JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just filled my buck tag with a home build AR 15 in 6.8 spc II. Going out after Elk season to fill my doe tag. I topped it off with a Nikon 2.5x10 Prostaff 7. Great round out to about 300 yards or so on deer sized or smaller animals.

Probably my budget rig: Marlin XL7 in .270 Win., With a Nitrex TR-1 3-9x40 scope. Trying a new load this year:. Speer 150 Spitzer with 53.5 gr of Accurate Data 86 (surplus 3100) and a S&B LRM primer. Less than $400 including Burris Signature rings for the whole thing, still outperforming my Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow in .270WSM with it's Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope... The short mag will probably be the backup rifle with Nosler 150 gr Ballistic Tips, 61.0 gr of Reloder 22 and the S&B LRM primer.
My son plans to park me somewhere for overwatch, while he and his buddy try to push something out. My knees have been giving me grief since June and the cortisone shot I got a couple months ago seems to be wearing off.
Those XL7s are an amazing value and can be quite accurate.

Western blacktail and coastal elk, 7mm-08 w/ Leupold VXII 3-9x40.

Henry 41 mag with hornady ftx 190gr, 21.5 grs h110 for 2100fps. That's my road/brush gun. My across the canyon rifle is a REM 700 6.5x55 26" shilen with nosler 130gr accubonds at 2850fps topped off with a leupold 4.5-14. It's a 4pt blacktail year unless I hit day 7 out of my 10 days off then anything goes.

It's been ten plus years since I've hunted, just wasn't as much fun after my best friend/shooting/hunting partner passed away.

I would be hunting with my Wes Reynolds built .30-06, Federal 165gr BTSP. Also, apackin' my 6" S&W .357 fer too laiged varmints!

Back up would be my 6mm Remington, on a commercial Czechoslovakian Mauser action, also by Wes Reynolds. Another option that I liked was my Winchester M-100 autoloader in .308W.

I'd also be carrying my Puma Hunters Pal, 7x35 Bausch and Lomb binos, canteen, a tiny parachord block and tackle, first aid kit, and a clean bag for the heart and liver.
Basically, anything to spot, kill, spread and gut a deer....or bear.

:D:D:D:D:D:DBEST OF GOOD LUCK, GUYS!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Hey! Take a kid hunting!!!:D

Last Edited:
Got my buck with a Tikka T3 30-06 and vortex hs 4-16 shooting 165gr Hornady sst's.

I'd love to get back into archery elk hunting. Maybe next year..

Got my buck with a Tikka T3 30-06 and vortex hs 4-16 shooting 165gr Hornady sst's.

I'd love to get back into archery elk hunting. Maybe next year..
Sweet. Hope it was the lucky gun:D I'll be heading up tomorrow with my T3 in 30 /06, may have to take off the leupy an put a Vortex on it:p. Congrats

Sweet. Hope it was the lucky gun:D I'll be heading up tomorrow with my T3 in 30 /06, may have to take off the leupy an put a Vortex on it:p. Congrats
I did have some luck but I'm pretty sure I didn't need the scope. Kicked him and his buddy out of some sage at 70 yards and I had time to decide which was bigger before shooting. My wife's gun malfunctioned so unfortunately, she didn't get his friend.

I hunted archery elk, no luck there.
Deer season I will be using my magnum research mountain eagle rifle chambered in 300 win mag. Had a 2.5x10 leupold lps. Shooting 200 grain accubonds over 70.5 grains of h4831.
Wife is shooting a ar15 chambered in 6.8 spc. Has a red field 4-12. Shooting 120 grain sst factory loads.

I always take two rifles when I go to eastern oregon. I took a 1903 springfield sporter in 30-06 and my dad's Browning BAR in 30-06. That BAR is amazing to me it seems to shoot good with almost any load i have ran through it.

Elk: bowtech admiral. gold tip xthunters. g5 montecs. didnt get a chance to hunt this year. plans fell thru.

Bear: my 300wm, my bow or one of my 308s

Deer:in the willamette unit with a 10" suppressed 300blk pistol 125gr Speer TNT 125gr handloads on private land AND a mossberg 535 with buck shot on the greenway. i may take my bowtech admiral out too.

Deer: successful over east with my suppressed LR308 with my Nos. BT 165gr handloads.

Squirrel: whatever i have at the moment

If we are talking archery ...
Then my 58# Osage long bow with Zwickey Eskimo 125 grain points has gotten deer for me...:D
Andy
DSC06042.jpg
DSC06040.jpg

S&W Model 1500 .30-06, mechanically identical to a Weatherby Vanguard or Howa 1500. Vortex Viper scope. This is last year's buck. I was sick for the first few days of the season this year, and hunted last week, but no luck.

deer.JPG

Spike tag only. Otc.
Tikka 06 with 168 ttsx.
Normally I have 270 win with 130 ttsx as a back up.
But I got a new 9.3 x62 and just haven't had time to work up loads or take it shooting and spend time with it.
So it might be a back up this year.

IMG_1168.JPG Got it done opening morning. Cva wolf .50 caliber shooting 295gr powerbelt hollow points over 100grs of imr white hot pellets. First experience using a muzzle loader, thinking over the winter I'll put together a Hawken kit and use that next year.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top