JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I see them, young adult males (needing a bath and a shave), circling around on small bikes. Sized like the old Schwinn Stingray bikes. But those were for kids of smaller stature. What's with the scuzzy-looking young adults on these things? Is this some kind of new fad? Mostly, I see them around the same places where I see homeless and day laborers hanging around. And at bus stops.

Having been to one of the bike shows locally.. I can say this... BMX bikes are still very much popular with teens and adults who have never given much thought to getting a full size bicycle :rolleyes:

I mean really. There's like 3 classes at one show, BMX, Schwinn, and Vintage :rolleyes:

#1 you don't actually need a license to ride a bicycle
#2 you don't need insurance to ride a bicycle on the street
#3 its a very quiet discrete type of transportation
#4 you can get away from most cops in cars on a bicycle
#5 you can't afford any other type of transportation because you can't keep a job, or pass a driving exam

I see them, young adult males (needing a bath and a shave), circling around on small bikes. Sized like the old Schwinn Stingray bikes. But those were for kids of smaller stature. What's with the scuzzy-looking young adults on these things? Is this some kind of new fad? Mostly, I see them around the same places where I see homeless and day laborers hanging around. And at bus stops.
My guess would that the bikes are most likely stolen. Who in their right mind as an adult would ride a kids bike??

#1 you don't actually need a license to ride a bicycle
#2 you don't need insurance to ride a bicycle on the street
#3 its a very quiet discrete type of transportation
#4 you can get away from most cops in cars on a bicycle
#5 you can't afford any other type of transportation because you can't keep a job, or pass a driving exam
Also if it's stolen and you are running from the Police on it you can ditch it without it coming back to you. Homeless can be devious and use their brains if it fits the scambthey want to work.

Around here, it's because kids tend to leave their bikes laying around unlocked, so homeless guys will grab them. They will take anything not down, and any bike is better than walking

I rode my sisters bikes when I was a kid since I ran out of patches to fix my inner tube on my bike. I rode to Payless for a inner tube patch kit. After several patches I would buy a new inner tube.

This was before armored tires and green slime inner tubes back in the 1970's.

Homeless and/or druggie scum, often still riding their childhood bikes. Some big box stores have such a problem with them camping nearby that they keep the bicycle accessories in locked cases. Welcome to liberal America.

Not sure where you all live, but I've seen "bike derelicts " my entire life. All up and down the west coast anyway. Actually extremely effective in urban/suburban areas. Especially at night.
Petty criminal QRF. (Quick run-away force)
I think the OP is saying they noticed more people on BMX/similar sized bicycles vs regular adult sized bicycles these days. Just an observation though; the BMX format will destroy knee cartilage faster than regular bicycles, and just as fast as road rucking with excess weight.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top