JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dressing like a militia-member and walking around downtown with long guns slung is a sure way to scare/offend/piss off people...

are we, the People not unorganized Militia members according to 2A? (by that; I mean all able bodied persons of age, not involved with the National Federal Guard, or in the Standing Army/Navy)

When did the US Code forbid the formation of Militia units subordinate to the Constitution?
(I know Oregon has a law on the book forbidding Paramilitary groups due to that one guy in the 70s/80s..)

I would hope the debate is not with me as I made clear everyone in every and all attire should be at an event if there was one not just a suit. I know many friends that could not buy a suit. Half mine I had to get off the clearance and have them tailored to look good....btw a heck of a lot cheaper than people that wast their money on high end stuff.

How about this. We open carry in a rally with the LCP style pink firearms to show that "black guns" are not what people seem to think. Maybe in portland people would be much more open minded if your AR was Rainbow colored rather than black and "scary". Just a thought...please do not comment as if I am really wanting you to do this. I am joking and do not want my inbox filled with questions about what gunsmiths will do this for their rifles. SO do not come asking.

40calruler; there's Thrift Stores to get cheap suits that fit good ;)

regardless of attire; normal people have all kinds of attire; the notion here is that of "perception of normalcy"; I would wager that a business suit wearing male with a long rifle would look out of place on the Pearl District area of Portland due to the number of Hipsters nad such; BUT a bearded, skinny jean wearing, plaid shirted tattooed sleeved young man with hockey pucks in his ears, with an AR, would certainly draw attention, and yet show that he is as close to normal for that area, save for the fact he has a gun. It all depends on the area. for the Capitol, it takes ALL kinds. not just camo, not just business suits, not just business casual, but every kind.... from the (technically)homeless** to the well-off and everyone in between who are responsible gun owners.

**- those who do not own a house, nor rent land; but rather, live in the public, in a car/RV/Camper, in a mobile house, camping year round, or living in the Wilderness

are we, the People not unorganized Militia members according to 2A? (by that; I mean all able bodied persons of age, not involved with the National Federal Guard, or in the Standing Army/Navy)

When did the US Code forbid the formation of Militia units subordinate to the Constitution?
(I know Oregon has a law on the book forbidding Paramilitary groups due to that one guy in the 70s/80s..)

I agree that people have the right to form groups and wear militia style gear. It may cause a ruckus but at this point maybe a ruckus from our end is needed and not just from one guy with a shotgun. This site gets thousands of views a day. More even so how many of us that will never hand over our guns would stand together. Alone is as I stated before stupid but a solid group of people wanting to stand up for their rights...not wanting a fight just wanting the point to be made that most of us who carry do so to help not to hurt people. If I saw someone trying to hurt a woman, man, child, or anyone with a weapon I would step in. That is the point that needs to be made. Most of us got our guns to defend our family, neighbors, and ourselves or even perfect strangers that are in a situation that they need help with. If a group of of folks went downtown like the occupy portland event but with the point to be for the 2nd amendment and march around do you think all the dealers, tweakers and thieves would feels so comfy like they do with just the cops there now? I have to work the graveyard often and every night there is something wrong and horrible going on in downtown and the cops do nothing about the dealers and scum that walk freely down there. Prove we are there to change things for the better and how can they continue to argue that people with guns are just rednecks and criminals looking for trouble.

Hey I have found some awesome ties and good slacks at thrift stores. There is nothing wrong with throwing something someone else got to big for in the washer and wearing it so long as it fits you. I have even found suit jackets and sport coats. I will save money on dress clothes anyway I can.
Pearl district is filled with hipsters but equal parts lawyers and politicians and other members of the "upper class" the condos down there are half a million dollars for some or more. There are all types there. If you go up to 23rd or 21st you will find equal parts dress clothes and hipster attire. I am down there daily and often all night or at least late at night and in charge of 6 locations that make me drive all through downtown most of the time. There is a bit of everything. You are right that a guy in a suit may stand out more but only because a lot of guys in suits carry but do not have the balls to stand out there and allow their boss or co-workers to see them holding a rifle with the bearded men and other sorts. Some of us could care less.

40calruler; there's Thrift Stores to get cheap suits that fit good ;)

regardless of attire; normal people have all kinds of attire; the notion here is that of "perception of normalcy"; I would wager that a business suit wearing male with a long rifle would look out of place on the Pearl District area of Portland due to the number of Hipsters nad such; BUT a bearded, skinny jean wearing, plaid shirted tattooed sleeved young man with hockey pucks in his ears, with an AR, would certainly draw attention, and yet show that he is as close to normal for that area, save for the fact he has a gun. It all depends on the area. for the Capitol, it takes ALL kinds. not just camo, not just business suits, not just business casual, but every kind.... from the (technically)homeless** to the well-off and everyone in between who are responsible gun owners.

