Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Smith and Wesson light primer strikes

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by filsonhand, Apr 2, 2016.

1. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Hello all

Today I took out the 329pd and experienced some light primer strikes. I was shooting some Winchester white box 240 grain soft point factory ammo, which would not ignite and had a very faint indentation. The hornady 240 factory worked fine and had a nice indentation.

The firing pin protrusion is very shallow compared to another smith revolver I had with me.

Pics to follow

2. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

IMG_20160402_184829219.jpg
    IMG_20160402_184325718.jpg

3. filsonhand

I checked the tension screw and its good.

4. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Did you get it new?

5. filsonhand

Negative, its a low round, used piece.

6. Certaindeaf

Bingo. I'd suspect a "spring job" of some sort.

Fast Eddie likes this.
  7. filsonhand

I pulled the trigger and checked pin protrusion and the hammer bottoms out on frame. So I'm thinking something other than tension. I'm wondering if the ledge below hammer face can or should be filed down,as their is more firing pin stroke if I push with a pencil eraser tip..

8. Certaindeaf

I'm no gunsmith but I'd hold off on any filing etc.
    Personally, I'd establish that the springs are within spec and I'd imagine that that could be accomplished via measuring the trigger pull in pounds with the proper spring scale.

9. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Please don't file on the frame. Clean the gun 100%. If you aren't comfortable doing it, let a gunsmith do it. If that doesn't fix the issue, then send it to the factory. They should be willing and able to warranty the issue.

10. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

I've seen a few of these Airlites that have just enough pin protrusion to work properly. These pistols also have a lighter spring set in them, from the factory.
    New FP and a new (extra power) spring and you will be good as new...

NWCustomFirearms and Sgt Nambu like this.
  11. filsonhand

Lol.... I'm not filing anything :D

Its definitely the firing pin which is short and has like a 30° bevel on it instead of the nice rounded edges :eek:

So....looks like velzey is spot on, now to find someone to get this beast hummin :)

Velzey and Sgt Nambu like this.
  12. filsonhand

IMG_20160402_223101992.jpg

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  13. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Always nice to put a face to the usernames here! The new pin from S&W ended up being .017 longer, and had a nice radius on the nose. The repair went well as did the test firing!
    Back in action it is!

308 likes this.
  14. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I had a K-frame that I shot so much the hammer spring finally failed, but boy was it smooth for that last 1000 rounds!:rolleyes:

Velzey likes this.
  15. FordPrefect

FordPrefect Woodburn, Oregon Active Member 2016 Volunteer

I was getting light primer strikes on my S&W 500 when I got it factory new. I ended up having to send it back to get it fixed. One of the things they had to do was tighten up the sloppy cylinder. After reading that I think that was more of a cause than anything else.

16. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

Yep, Mr. N is a good man for sure. :)

17. filsonhand

:D :D :D :D