JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone use a set of them?

My dreaded part of reloading is sorting brass. I often get brass from friends and family that is mixed.

Any experiences using the the trays to be shared would be appreciated.

NOW if you are referring to plastic, molded shell trays to accommodate brass in individual holes or squares I have a few older ones that are 'universal' and can accomodate most brass sizes.

I used to make my own by drilling out hardwood planks but was later given several of the plastic ones and, well they work very well.

NOW if you are referring to plastic, molded shell trays to accommodate brass in individual holes or squares I have a few older ones that are 'universal' and can accomodate most brass sizes.

I used to make my own by drilling out hardwood planks but was later given several of the plastic ones and, well they work very well.

Thats is not what I am talking about at all.
Take a look at the link. The link has few videos attached. I was just hoping to get some local hands on knowledge of using them.

I guess they are best described as a bulk brass sorting bowl/tray thing.

There great if you're doing large amounts of multiple calibers but if you've only got a few is better by hand I think. You still have to sort what's in the pan so extra step.

I sorted about 70 pounds of range brass with a borrowed set. I'd give them a 7 on a 1-10 scale. I don't think they are worth the money truthfully. If I was going to be sorting lots of brass regularly for the foreseeable future I might buy a set. For what was a one-time use for me no way were they worth buying. The most valuable one of the bunch was the .380 plate and you have to pay extra for it, if it is even available any more. Don't put very much brass in at a time!! Don't think you are going to stack them and sort it all at one go; much better to sort with them one at a time. If you are sorting the brass for your own use the opportunity to inspect it as you sort it is lost. Maybe as @Papercidal says with a vibrator they might work better.

Thats is not what I am talking about at all.
Got it! - a better idea then for sorting as I have done this. Go to ACE hardware and buy their $2.49 (or whatever they cost) small, red plastic paint pails and drill out holes in the bottoms to the size of the brass you want to separate. Pretty cheap and works well.

I sorted about 70 pounds of range brass with a borrowed set. I'd give them a 7 on a 1-10 scale. I don't think they are worth the money truthfully. If I was going to be sorting lots of brass regularly for the foreseeable future I might buy a set. For what was a one-time use for me no way were they worth buying. The most valuable one of the bunch was the .380 plate and you have to pay extra for it, if it is even available any more. Don't put very much brass in at a time!! Don't think you are going to stack them and sort it all at one go; much better to sort with them one at a time. If you are sorting the brass for your own use the opportunity to inspect it as you sort it is lost. Maybe as @Papercidal says with a vibrator they might work better.
I've found that the 380 plate is pretty worthless and I sort the .380 & .38 super from the 9mm by hand (but I also sort 9mm by headstamp which is done by hand anyway)

They are pricey.

My problem is the kids won't sort it. I quit fighting that battle. It all goes into one bucket now. Plus the stuff from family and friends shows up mixed.

I just spent 4 hours sorting by hand. With more to sort.
These seem like they should cut the time down to half at least.

Got it! - a better idea then for sorting as I have done this. Go to ACE hardware and buy their $2.49 (or whatever they cost) small, red plastic paint pails and drill out holes in the bottoms to the size of the brass you want to separate. Pretty cheap and works well.

Thats actually a great idea. I'll give it a try before unloading the cash for the trays. Thanks!

I've tried the sorting pans and find that I have to hand sort afterwords anyway so I just sort/cull seperate the nickel from the brass by hand. I feel I get a better job done that way. FWIW my production assistant thinks so as well.

Does anyone use a set of them?

My dreaded part of reloading is sorting brass. I often get brass from friends and family that is mixed.

Any experiences using the the trays to be shared would be appreciated.
I used the 3 pack. .45 .40 9mm
It narrows them down pretty quickly. I load on a dillion. I learned run 100%of your brass through these 1st. I paid around $45 for them.

I sell a lot of range brass. and use this one.

It does a 5 gal bucket of mixed brass in about 45 min. Hand sorting took several hours. I tried poking holes in buckets and making slots but never got good results. The only improvement I would suggest is to make the 380 plate its own sorter. if the slots aren't exactly lined up it doesn't work . Once I made it its own sorter it works fine!
Probably the coolest thing is it sorts 9mm from 38 super and 38 spl from 357 mag. I shoot a lot of all 4 calibers! If I wasn't selling a lot of range brass it would not be useful but I do a bucket a week of mixed brass. DR

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top