JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all

Today I took out the 329pd and experienced some light primer strikes. I was shooting some Winchester white box 240 grain soft point factory ammo, which would not ignite and had a very faint indentation. The hornady 240 factory worked fine and had a nice indentation.

The firing pin protrusion is very shallow compared to another smith revolver I had with me.

Pics to follow

IMG_20160402_184829219.jpg
IMG_20160402_184325718.jpg

I pulled the trigger and checked pin protrusion and the hammer bottoms out on frame. So I'm thinking something other than tension. I'm wondering if the ledge below hammer face can or should be filed down,as their is more firing pin stroke if I push with a pencil eraser tip..

I pulled the trigger and checked pin protrusion and the hammer bottoms out on frame. So I'm thinking something other than tension. I'm wondering if the ledge below hammer face can or should be filed down,as their is more firing pin stroke if I push with a pencil eraser tip..
I'm no gunsmith but I'd hold off on any filing etc.
Personally, I'd establish that the springs are within spec and I'd imagine that that could be accomplished via measuring the trigger pull in pounds with the proper spring scale.

Please don't file on the frame. Clean the gun 100%. If you aren't comfortable doing it, let a gunsmith do it. If that doesn't fix the issue, then send it to the factory. They should be willing and able to warranty the issue.

I've seen a few of these Airlites that have just enough pin protrusion to work properly. These pistols also have a lighter spring set in them, from the factory.
New FP and a new (extra power) spring and you will be good as new...

Lol.... I'm not filing anything :D

Its definitely the firing pin which is short and has like a 30° bevel on it instead of the nice rounded edges :eek:

So....looks like velzey is spot on, now to find someone to get this beast hummin :)

Always nice to put a face to the usernames here! The new pin from S&W ended up being .017 longer, and had a nice radius on the nose. The repair went well as did the test firing!
Back in action it is!

I was getting light primer strikes on my S&W 500 when I got it factory new. I ended up having to send it back to get it fixed. One of the things they had to do was tighten up the sloppy cylinder. After reading that I think that was more of a cause than anything else.

Always nice to put a face to the usernames here! The new pin from S&W ended up being .017 longer, and had a nice radius on the nose. The repair went well as did the test firing!
Back in action it is!
Yep, Mr. N is a good man for sure. :)

I've seen a few of these Airlites that have just enough pin protrusion to work properly. These pistols also have a lighter spring set in them, from the factory.
New FP and a new (extra power) spring and you will be good as new...
Funny stuff, I found this thread on the internet! Nice to see NWFA in the headlines!
Yesterday I picked up a used 329PD and it does EXACTLY the same thing as @filsonhand 's does. We put two brands of ammo thru the gun and both were the same. The light primer strikes didn't change even after being struck twice.
Looks like I've got my answer.

Funny stuff, I found this thread on the internet! Nice to see NWFA in the headlines!
Yesterday I picked up a used 329PD and it does EXACTLY the same thing as @filsonhand 's does. We put two brands of ammo thru the gun and both were the same. The light primer strikes didn't change even after being struck twice.
Looks like I've got my answer.
200.gif

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class