JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Academia, eh? Ain't that some kind of a nut, right?

Suits me.

In resplone, yes, I've taught for a goodly proportion of my military career, first as an instructor for five years, and then, later, as the Chief Instructor of an Intel School here in UK, and in the USA and Canada, where I actually set up a whole new training programme. When I left the Army, I went out to Japan, and spent the best part of seven years in Tokyo, doing the same thing for the Japanese. I love to communicate, and my method of imparting knowledge works on the AoMCPP.

That, friends, is the Application of the Mass Custard Pie Principal - plaster the student with facts facts facts facts and some of it will surely stick. I used to teach a forty-subject, multi-methodology sixteen-week long course - nine hours a day - totally from memory, and got video'ed every minute I was doing it, and THAT, friends teaches YOU a lot, let alone the poor student.

In between times, I've been an Expert Witness for the Crown, and others, on firearms-related crime caught on camera of any kind. I write on a number of other fora, as some here know, but in particular sigforum and gunboards as well as Swissrifles.com, and I'm the president of the Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland - www.vcrai.com - in my spare time.

I look on my membership here as a great gift from all of you to me, helped by the fact that I know many of the streets that you walk, and the sights that you see around you. I've walked the Steens from Frenchman's Creek, and wondered at the Wallowas and Hells Canyon, and scraped my hands scrabbling at Fort Rock. I've watched the sun go down at Cannon Beach, and made smores with dear friends while waiting for the dawn at Port Orford. I've bought my Ts at Eddie Bauers' in Lincoln City, bought my belts from the same guy in the Portland Saturday Market since forever, got drenched by the blowholes in Depoe Bay and frozed on Mount Hood. I've ridden the trains from Garibaldi and McKewan and Prineville. I've gone to sleep on the deck, and woken up later by starlight over Spencer's Butte, and washed my feet in the McKenzie. I've stood on the pontoon at Scottsburg Landing and watched the crawdads scuttling aound in the clear water, and stuffed myself silly with the best ice cream on earth from the Tillamook Cheese factory. I know Highway 101 from the border with that other state, and been told off for roller-skating on the Astoria-Megler Bridge at the other end, flown a paper glider off the Astoria column and more, and and love it all.

I'm coming back as soon as ever I can.

Bleeve it.

tac

That, friends, is the Application of the Mass Custard Pie Principal - plaster the student with facts facts facts facts and some of it will surely stick.
Ah, but the big question is, will the RIGHT "some of it" stick? :)

Granted, my goal is teaching at a civilian college or service academy rather than a military training program, but my own lesson plans include things like...
--Range Day: Fire the opposing weapons of the conflict and write a paper comparing and contrasting both the firearms themselves, and the doctrines and cultures that created and shaped them.
--Lunch On Me: Eat a modern-made version of a WWII C-ration and a modern MRE, write a similar compare-and-contrast paper.
--Immersion: Hit the Paintball range--using those nasty painful pepper-balls--taking one session using the tactics and doctrines of each side, then write another C-and-C paper. Winning squad gets pizza on me.
--Command Reenactment: Study an assigned officer in a given action, what resources and info were available to him, both personal and equipment strengths and weaknesses, available intel, what they knew, what they SHOULD have known, what they did right and what they did wrong--then come back and try to change history on the wargaming table. Again, it will Pay To Be A Winner via me buying lunch.

Work 'em hard, but inject some fun into the mix so they only realize how much hard work it was and how much they learned when they look back afterward. :)

Make a thread, "the tac facts" could have all kinds of foreign related firearm stuffs since he's one of the few overseas members.

The absolute last thing I'd want to do is to come over as some kind of PITA know-all, so I'll pass on that, thanks.

And in resplone to the original posit, yes, as far as many things to do with guns and shooting are concerned, I DO live on a different planet, as you have no doubt learned from my posts in resplonement to some of your questions. However, comma, if you ever saw me on a range, you'd never guess that I was any different to any other guy.

This is me and her in front of the old house, just before they put the new porch door on...
upload_2016-10-15_10-49-54.png

Best to all here.

tac

Huh. Ruined my story-line there. It was going to develop into something amusing. Still, there's enuff amusing stuff over here to satisfy that aspect of just about all of my posts, it seems.

The things around the neck are 'telluators' or something like that, that tell you all about what they think about Stonehenge up to the time that they were programmed. mrs tac was pissed that they had English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Dutch versions, but neither Welsh nor Irish. Welsh is the language of the country less than thirty miles away, the 'Land of her Fathers', and I got a strange look when I asked for an Irish one.

I'm told that they work by electrissity, or something. But there are no electric strings connecting them to the wall or anything, so I'm rather at a loss there. There's no way that they could get a record-playing machine in there, anyway. Where's the speaking trumpet, for a start? In the end me and her put it down to magic.

tac

PS - Stonehenge, eh? It will look great when it's finished, they say.

The absolute last thing I'd want to do is to come over as some kind of PITA know-all, so I'll pass on that, thanks.

And in resplone to the original posit, yes, as far as many things to do with guns and shooting are concerned, I DO live on a different planet, as you have no doubt learned from my posts in resplonement to some of your questions. However, comma, if you ever saw me on a range, you'd never guess that I was any different to any other guy.

This is me and her in front of the old house, just before they put the new porch door on...
View attachment 317369

Best to all here.

tac
You do have the inside scoop on firearm laws and other things overseas. ;) The rhyme was too good not to say :p

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top