JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently saw a good deal on a Garmin instinct 2 solar and it got me thinking... maybe I should get one or something similar for back county hiking and hunting. Onx tracking is the #1 cause of drain on my phone and the ability to drop a pin and track my location on a watch that can go weeks(with solar charging) was very appealing to me. Mainly just to tell time and help keep my bearings but also track my activities and sleep. I'd rather spend a few hundred on a watch I could use daily vs a few hundred on gps only Device I'd only use when in the woods.
Any of you guys using smart watches and have recommendations? Are they practical or hard to use being so small? Or anything else I should look at?
Thanks!

I got the Garmin Instinct 2 Solar for my husband for Christmas. He really likes it, and we already had the Garmin Montana 700i, so we were paying for the subscription anyway. We haven't used it for hiking or anything like that yet, so I don't think he has really tested the mapping on it. I know that his big complaint is that it is difficult to see the screen. It's just not bright enough. I'm not sure if there is a setting, he has certainly tried, but it is a challenge for him. He has to pull out his cheaters just to see the time. He has issues with contrast anyway; some websites are a struggle to read. He is a runner, so he uses it to measure his heart rate, mileage, recovery time, etc.

The charge seems to last about a month.

Hiking and stuff.....
I just hate it........when I've forgotten to turn my alarm (or timer) off, on my Casio. LOL.....yeah, it's a CHEAP ONE. But, it's still working!

Aloha, Mark

1713469157108.png

I have has a Samsung one for couple years. It is capable of doing a LOT of stuff I have never bothered t learn to use it for. The main reason I love it is keeping me from walking off without my phone. :D
Has saved me from coming back for the damn phone at home and work many a time. If I start to walk off without phone the watch tells me.

I have has a Samsung one for couple years. It is capable of doing a LOT of stuff I have never bothered t learn to use it for. The main reason I love it is keeping me from walking off without my phone. :D
Has saved me from coming back for the damn phone at home and work many a time. If I start to walk off without phone the watch tells me.
Now you need a fitbit to alert you if you're not wearing your watch.

I wouldn't mind trying one, but I HATE having a watch on my wrist when I'm doing stuff. If they had a belt hanger, I'd prefer that

They can offer a lot of useful information quickly without having to bring out your GPS.

Any of you guys using smart watches and have recommendations? Are they practical or hard to use being so small? Or anything else I should look at?
Thanks!
I have a GPS watch for many years now and virtually never use it. Its too small to navigate with and the interface with a desktop computer is clunky proprietary software to upload and view GPS data later on. Garmin charges additional for mapsets I think? My phone is my primary navigation GPS devise now, with the Caltopo app, all the best topo mapsets are free and autosync with the free browser login for viewing later. Airplane mode assures a couple days of hiking use saving battery.

GPS watches are cool, they work and can be useful but for me its not anything I want to use daily as a primary navigation system.

Another vote for ...
Map ....compass...and know your pace count.

I have used GPS...I understand their charm...
To be honest...I really don't trust 'em.

'Course back when land navigation was part and parcel of my job ( LRRP / LRSD Lead Scout / Team Leader) ....
GPS was brand new...and had...shall we say...lots of issues.
So that may color my view point a bit.... :D
And yes I get that they have come a long way...but not for me.
Andy

Battery packs to charge your phone are so cheap and light that I'd rather keep one of those and a cord in my pack then a watch that does that stuff. But to each their own.

I have a question for you that use a phone, or watch, based GPS.

What happens if you can't get a cel signal?
Cell signals and GPS signals are two different things. Using your phone (Google Maps in this example), you should be able to to download the area beforehand (even an entire state) for offline use and still use GPS. Look in Maps settings.

I think a cell signal is used to download the maps as needed plus live updates on traffic patterns, speed traps, and accidents.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top