JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wasn't sure exactly what boxes you were referring to, so I watched. Very cool.

I don't care how much/little it might pay. Just getting home from a hellish week at the ulcer factory, I can't tell you how appealing such straightforward handiwork looks to me.

During the time I was making my living as a Custom Knifemaker I really enjoyed those times I got a project that allowed me to carefully setup a machine and then spend hours making parts. Something liberating about watching something be created. I would get to the point that my movements where almost like a dance step.

Up in Oregon there is a whole darn lumber mill running on steam-power - the Hull-Oakes lumber Co of Dawson, not far from Corvallis. Until fairly recently the pick-up train used to reverse all the way there with a M&N transfer caboose - no turn-around facility at the plant end....

Sadly, that all stopped and the FP is now hauled out by truck. See you there in a couple of weeks!

tac

Up in Oregon there is a whole darn lumber mill running on steam-power - the Hull-Oakes lumber Co of Dawson, not far from Corvallis. Until fairly recently the pick-up train used to reverse all the way there with a M&N transfer caboose - no turn-around facility at the plant end....

Sadly, that all stopped and the FP is now hauled out by truck. See you there in a couple of weeks!

tac

I've never seen this one, but there is another at the Antique Powerland in Brooks Oregon. I remember going as a kid and being amazed by the entire process.

Also, regarding the boxes, was nice to see Rogue boxes in the mix!

I've never seen this one, but there is another at the Antique Powerland in Brooks Oregon. I remember going as a kid and being amazed by the entire process.

Also, regarding the boxes, was nice to see Rogue boxes in the mix!

You can see the steam saw mill in operation the last weekend in July and the first weekend in August as part of the great Steam up. It's a great event.

I went to the Thrashing bee (the pre Steam Up) with my grandfather when they were here in Silverton on Harvey Mikkelson's farm just out towards Bethany market. There's a Seventh Day Adventist church there now. They would harvest a few acres of wheat during the day and it was mostly a farmers picnic.

Steam power - gotta love it. I worked a steam train crew for a few years at the rail museum in Sacramento and had a blast - at least in the cooler weather. They used to have a huge steam demonstration with everything from washing machines to tractors at the CA state fair - unfortunately over the last 10 years or so the area they had to set up in was cut in half almost every year - about 5 years ago when I last saw it they no longer had the room available to demonstrate the steam tractors and all but a few steam motors were simply on static display.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top