**- those who do not own a house, nor rent land; but rather, live in the public, in a car/RV/Camper, in a mobile house, camping year round, or living in the Wilderness

That is awesome. I love the guns that I have from my grandfather and father. None are of that kind of age but it is cool that that has been in your family so long and you carried that.

love your heirlooms, your great grandchildren might carry them at their rally . This particular one started life as a flintlock and captured from the north to the south and converted to percussion cap and reissued to a distant relitive....I even know the name of the armorer that did it from the CS markings....yes from the south and no I am not a confederate flag lover but respect the history and heritage of the true meaning despite my new label of a confederate flag waving white trash redneck

Ah yes you did get labeled by one but fortunately the rest of us know that when many here
Are losing an argument they jump on that racist card very quick as its an easy low blow when you run out of real true facts to debate with. Luckily those of us with sense ignore it and know better. A new guy should try coming on a little less strong if they want tone taken seriously and this thread has shown that twice between you and blitz being called racist white trash by newcomers.

Anyway that is an awesome rifle and luckily you know it's story. When I am old and grey some of the firearms I pass on will be over 100 years old with many stories from my grandfather, father, and now me.

Ah yes you did get labeled by one but fortunately the rest of us know that when many here
Are losing an argument they jump on that racist card very quick as its an easy low blow when you run out of real true facts to debate with. Luckily those of us with sense ignore it and know better.

Thanks, I totally respect others opinions and agree with a lot of what people are saying but when I am guaranteed that I ruined it for everyone based on the cloths I wear I just can’t let it go…..as others have said just because you can doesn’t mean you should but that is their decision and I am not going to tell them they are wrong for exercising their right the way they see fit………I personally would have made a 2A sign so one of my fellow 2Aer’s didn’t cap me thinking they stopped the next psycho….NOT because some penny loafer got skeerd and spilled his latte down his business casual

Just look at the crowd from the Olympia 2013 rally, people, jeans, suits, camo, lots of ladies and children. America, the real one

Thanks for the support guys, I am used to the ad hominem attacks and they actually make me laugh now, because they are a sign of intellectual weakness and an empty magazine :cool:

When you go to a second amendment rally or protest dressed in camo, you are not coming off as a normal everyday person, you are seen as an extremist and that isn't going to win over anybody. Gun owners need to portray themselves as intelligent normal people, if you dress like every one else you can't be singled out for anything other than being a everyman gun owner. You're one of them, just with a gun.

And here is the thing... the vast majority of people walking around schools, public buildings wearing camo and carrying their guns aren't even doing it for the Second Amendment, they just using it as a excuse to draw attention to themselves and attract LEOs attention so they can get their youtube video and be a hero to basement dwellers everywhere. The various videos all over the net is proof enough.

Do you really want to be associated with these fools?

When you go to a second amendment rally or protest dressed in camo, you are not coming off as a normal everyday person, you are seen as an extremist and that isn't going to win over anybody. Gun owners need to portray themselves as intelligent normal people, if you dress like every one else you can't be singled out for anything other than being a everyman gun owner. You're one of them, just with a gun.

And here is the thing... the vast majority of people walking around schools, public buildings wearing camo and carrying their guns aren't even doing it for the Second Amendment, they just using it as a excuse to draw attention to themselves and attract LEOs attention so they can get their youtube video and be a hero to basement dwellers everywhere. The various videos all over the net is proof enough.

Do you really want to be associated with these fools?

Except I saw several of them at our EXTREMELY successful 2013 rally. If you don't want to wear camo then don't (I certainly didn't, but was I really bad for wearing a Wooly Pully sweater in forest green?)

I never call sincere fellow patriots who actually show up in person, "fools"..

Except I saw several of them at our EXTREMELY successful 2013 rally. If you don't want to wear camo then don't (I certainly didn't, but was I really bad for wearing a Wooly Pully sweater in forest green?)

I never call sincere fellow patriots who actually show up in person, "fools"..

They didn't make the rally successful, the vast majority of the normal looking people did.

While most of the negative attention I read was directed to the quote "wannabe militia hill billies". Most of the pictures used on the anti sites, were not of the rally in the whole, but of the wannabe army guys.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top