JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So...
Just got back from a local gun show and ended up with a S&W 19-3
This one has a 4 inch barrel.
I did check and did not see a crack in the forcing cone...so I hope my new to me revolver is good to go.
I understand the primary users / market for these revolvers were Law Enforcement...anyone have any experience with this model of Smith?

The good...
I got it for a steal...don't ask but even I knew it was a good price...
The lock up is nice and tight and the bore is very shiny no pits or dark spots
The box , papers and sight adjustment screwdriver came home as well...
Oh and a holster ( Bianchi #5BHL ) too...

The not so bad...
Lots of holster wear and a few nicks from being carried...

The ugly...
Its a Smith and Wesson 19...I am not overly fond of the issue grips...but again at the price I got it for I will not complain.
( too much :D )

Serial # 2K700xx
Anyone know just how old this revolver is?

I got this revolver to use as a "field / woods" carry gun and house gun...I was thinking of running 158 grain .38 Specials and 158 grain .357 Magnums through it for this use...
But am open to suggestions....:D
Pictures to follow
Andy

Last Edited:
They say the problem with the forcing cone was hot 125 grain magnum loads, the heavier loads you are suggesting is fine.

That said most would argue you should limit the amount of magnum rounds.

If it was my 19 I would shoot 148 grain wadcutters out of it to get the most fun and limit the magnums to hunting. That sweet trigger on the 19 will really show itself when you shoot target ammo. Magnums tend to make you anticipate the shots and cause flinching. By getting used to the gun with target ammo you will beat the flinch before it ever starts. Speed loaders are your friend with a 19.

Don' beat it up, they are getting harder to find.

If you call the Factory they will tell you what month and year the gun was shipped. I like the longer Barreled Guns but do own a few 4". You've got a fine wheel gun.:)

That's great, Andy! I'd just cold blue the ugly offn it, if any.
I never liked any Smith wood grips either.
Pachmayr grips have been the go-to for generations and I'd think a gripper model would be swell, no pun intended, lol.
Love the K-frames!

Pachmayr Gripper Grips Finger Grooves S&W K L-Frame - MPN: 03264

286246.jpg

They say the problem with the forcing cone was hot 125 grain magnum loads,
Yep - the old Super Vel 110 & 125 grain loads - these bordered on INSANITY for shooting.
Most of the Mod 19s that had cracked forcing cones were those used by LEO. When the Mod 66 came out the blued 19s took a backseat and the 66s became the preferred LEO carry revolver - and this transferred the forcing cone issue to them.
Reasonable, modern .357 loads of 140 grain and heavier will never be an issue.
Grippers on my 66 ND - a little 'thin' but they are about the best non - wood grips for a K frame.
prLn_IIKLFMo9rGcdVg51OGQwosAh6HrX6oU6qpTqEW19X-ITyneW9poNe-hAou6Tw9C8yurfmHVwYc8858=w329-h245-no.jpg
'Presentations' are nice if you like the shape of 'standard' S&W wood grips but with the hard rubber 'feel' These are on my Victory.
xaQ3oTIRUQsYjdICpy7j8LKa0yUaAtxBPVr0LHoEk4L_NHSkUqbY-QKy0uVcWnE3d1eHP7tVZGfCQF8N4nE=w800-h600-no.jpg

Last Edited:
I love my 19-6. It's a great little gun and likely won't leave my collection. Great bluing and awesome trigger. Nice job finding a keeper Andy!

Model 19's are possibly the best combat revolvers ever made,
Story goes there was a famous law man named Bill Jordan and the model 19 is due to him.

S&W use to recess the cylinders on all their magnums and you also have the pinned barrel, in this configuration IMHO these are going to hold their value.

I have the stainless version 66-1, I would love to find a 2 1/2 model 19.

Andy; If you can find a good Pistolsmith and have him/her turn your new toy into a "Round Butt" you'll find a good many more options for a replacement set of Stocks. One of the finest I've ever found is the Pachmayr SK/C which is for the RB Guns.:):):)

A round butt conversion might be a neat thing...I'll have to give it some thought...
In the meantime I am hoping for a non rainy day to sight her in and see how I shoot with it as is...:D
As for grips...I like a more "rounded" feel and the S&W issue grips..feel flat like a board to my hand...
Andy

In days gone by I have turned more than a few "K", "L" and "N" Frame 4" Barreled Smith and Wessons in the "Round Butt" configuration for mainly other LEO types. Now I think the only shape Smith and Wesson turns out is that one. I picked up a Model 586-4, 6", last weekend and was pleased to find it was already done by the Factory. It's the last of the non-lawyer locked Guns and I'm not sorry I did it.
I'm sure you will be happy as long as someone hasn't "messed" with the Internals.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top