JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
FWIW you need to remember that the Ejector Rod on Modern Smith and Wessons is a Left Handed Thread. My first S&W came to me many moons ago when I informed another Shooter that he was trying to tighten the Rod up by turning it the wrong way! He was an Army Captain and a Dentist aka: Not Too Bright. Last time I had that particular Pistol appraised it came up with a $25K suggested starting price! I guess I've made out pretty well with that particular purchase - paid $85. and it came with 900 Rounds of Military Ball Ammo!!!:):):) Yes, I still smile about that deal these many years later.:D:D:D

FWIW you need to remember that the Ejector Rod on Modern Smith and Wessons is a Left Handed Thread. My first S&W came to me many moons ago when I informed another Shooter that he was trying to tighten the Rod up by turning it the wrong way! He was an Army Captain and a Dentist aka: Not Too Bright. Last time I had that particular Pistol appraised it came up with a $25K suggested starting price! I guess I've made out pretty well with that particular purchase - paid $85. and it came with 900 Rounds of Military Ball Ammo!!!:):):) Yes, I still smile about that deal these many years later.:D:D:D

Right on!

Last Edited:
If you're trying to tighten or loosen an ejector rod, it's advisable to insert at least three spent brass shells equidistantly apart into the cylinder and then place the rod itself into a padded vise. Then use only your hand to turn the cylinder.

If you're trying to tighten or loosen an ejector rod, it's advisable to insert at least three spent brass shells equidistantly apart into the cylinder and then place the rod itself into a padded vise. Then use only your hand to turn the cylinder.
This is certainly a Very good suggestion but it's NOT the only way to get the job done.

Andy,
You bought a nice S&W at a price you feel good about, enjoy it.
You can buy the Pachmayr grips off e-bay very cheap. Try the Grippers for everyday use. They work well. Keep your S&W grips, as they are worth a lot more than the rubber grips, as you will see on e-Bay.
Practice with .38 specials or +P .38 specials. Try speed strips and speed loaders. The strips are a lot easier to carry and they come in 6 or 8 rd sizes. I am from the old revolver era and I still carry S&W's, mostly in N-Frames, but I have some of the K-Frame snubbies (purchased reasonably when others switched to auto's) and you can't beat them for ease of carry. Mine are mostly round butts, but there are some square butts in there. My wife's house gun is a 2 1/2" model 19, round butt, blue, with crimson trace grips......no trouble staying on target at night with those.....I think the S&W Forum can direct you to serial number-model year. They stopped making model 19's in 1999 if my book is right.
Do yourself a favor and buy a used copy of Bill Jordan's book "No Second Place Winner"...try e-bay. He is the major influence on getting the Combat Magnum (19) and he could do things with it that will make you smile.
I met him a couple of times and talked with him a few more.......he had a phone number that was the same as a local bank, except for a switched digit. If you got it wrong, the bank gave you his number and told you about the switched digit. Super nice guy, very humble, you will like his humor and his adventure stories... he has other books, like "Mostly Huntin" that are good to.
If you like those, try Elmer Keith "Hell, I Was There" or Colonel Charles Askins "Unrepentant Sinner" (also a Border Patrolman, like Bill Jordan and lots of stories-UNVARNISHED). If you run out of those, let me know, I have a few hundred others to point you towards.
I lived by the gun and I'm still here and I read all of the above & more and I do believe it & a lot of practice helped....
Good Luck

USAF active 1967-71, reserves 1974-75 -Security Police, now Security Forces. Carried Mdl 15, 38 spcl as primary for 14 mths and second weapon for 34 mths with M-16. Mdl 15 had 158 gr round nose duty ammo. Personally owned Mdl 15 carried when employed by private patrol service in Oakland, Emeryville and Berkeley, CA. Used 125 gr JHP. Never any problems. Carried Mdl 19 railroad police, city PD, State Police/Highway Patrol 11 yrs. Always carried 38+P 125 jhp ammo. Still have the 19. Very nice shooting handgun. No problems.

Other firearms carried - With State Police/Highway Patrol Colt Cmbt Commander 45 acp - 3 yrs, S&W Mdl 686-357 - 7 yrs, S&W Mdl 4006-40 cal - 13 yrs. Current retired concealed carry is Sig Sauer P2022, 9mm with California magazines, sometimes carryin the Cmbt Commander w/8 round mags.

So...I sighted the revolver in today...
I only had some 158 JHP and Jacketed Soft Points in .357 magnum...
( CCI Blazers , S&B and some Speer Gold Dots )
All shot well and I was hitting in the 8-10 ring ...at 10 yards...
Now to try some .38 Specials....was thinking of trying the 158 grain semi wadcutter +P "FBI Load"...
And of course more practice 'till the gun and all my movements with it are second nature...
Andy

Recommendation 357 158 gr bullets. Or, shoot 38 as much as you want. Or, if you handload you can load for 38/44 and that is lite 357; works just fine. Avoid 357 125 grain period.

Very nice revolver Andy!

In my LCR, I carry these:
Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Pistol & Handgun Ammunition
And use these for reloads in speed strips:
Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

You would get better velocities out of your longer barrel, than I get out my snubby.

My alternates are these:
38 Special 150 Grain Lead Wadcutter

38 Special 158 Grain Lead Semi-Wadcutter Hollow Point Gas Check

And I would not hesitate to use these, even though they are not hard cast. They are mild and go where I aim.
Winchester 38 Special Ammo

Remington 38 Special Ammo

Last Edited:
One more thing. I looked into the current .38 special, 158 grain +P, FBI loads from Remington in particular. The consensus was they are not reaching the velocities that they used to and the lead is not as soft as it used to be. As a consequence, people were stating the mushroom effect was not happening out of their shorter barreled revolvers.

I was bummed because they are relatively easy to get and not very expensive.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top