JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks..I think its been carried a lot and shot a bit less...
There are two small nicks on the right side of the barrel , that I may polish out and touch up blue...but I am not fully committed to that idea....
Holster wear doesn't bother me much...just don't like abuse or "Oops" marks...
Andy

Converting from square-butt to round-butt.... I didn't know such a thing was available for these things.

I have a 6" N-frame model 28-2 Highway Patrolman with square-butt grip, and the grip upgrades are much more limited than the round-butt version. I currently have the aforementioned Pachmar "gripper" on mine as well (the pristine factory wood grips are stored in the gun safe), and as mentioned they're a wee bit narrow.

Is a square to round-butt conversion even available to do, and would it ruin any intrinsic value of the gun if done? What would be a "ball-park" guess on the cost of such a project?

Last Edited:
As mentioned; I have turned a few "Square Butt" "Duty Guns" into Round Butt but I don't recommend this for a Collectable Smith. Wether it's Collectable or not is up to the owner. The process I have used is all hand work so it involves something over an hour of labor. Depending on the Hourly Rate for the Pistolsmith it can be costly. :):):)

This option is only necessary if the owner wants it to be.

The actual placement of the Serial Number can also determine if this option is possible. I won't disturb the original Serial Number on a Firearm.:)

Nice find, Andy. Carried a lot, not shot much could be that it was a duty weapon. I'm a fan of wood grips. Here's my high polished stainless 66-2, 4" .357 Mag. They'll have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers. It's a keeper.
GunInv2016-SWRev1.jpg

Thanks!....
Very nice Zeke! Those are the grips / grip profile that I like rather that ones on my revolver...
RVTECH told be about Altamont grips...they have a "panel style" grip with basketweave checkering in rosewood that looks tempting...
Andy

Carried one of those on duty for many years. Most all law enforcement did for a long time. The Pachmayer grips are a good investment. The only reason I got rid of it was to go to a Colt Python and then onto a Glock when we were finally allowed to go to semi-automatics.

Thanks!....
Very nice Zeke! Those are the grips / grip profile that I like rather that ones on my revolver...
RVTECH told be about Altamont grips...they have a "panel style" grip with basketweave checkering in rosewood that looks tempting...
Andy
I love those grips. They are wide enough to fit my hand perfectly. On top of everything else, somebody did a professional trigger job on mine. As soon as I tried the double action trigger I said, "I'll take it!" :)

The m19 is possibly the best shooting .38 ever with the bonus that you can shoot .357 occasionally, I prefer the smaller service style stocks to the target stocks but that is a real classic.

By the pictures it looks like the 19 has many years of service left in it. I am a fan of the grips you have on it. Many years ago a deputy sherriff showed me how that grip was very hepful shooting from a barricade position. That bigger grip made it easier. Good luck.

I hope you don't mind if I divert your thread just a little with a question. Do you think combat with a revolver is a lost art since the world went to auto? Just a little history, Jack Weaver used a Smith very similar to yours to win many combat pistol matches in his day. As an old guy that recognizes that the wheel gun is obsolete I wonder how many younger guys can run one now:)

I found a pair of new Pachmayr Gripper Professional grips and you're welcome to them. They're a smaller version of the Gripper series and maybe they'll fit a sweet spot.

DSCN0378.JPG

I hope you don't mind if I divert your thread just a little with a question. Do you think combat with a revolver is a lost art since the world went to auto? Just a little history, Jack Weaver used a Smith very similar to yours to win many combat pistol matches in his day. As an old guy that recognizes that the wheel gun is obsolete I wonder how many younger guys can run one now:)
Sure it could be a lost art...when everyone* thinks that you need a pistol with 10 or more rounds , lights and lasers to to hit anything with...
But...
As long as there are revolvers out there and the folks that like 'em... then no its not a lost art ...but more like a uncommon art.

For my use as a woods gun and self defense gun...I think it will work just fine...After all I am used to single shot guns that load from the muzzle...This revolver is all manner of high speed in loading and firing compared to a flintlock or caplock...heck even to a percussion revolver...:D

Are there pistols that are "better" or ones that load and shoot faster or more accurately?...Of course.
But if I practice with the load that I shoot the best with...I wouldn't just curl up and wait to die , 'cause this was the only gun I had...
Andy
*Everyone as in everyone on TV and movies , gun magazines , video games etc...

Last Edited:
I found a pair of new Pachmayr Gripper Professional grips and you're welcome to them. They're a smaller version of the Gripper series and maybe they'll fit a sweet spot.

View attachment 425424
WOW!
Thanks GOG!
Those are good looking grips...I'd love to give them a try...
PM me and let me know how much / cover shipping etc...
Andy

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads