JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So what Rifle/Scope/Ammo/Load is everyone hunting with this year? We're 4 days away from The modern firearm deer season in my area and I still haven't made up my mind!

What's everyone else rockin in the deer woods this October?

I use my Hawken Rifle copy.
.54 caliber , .530 round ball , .15 patch bear grease and or deer tallow as lube and 80 grains of 2F.
This rifle and load has accounted for deer , bear and elk.
Most of my hunting partners use modern rifles...so if I want to hunt with them , I gotta go when they can hunt.
Andy
Edit to add : more load data.
Hawken.jpg

Last Edited:
I'm thinking this year I'll be cycling through my Bergara 308 for deer and bears when the weather sucks, then my Tikka 280 remington when its sunny. Mainly gonna hunt the Washougal unit and maybe the wind river.

20170702_164528.jpg Already got a cow elk via 7mm mag at 200 yrds, load was a hornady 162g eldx over 68gr of reloader 26- gun is a savage 111 with vortex viper 6x24

Already filled my buck tag- a forked muley via my 6mm slr , load was a berger 115 vld hunting over 46gr reloader 26 at 3100 fps muzzle- shot was at 300 yrds downhill at about 20 degrees running away from me- gun is a custom remmy 700 - krieger 7.5 twist 4 groove barrel- ptg bottom metal- leopold lr base and rings - optics again a vortex viper pst 6x24

I still have a lop willamette 600 series tag and ill use either gun if the opportunity arises- same for cougar

Last Edited:
Im taking the year off due to the new little one. Don't want to leave the wife alone yet. If I were, Id probably take my winchester M70 featherweight 7x57 with Leupold FXII 6x36. Load is 140gr Sierra Gameking on 48gr of Big Game/winchester brass/CCI 200 primer.
That sir, is the coolest rifle/caliber combo in this thread. Right on.

I'm using the same gun as I have for several years, a Ruger 77 MKII in 30-06, but this year it's been re-chambered to 30-06 Ackley Improved.(RCBS calls it a 30-06 Improved 40) A Hogue stock and Timney trigger are good additions. Remington case with WLR primer and 62gr of RL22 under a 180gr Sierra Gameking for 2900fps. A Leupold 3-9x40 in Ruger rings tops it off.
RUGER.jpg

Good luck in your job search. :)

Women, I'd rather not say what load I am going to use.

View attachment 396791

(teehee)

To answer the main question, not much these days due to crushing work hours and two small children to care for. I really want to get back into varmint hunting soon. I've been, albeit slowly, working on a coyote rifle since last year. It is essentially done, though I'm still waiting on our federal friends to approve my tax stamp for the can that will be attached to said.

I went archery hunting for elk with no luck (yet, hitting late season in Nov)
This Saturday going deer hunting with a Mossberg 590A1 with Winchester deer slugs 2 3/4".
If I don't have luck this weekend with the 12ga I'll be going out with my AR10 looking for more deer.
I usually shoot Federal 168gr Matchking BTHPs

Black Bear: Marlin 1894 (thanks, @WAYNO). Just got some 44 magnum Buffalo Bore 270 grain JFN I want to try out.

Deer: Marlin 1894CS using HSM .357 180 grain hard cast lead.

Cougar: Whichever of those two rifles I have with me, or a GP100.

Can't walk as far as I used to - but it sure is nice to be out in the woods.

Good hunting, everyone.

Probably my budget rig: Marlin XL7 in .270 Win., With a Nitrex TR-1 3-9x40 scope. Trying a new load this year:. Speer 150 Spitzer with 53.5 gr of Accurate Data 86 (surplus 3100) and a S&B LRM primer. Less than $400 including Burris Signature rings for the whole thing, still outperforming my Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow in .270WSM with it's Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope... The short mag will probably be the backup rifle with Nosler 150 gr Ballistic Tips, 61.0 gr of Reloder 22 and the S&B LRM primer.
My son plans to park me somewhere for overwatch, while he and his buddy try to push something out. My knees have been giving me grief since June and the cortisone shot I got a couple months ago seems to be wearing off.

Elk I'll use my Marlin guide gun, 45/70, 2-7x33 redfield, shooting some hornady 350 gr interlocks.
Since this year I'll be hunting late November whitetails in Eastern Washington, I will be using my Ruger 308win, leupold 3-9x40, shooting 150 gr nosler ballistic tip.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top