Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

SKS Bayonet bracket removal .

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by DuneHopper, Jul 19, 2015.

1. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

I have several SKS's one is a bastard with no matching numbers so preserving it is not any priority.
    It didnt come with a Bayonet , but it has the bracket in the barrel. I am wondering best way to take it off without heating the barrel or damaging it. I realize there is a pin in it but I do not have a press so would be
    done by hand and not sure that is how its removed without messing up the barrel.

sks.jpg

Thanks.

2. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

This feller seems pretty confident with a punch and a hammer.

3. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

Cool thanks I will watch it and see, its such a sensitive areas to heat or pound on . I will watch and see .

Thanks Again.

4. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

I rarely say this but you can use a dremel tool and a cut-off disc ( I ugh I said it ;)). Those front sight bases are sometimes so tight they are impossible to remove without screwing stuff up.
    Mark the bayo mount with a black sharpy in two places. Slowly cut two slots parallel with the barrel until your about 1/16 from cutting into the barrel . Take a small cold chisel and tap it into one of the slots you just cut.
    It should pop right loose.

Ive seen the sight base and the bayo lug on so tight that there isn't a need for the cross pin..I think they put them on with a hydraulic press!

Have some cold blue on hand, and a little steel wool for the bare metal under it!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    DuneHopper likes this.