JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This may be the answer to our prayers:
Looks like this new primer manufacturer, Lone Star, will be up and running within a year. Given their manufacturing facility formerly made ammo for the military the time needed to tool up should be fast. If nothing else, Olin and Vista (covering primer brands including CCI, Federal, Winchester, Remington) should get their well deserved comeuppance considering the rather despicable way they have disregarded reloaders during the past two years. Waiting impatiently...

Capitalism is great until it doesn't work the way "I" want it to
I think the healthy way to look at this is capitalism works exactly as it is supposed to. The market was dominated by two companies which had near-exclusive control over the means of production and sale of primers as a commodity required by the reloading community. Lone Star obviously recognized the failure of those two companies to meet demand with supply and is stepping into that vacuum as a competitor to meet demand. That's what capitalism is all about.

I think the healthy way to look at this is capitalism works exactly as it is supposed to. The market was dominated by two companies which had near-exclusive control over the means of production and sale of primers as a commodity required by the reloading community. Lone Star obviously recognized the failure of those two companies to meet demand with supply and is stepping into that vacuum as a competitor to meet demand. That's what capitalism is all about.
Yes. However, I don't think reloaders were treated despicably at all. That's what I'm getting at.

To each their own point of view. Have at it. But personally, I couldn't disagree more.
Right. Because capitalism is only good when it works the way "you" want it to. They need to sell you the components instead of selling everyone else the ammo. Because that's what you want, not necessary what the company will profit most from.

Right. Because capitalism is only good when it works the way "you" want it to. They need to sell you the components instead of selling everyone else the ammo. Because that's what you want, not necessary what the company will profit most from.
Proof is in the pudding. If Olin and Vista had not failed the market, then Lone Star would not be moving into it. Instead of trying to individualize this thread, which frankly serves no purpose, you'd be better served seeing it from an economic supply/demand perspective.

One of the main problems was that the two primer manufactures lobbied the government to block foreign companies from importing primers. Instead they have been tied up with customs and ATF regulations slowing the process. This in turn helped to maximize the profits of Olin and Vista by limiting the competition.

So, tell us again how this was Capitalism?

*Fascism — Industry remains nominally private, but is actually directed by the state.

Proof is in the pudding. If Olin and Vista had not failed the market, then Lone Star would not be moving into it. Instead of trying to individualize this thread, which frankly serves no purpose, you'd be better served seeing it from an economic supply/demand perspective.
Yes. Let's not make individualized statements that serve no purpose

About two years ago, you could buy all the primers (and ammo) you wanted for reasonable prices.

There were multiple warnings here and elsewhere, to buy cheap and stack deep.

I am given to understand that ammo component manufacturers are running 24/7 to meet demand.

Whose fault is it that a person doesn't have what they need?

Lone Start isn't making primers, they are re packaging foreign made primers. At my level they want 130.00/1000 in lots of 100,000. CCI primres are right around 50.00/1000 when they are available.

Lone Start isn't making primers, they are re packaging foreign made primers. At my level they want 130.00/1000 in lots of 100,000. CCI primres are right around 50.00/1000 when they are available.
If the Lone Star brand of primers (or whatever their final name will be) truly intends to charge $130 a brick then it will be interesting to see how long they last in the market. Seemingly, would not be too difficult for Olin and Vista to obliterate them with price cutting. However, the idea that they will merely be a forwarder instead of manufacturer of primers seems curious, for a couple reasons. First, because they have purchased a former ammunition manufacturing facility. Second, the owner of the parent company, Richard A. Smissen of Expansion Industries, was interviewed by the Texarkana Gazette newspaper (the facility is located outside of Texarkana) and quoted as saying, "We have invested $100 million into the site so far." That seems a pretty steep up-front investment for a business that will be forwarding freight as opposed to manufacturing. He also indicated it will be a fully modern "production facility" and indicated they've set a goal of hiring 400 people by year's end. To put that hiring goal in perspective, I was involved in development of a new 1.5 million square foot distribution center for intake and shipping of overseas products here in the Portland-Vancouver area. It employs fewer than 15% of the people planned by Lone Star because the facility is both brand new and fully automated. So again, it seems curious to hear that their intent is to just forward product that is manufactured overseas.

Maybe they are forwarding primers until they get up and running with manufacturing?

*shrug* - not going to buy primers from someone with no history (that I know of) behind them. I can afford to wait until prices on components come back down. I won't be setting up my equipment again until after I sell/move this year. I got plenty of ammo and I only reload special loads (low power mostly), not in bulk, so what I have is probably adequate.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top