Whisper...

I still have a 5th edition :p . Goes by fast brother.

Bit of a front story here. A cartridge of substantial EDC potential was developed, but never produced in any number: 9mm Action Express. Evan Whildin, known for the serries of Action Express cartridges, (.41AE, 50AE) made the 41AE by shortening a .41 Mag case to 22mm and reducing the rim to 9mm dimensions. Thus, it provided .41 Magnum "Police load" ballistics and fit 9mm pistols. However, Winchester+S&W introduced their .40 shortly after and guess what?

To the point, Mr. Whildin had taken the .41AE (.41 X 22) and bottle-necked it to 9mm, making the 9mm Action Express. Ballistically superior to the .357 Sig, it was never marketed. It still fit all 9mm pistol bolt faces and magazine wells. I have a soft spot for the 41AE and a High Power clone with 9mm/41AE conversions.
I took .41 cal LeverRevolution 190 grain and made .41 AE Critical Defense bullets by rounding off the soft plastic point. Since the .41 AE is taper crimped, I didn't have to use the cannelure groove. Hornaday said it wouldn't work - I showed them.

Can anyone tell me what happened here?
Not mine, found it while picking brass one day.
It's a 5.56 case that was obviously shot in a different chamber.

9B2E6FC1-A1A6-4F2D-B6D4-19A55AB17268.jpeg 506ACBEB-A413-48C1-8915-E835E4D0EA71.jpeg 1D82B3E1-3ED2-43DF-A7DF-2A30C38837BE.jpeg

Last Edited:
I regularly shoot a .308cal 174gr bullet at 2560 fps, from a 55mm long case, in a rifle designed in 1931 and used in service until 1957.

It shoots like a heavy-hitting .308 Win, with authority at each end, and is an easy-to-reload cartridge renowned for not stressing the guns it was made for. In fact, many people load a 180gr bullet for long-range effective shooting. My rifle was made in 1944, and shoots four-round groups like this at 100m all day long.

1667596283801.png

Not too shabby at 200m, either, as this ten-shot group shows.

1667596408177.png

What is it?

Correct answers will be rewarded with a hearty 'well-done!'

I regularly shoot a .308cal 174gr bullet at 2560 fps, from a 55mm long case, in a rifle designed in 1931 and used in service until 1957.

It shoots like a heavy-hitting .308 Win, with authority at each end, and is an easy-to-reload cartridge renowned for not stressing the guns it was made for. In fact, many people load a 180gr bullet for long-range effective shooting. My rifle was made in 1944, and shoots four-round groups like this at 100m all day long.

View attachment 1304925

Not too shabby at 200m, either, as this ten-shot group shows.

View attachment 1304927

What is it?

Correct answers will be rewarded with a hearty 'well-done!'
7.5x55 Swiss out of a Karabiner Modell1931

Schmidt-Rubin
Not quite - it IS a K31, though. The Federal committee for the design and development of small arms, headed up by Colonel Adolf Furrer, took the k11 as a starting point, gave the bolt a complete make-over, and came up with the K31.

1667662968731.png

Note that the K31 has a longer barrel, longer sight radius and a shorter, more rigid bolt. Nothing is interchangeable with the K11, except maybe the butt-plate.

For a "close in" varmint load, I used to take old 30-06 cases and cut them off 1/8" shorter than the length of the cylinder on my 1917 Colt revolver. :)
Check the specs. The base is the same as a .45 APC and they fit 1/2 moon clips. :eek:
I would then load the cases with 6400, > .410 Nitro card,> #6 shot, >.410 Nitro card and roll crimp in a .44 Die. :s0093:
They shot a 24" pattern the length of my garage and would go through 1/4" plywood. :s0023:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top