JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some folks in the article need instruction in the use of a hacksaw and a trash can to help them figure out how to get rid of their unwanted guns. It's so complicated. :)

I'm sure this is a huge problem. Not.

They need help getting rid of guns. I can't do it themselves. Guns are not objects, they're totems. Symbols of someone else's power. He can just destroy it, he has to pass it to a shaman for the shaman to destroy it

There are a couple of statements in this stretched-for-word-count essay that I actually agree with. Obviously, that wasn't the writer's intention but nevertheless:
"At some point, we each have to be held accountable for our individual actions," Bloom said. "If I drive slower, it doesn't mean I'm going to stop car accidents, but I don't have to perpetuate and be a part of it."
Well... okay. But not a very good analogy. DESTROY your vehicle to save lives. You're not shooting less people these days... you're not proposing to shoot people slower. You're saying you want to destroy the tool... so do it.

"I wish people would take a real solid look at what their gun can do and treat it like the tool that it is and not the sort of political ideology that it's become."

Sorry... that genie got let out of the bottle when politicians took up the fight to disarm Americans. The politicization and "fetishism" we have about our firearms and ergo, our civil rights and liberties, are the thing that keeps us from being like UK, Australia, and Nazi Germany. They didn't revere their firearms as we do and many, many of them regret it now. I'm not comparing Australia and UK to NAZI Germany any further than the act of voluntary self-disarmament and living to regret it.

"You could destroy guns all day long and it would not impact the guns in society..."

Admitting to the futility of the gesture is a start, but it doesn't alter the efficacy of the gesture. It only serves to show that one understands that he's cursing the darkness without effect. It doesn't strengthen his position or give it more gravity, just makes him look impotent. Self-aware... but impotent.

It's not hard to get rid of a gun. Contrary to HuffPo's assertion, pretty much everyone knows that the local PD or SD will take an unwanted gun (dude says he called the police but they didn't return his call... an obvious dead end). Guns are just metal and plastic. We've seen YouTube and FB vids of virtue-signaling "like"- junkies getting their fix with a chop-saw or bandsaw. Disassemble, smash it, pour concrete in it... do whatever you want. Just don't expect to get praised, revered, and recognized from this side of the debate.

Seems a issue is being made from nothing.
No one is saying that you must own a firearm...
And if you no longer want to own a firearm you are free to:
Sell it...*
Give it away...*
Turn it in...
*all while following legal means of course.

As for the argument of :
"Well I don't want my former gun to end up in the hands of some dangerous person...."
To be blunt , that is not your problem....if you followed the legal means of selling or gifting your firearm , then the firearm is no longer legally yours....
As a side note with this concern / argument ...Are you saying that Background Checks are not working , effective , a deterrent , or the safety measure , that they are touted to be...? :rolleyes:
( 'Cause that I would agree with... )

Also you are not responsible for the actions of a stranger....that is on them not you , or any former property of yours...
I would ask:
"Are you not going to sell a old car of yours , 'cause the new buyer may have a accident or drive recklessly...?"
Andy

This is moronico_O

Wth is wrong with people???

Go to a pawn shop and be done with it.

This has the mentality of someone in the Fastlane driving the exact speed limit while getting passed on the right because "this is as fast as anyone should be driving" or those sickos that can't manage life anymore so they kill their whole family before offing themselves.

I have a chainsaw in the garage that's easily as dangerous as my firearms:rolleyes:

"I need to FEEL like I'm doing SOMETHING therefore, that makes me a better person than you".

That's all it equates too.... their ego of their own self-perception, and the need to "stand out".

What's also glaringly omitted from the equation is the nature of human nature. It WOULD be nice if humans weren't so "fecal-itty" towards one another and lived by "the Golden Rule", but enough of them don't at depths that know no bounds.

Any sensible person would realize "unicorns and rainbows" aren't the answer. Predatory "animalistic entities" roaming the earth only understand (aka respect) strength, and firearms (in particular) make that a level playing-field... a senior citizen, a lone 120-lbs female, (hell even a 12-yr old kid) can stand down (or dispatch) a >200-lbs biker or gang memeber (or even a group of them).....

Clearly, the world is full of people who's sensibility is overridden by emotionalism and cognitive dissonance.

Last Edited:
@Stomper nailed it: virtue signalling.

From the article:
A few months ago, Hooper moved to Eugene from Las Vegas, hoping the eclectic college town would provide a change of pace. He now lives in a duplex apartment with his dog, Bear, a fluffy 5-year-old Schipperke mix and licensed emotional support animal.

The army didn't cause the PTSD, the Route 91 shooting did.

They need help getting rid of guns. I can't do it themselves. Guns are not objects, they're totems. Symbols of someone else's power. He can just destroy it, he has to pass it to a shaman for the shaman to destroy it
:s0140:

But I need people to know how good a person I am and how much I love puppies. If I just destroyed my gun, who would know?

Maybe Starbucks could have a melt your gun day. They could have a huge bonfire, burn their guns and have a good cry. $5 coffee always make me cry. Anyway, we could be done with it. People who don't know how to get rid of a gun are too stupid (seriously) to own them.

But I need people to know how good a person I am and how much I love puppies. If I just destroyed my gun, who would know?

Maybe Starbucks could have a melt your gun day. They could have a huge bonfire, burn their guns and have a good cry. $5 coffee always make me cry. Anyway, we could be done with it. People who don't know how to get rid of a gun are too stupid (seriously) to own them.
No kidding. We hear and see every day of uppity sleazeballs crying for bigger government and social programs.. paid for by YOU at the point of a gun. Just shut the f up already and give all of your own money directly to the IRS anonymously.. there's no law against that and leave us alone.

sounds like he's trying to impress an anti girl, or a group of them. Far better ways to do that.

Snide comment

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads