JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
View attachment 1104524
This is an anti material rifle, though the vast, and I mean VAST majority of people will instantly recognize this as a Barrett "sniper rifle." I let it slide just the same as I let clip/magazine and caliber/cartridge slide. Let people enjoy things, Karen
Video games have made kids who've never fired guns before familiar with the names and profiles of rifles. Barret definitely is a example of that.

While in the Army , I went to the Army's Sniper School...I trained with both the M21 and M24 rifles.
Of the two , when doing the actual task , I preferred the M21.
I carried and used the M21 during two of my four combat deployments.

So I would say that there are indeed "Sniper Rifles" as well as "Snipers"....
With that said however , not every rifle with a scope , is a Sniper Rifle , nor is every rifle shooter a Sniper.
Both Sniper and Sniper rifle are overused and often misapplied terms for sure.

Regarding the school itself...
I enjoyed the field craft portions of the class the best.
Learning how to stay unnoticed and more importantly , how to get away after making the shot...
Was more of an interest to me , than the shooting.
Don't get me wrong the shooting portion was good and even "fun" at times...I just enjoyed the field craft better.
Andy

Last Edited:
....These rifles are built to far tighter tolerances, using very precise tools and equipment, by highly skilled armorers, and then hand fitted to the very unique specifics of the shooter...
And after all that money and hand-fitting, it still makes me laugh to think of how many iso-mats had to be cut up and taped to the stock so they could get a proper cheek weld. :s0112:

When symbology and language are hijacked by the delusional leftists they will begin to use it to their advantage and further their agenda Assault Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Gay (which in fact actually means happy), Rainbow (which in fact is God's covenant with mankind to never flood the earth again)…just a tip of the iceberg. Matt Bracken demonstrated this in his first book EFAD where the rouge AFT/FIB boys convinced the President to "ban sniper"rifles after a Mosin Nagant was used to shoot someone, then did the same to ban "sniper scopes"….houses burned with kids inside and dogs were shot…as usual.

Rifles are rifles, mags are mags and clips are clips, happy is happy and rainbows are rainbows. Anyone confusing the facts aught not be taken seriously.

Behold the Snipe from which we get the word "sniper"
DSC_4228copycopy.jpg

Being a bird, wouldn't a sniper rifle thus be a shotgun?

Sorry not sorry, my sniper rifles are all chambered in 22lr and come with 30 round clips. They fire 30 caliber clips at 100 rounds a thing that goes up.

People can call things what they call things. No sense in losing one's mind over it.

Sniper rifle is the "this generation" version of the last generation always calling magazines "clips".

If I have one thing to say about all of this is, why are gun people so easily worked up about what something is called?

Being a bird, wouldn't a sniper rifle thus be a shotgun?
Seems a net was the weapon of choice;

"One of the simpler techniques Ali demonstrated was the "torch and gong." The bird trapper takes advantage of a moonless night to find water birds (such as snipe) carrying a flaming torch while beating a disorienting gong to obscure the sounds of the approaching trapper.

When the bewildered bird is spotted, a net is thrown over it to catch it. A snipe hunt, plain and simple.

The snipe hunting tradition has continued in wildlife research, with updated tools and techniques. For example a 1959 report from the Illinois Natural History survey outlines the snipe-hunting method (they call it "night-lighting") using a truck driven through a field with a generator-powered bank of spotlights, with a trapper riding on the hood carrying a long-handled net."

RE : Sniper Rifle.

By using the words "Sniper Rifle". IMHO......the Media and the Politicians are possibly getting everyone ready for the next banned item.

Think about it.....

Any rifle with a scope = Sniper Rifle

That sounds dangerous, war like and ugly.......it needs to be banned. Rrrrright just like......

Any rifle (semi-auto, magazine-fed, that looks war like) that is black = Assault Weapon/Rifle

THEY control the language (more or less) and they are planting the seeds to control the future narrative.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Seems a net was the weapon of choice;

"One of the simpler techniques Ali demonstrated was the "torch and gong." The bird trapper takes advantage of a moonless night to find water birds (such as snipe) carrying a flaming torch while beating a disorienting gong to obscure the sounds of the approaching trapper.

When the bewildered bird is spotted, a net is thrown over it to catch it. A snipe hunt, plain and simple.

The snipe hunting tradition has continued in wildlife research, with updated tools and techniques. For example a 1959 report from the Illinois Natural History survey outlines the snipe-hunting method (they call it "night-lighting") using a truck driven through a field with a generator-powered bank of spotlights, with a trapper riding on the hood carrying a long-handled net."

Would that be one of those black fully semi automatic assault nets? Since they seem to be a beach bird would you suggest camo speedos or the ninja black ones?

My long range rifles are "anti-material" rifles. I've never called them "sniper rifles." Silly term anyway. I'm not a sniper. If I was, then they'd be "sniper's rifles."

Remember....
Kid_with_AW.jpg

But......YES, the measure was passed.

Q: Is this an example of.........
1) A Sniper Rifle in use.
2) An Assault Rifle in use.
3) The next generation of Domestic Terrorist in practice.
4) Child Abuse/Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor
5) Another obvious reason why ALL GUNS should/needs to be banned.
6) All of the above.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Great, just great… now you've spilled the secret that nearly every hunting rifle can be used for the purposes of sniping. I anticipate a huge uptick in heart attacks as politicians now go after these dangerous hunting rifles and all the fudds start having coronaries.

:s0118: Haha…
In 1965 they used Winchester 70's bought from a Sporting Goods store. I think the difference was they made special handloads for them.

The point is, there IS such a thing as a Sniper Rifle, and while the term gets tossed about a lot, usually by the uninformed, it none the less does describe an actual tool, rather then a host of similar looking and feeling tools that are NOT!

Keep in mind, throughout the U.S. Military's history, Sniping and Snipers have always been looked down upon, they never had been truly embraced as a legitimate fighting force or skill set, often seen as an ugly necessity instead, to be used only when needed, and quickly forgotten and never mentioned after. In the U.S. formal Sniper Training was a very limited sub-set of training, usually done outside regular training evolutions and kept to the minimum, and when war came, used rarely until it became a necessity, and soon forgotten when the fighting stopped! That all changed in the 90's with the first Gulf War, and our ongoing war on terror, the U.S. Military was faced with a whole host of new challenges on the modern battlefield, and only a trained sniper could address those challenges, so training, ( And the publicity, public acceptance of) has ramped up markedly, and while some still take a very dim view of this unique method of fighting, it has become far more mainstream within the services and far more accepted, and even critical to any future war fighting!
The U.S. Sniper is here to stay, and that's a good thing! And like most things American, has really been embraced tightly and taken to whole new levels of range and accuracy, something both civilian and military can benefit from!
^^^This resonates with what I read in One Shot One Kill. In the late 1970s they developed a purpose built "sniper rifle" (based on a Remington 700) and sniper schools. The first schools were established by the Marines at Quantico.

Last Edited:
The CMP conducts "Vintage Sniper Match" with sniper rifles? I agree with other posts that it will be used
against gun owners. I remember the call to ban the 'Saturday Night Special' and now it is 'Assault Rifle'.
50 cal. Rifles have already ben purposed to be banned.
Vintage Sniper Rifles.
7OJ66DMUOVL5SB5J2MSO7IEM3M-1024x565.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews