JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry for the drift but I got all nastalgic when I saw the 19. I shot revolvers for many years before autos took over, it's been great fun and a good challenge. First year they opened deer hunting to handguns I killed one with a revolver.

I agree, the art of the revolver isn't dead, if any thing, it's more specialized and practiced by those who understand them and strive to be proficient with them! I like to do a lot of Cowboy Action shooting with a pair of Remmy 1858's, and you learn pretty quick to be good, or not! I'm still learning! :D

I did carry a Revolver in the service, it was my own personal piece, but we were allowed to train and practice once we had done what was required of us with our service side arm! I actually got pretty good with it, and need to spend more time practicing with it now!

Here is a pic of my19-6 snubby. Still makes me smile when I pull her out....:D

55B1C54A-1668-495E-8802-76535F2BF58B.jpeg

The open backstrap does smart a bit more, but it keeps the grip size down. That Gripper Pro model is smaller than the Gripper and makes a nice compromise for recoil and size. That's been my experience anyway. :)

I have owned several S&W K frames. The 4 inch is the perfect size packing/shooting
pistol. IMHO;) Owned several pachmayr grips but I prefer the Nylon Hogue grips.
Lots of other fancy wood grips available from Hogue. The original 'Coke Bottle'
grips are pretty but not too practical. I have bought used duty revolvers and
notice the right hand grip panel shows more wear than the left. From being
carried in a holster. I would not change the squarebutt into a round butt.:confused::confused:
Many good grip choices for the square butt.:rolleyes:
hogue square butt - MidwayUSA

350px-S%26WModel19-4Inch.jpg
wm_6005778.jpg

Last Edited:
They are worth about $100 if there innice shape.
Unfortunately his grips are not in this category as they are the later 'cutout' style for a speedloader and depending on the year model of his gun may not be the originals. 'Football' grips are a different story however as well as the ultra rare early 'coke' grips.

My grips may not be original...as they are ink stamped with "SECONDS" in blue ink on the inside panel.
That said...if I replace 'em...they will be stored in the box with the papers etc....

All in all , I am pleased with the gun...I bought it in mind for a using gun , not an investment or "Safe Queen".
The holster wear , tiny nick on the barrel , possible non original grips are all of a secondary concern to me as I was more concerned with lock up , bore condition and wear on the forcing cone.

The lock up is nice and tight...no excessive play in the cylinder...hammer and trigger "roll" back smoothly...bore is bright and shiny and there is no crack or excessive wear on the forcing cone.

All I really need to do is find a good solid load that I can shoot well with and practice with it...Lots...:D
Andy

I don't reload so I don't really know what kind of load you could work up. But FWIW I'm very simplistic with my ammo. I carry Federal 158gr. +P LSWC's.

Unfortunately his grips are not in this category as they are the later 'cutout' style for a speedloader and depending on the year model of his gun may not be the originals. 'Football' grips are a different story however as well as the ultra rare early 'coke' grips.
Even the late 80s early 90s cut out targets in nice condition will easily sell for close to $100 on eBay. Try buying some and you will see. And you are correct the gun would have had the foot ball targets on it or magna's.

My best shooting buddy (gone from us now) had a 6" 19 with the target grips that was the best target shooting revolver I have ever used. However, if'n I was gonna carry it in the woods I think a Pach or Hogue grip would be a perfect option.

BTW: We have a few, very few, IDPA competitors that use revolvers and they are very, very, good with them. Don't run, you'll just die tired.

Hmmm, I just looked... the door gun is a .357/38. I have some leftover .357s in it, but in the nightstand I have a box of 129gr HydraShok .38+P, and a box of 110gr Hornady Critical Defense ammo .38+P.

For target shooting, I reload .38 158gr hardcast with 3.5gr of HP38. It is only 745fps but real fun to shoot.

Target ammo:
I like the idea of a 158 grain hardcast bullet...might have give reloading a try...:D
Andy

You will be hooked!!!

I also use Red Dot for target shooting because it is cheap and usually plentiful. It is a dirty powder, but not more so than the traditional Bullseye and Unique powders.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top