JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The 19 came out before the morgue monsters and jello junkies determined the 125 grain magnum was the best stopper. I believe the rifling of the barrel was made for heavy bullets when the 19 came out. I have had great luck with 38 specials with a full wadcutter in 148 grain loaded with about 3 grains of 231 and seated flush with the case mouth. You will have to clean out the chambers to shoot magnums after shooting specials of any load.

If you consider Reloading; I'd recommend you take a look at WW-231 for Target loads and WW-296 for the Magnums. Both are Ball powders and generally run very clean. Using 2.7-3.2grs. of 231 behind a 148gr. HBCW or a 158gr. SWC will produce an excellent Target Load.:):):)

I don't make it a habit to publish my Magnum loads because of somebody misreading the info and having a problem. Much depends on what Bullet you decide to go with. Good Luck.

There are some powders that are exactly the same but have different names. HP 38 and 231 are the same powder and H110 and 296 are the same powder. Both are outstanding performers but read the cautions on 296-H110 before you load with it. Another powder I have had great luck with in magnums is Aliant 2400.. I only load jacketed bullets in my magnum loads and only lead in my 38s. Geez I talk too much after all this coffee.:confused:

and WW-296 for the Magnums.
Depends on the gun - out of an N or L frame or a modern K frame yes but not in a pre lock K frame. While 296 is a FANTASTIC magnum powder for .357 Mag it must be loaded exactly to the Mfg. data and not reduced at all and these loads are on the top end for .357 Mag. I use 296 to load rifle .357 ammo but would never shoot those rounds out of my Mod 66.

6C66AD79-076E-4812-A4C8-53A613F171D2.jpeg I like 19's a lot, bought one of the first 66's to be sold outside of law enforcement. I havn't owned one for a long time going to the M60 and 629 for Smiths. This is my new medium frame 357.........1000.00 with Cabelas discounts.

Yeah..It seems like I can't get a flint or even a percussion cap to stay in place...:eek::D
Andy

Man... Medic stole my thunder... I was going post something similar last night and my tablet needed to be fed from an outlet....

I just have this mental image of Andy with a patch and ram rod trying to load his Smith.... You know...since these modern cartridge things are just a passing fad. :rolleyes::p

Errrr ahhhh Andy just a thought now o_O if you wear your coon skin hat from black powder shooting when you shoot the 19, make sure the coons tail is behind your head.:) folks here are just so helpful eh?:D

I don't know where I picked these up but they're yours if you want them.
Nice condition (little dirty) early made Pachmayr Presentation square frame grips.
They have just the right amount of firmness without being rubbery like the Pachmayr Decelerators.
Here's some pics showing them. Just let me know where to ship them.

grips k frame S&W 001.JPG

grips k frame S&W 002.JPG

Last Edited:
I don't know where I picked these up but they're yours if you want them.
Nice condition (little dirty) early made Pachmayr Presentation square frame grips.
They have just the right amount of firmness without being rubbery like the Pachmayr Decelerators.
Here's some picks showing them. Just let me know where to ship them.

View attachment 425613

View attachment 425614

I have a pair of these on an old Colt Trooper III.
They don't look like much. But they have a very grippy feel. And fill my hand well. I really like them.

You should give them a try Andy. ;)

Last Edited:
If you are looking at the Pachmayr Grips; I think you should be looking for the SK-S model. The 2nd stands for Small. The set shown is the SK-L which is the Larger ones. It takes a really LARGE hand to work with those.:)

Man... Medic stole my thunder... I was going post something similar last night and my tablet needed to be fed from an outlet....

I just have this mental image of Andy with a patch and ram rod trying to load his Smith.... You know...since these modern cartridge things are just a passing fad. :rolleyes::p

Just trying to be like the other cool kids in class...
I figure since its the 21st century...I might as well have a 20th century revolver....:D
Andy

Yea, since you already reload, Andy, you might as well start reloading centerfire. Straight-wall centerfire is about as straightforward as it gets and buying bulk, cast SWC's would be just the ticket.
If you wanna go old school, you could consider the Lyman 310 tong tool..

Those 310 tools are pretty neat , I have used on for a .45/70 rifle and .45 colt.
Didn't know they made one for the .38 Special...
Andy
They were made in just about every caliber of there day. Not sure what Lyman offers today but the .38 Special is a good one. Of course once you have the basic tool it's just a matter of changing the caliber.:)

Pictures as promised...sorry not the best photographer.
Andy
View attachment 425307
View attachment 425308

Gun looks like it had rubber grips on it before. The top picture shows the outline where dirt got under the grip and wore the finish. Rubber flexes when you shoot and rubs the finish so it takes extra cleaning. Plus some of the early pack Mayers had the stiffening inserts rub the finish off too. I know you bought it to shoot but one day you might want to sell it so it's good to know where the wear marks come from.
Another obvious wear mark is the ejector rod. Guys forget to lubricate that moving part and it wears the blue off making it look like it was shot much more than it has. The turn ring looks great and shows the action should be good. Smiths lock on the bolt so you can see by the cylinder bolt cuts the gun is probably in good shape, baring the home gunsmith trigger job.:)

Check the ejector to make sure it's not comming unscrewed, a common reason the cylinder wont' open. Just a few tips, hope you don't mind the remindero_O

Lee also makes a squeeze type tool that takes Standard type dies. FWIW there is a set of RCBS Carbide Dies for the .38 Special/.357 Magnum listed in the Classifieds Section for $35.00 and that's a real bargain. Carbide Dies are the Only way to Fly when you're rolling your own!:):):)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top