JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have two rifles that I would like the muzzle devices removed from, one is an IWI Galil ACE with a Surefire Warcomp and the other is a Savage Scout 308 with factory device. Any guidance in the Southern Oregon area would be great!

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Somewhere in Southern Oregon to take them in to have them removed? If so, I can't help there, but.....

Honestly, those are both easy enough to remove at home. Secure the barrel (vice with rubber grips/leather/etc), apply heat and twist off with a padded wrench (IE., folded paper in the jaws).

Heat isn't always necessary, but if it's unknown if there may be locktite applied it can save you some time/effort and... even if there isn't... it just makes it all the easier. You can always try the wrench first and if it seems it may take a good amount of force... then... opt to apply some heat.

The OEM IMI Galil muzzle device has a locking nut you twist in opposite directions from the muzzle device itself, but IIRC the Warcomp (nice hider, BTW) and Scout OEM device are simply screw on/screw off types.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Somewhere in Southern Oregon to take them in to have them removed? If so, I can't help there, but.....

Honestly, those are both easy enough to remove at home. Secure the barrel (vice with rubber grips/leather/etc), apply heat and twist off with a padded wrench (IE., folded paper in the jaws).

Heat isn't always necessary, but if it's unknown if there may be locktite applied it can save you some time/effort and... even if there isn't... it just makes it all the easier. You can always try the wrench first and if it seems it may take a good amount of force... then... opt to apply some heat.

The OEM IMI Galil muzzle device has a locking nut you twist in opposite directions from the muzzle device itself, but IIRC the Warcomp (nice hider, BTW) and Scout OEM device are simply screw on/screw off types.
I am a pretty DIY kinda guy, and in a perfect world my post would've only been asking a question if I was having problems getting them off. As it stands now though, I don't have a vice and only a very limited amount of gunsmith specific tools. So for things like this I gotta reach out to the community. But ya know, I've been looking for an excuse to buy a vice!

I am a pretty DIY kinda guy, and in a perfect world my post would've only been asking a question if I was having problems getting them off. As it stands now though, I don't have a vice and only a very limited amount of gunsmith specific tools. So for things like this I gotta reach out to the community. But ya know, I've been looking for an excuse to buy a vice!
Gotcha! Yeah... pretty handy if you do much with your firearms.;) A drill press vise with a couple C-clamps can be had pretty cheaply. A carpenters vise would work too... and can be had fairly cheaply as well. Versus a table vise that is. They're ideal, but typically more spendy and not everyone has a surface to mount them through.

Other than that it doesn't require any specialty gunsmithing tools. Just a standard box wrench will get it done. Ideally a torque wrench is preferred, but not absolutely necessary.

Another option is just jerry rig a vice with a couple clamps. Laying it horizontally on a table top (vs. vertical) works too.
1696890553701.png

Last Edited:
I have two rifles that I would like the muzzle devices removed from, one is an IWI Galil ACE with a Surefire Warcomp and the other is a Savage Scout 308 with factory device. Any guidance in the Southern Oregon area would be great!
I don't know of any shop down that way the is Black Rifle competent.
Betcha there's something in Grants Pass if you check around.

Make sure that whoever does the work, clamps the barrel and does not clamp the receiver for the muzzle device removal.
In the meantime, it might also help if you could email/call the manufacturers and see what threadlocker (if any) was used when they installed the muzzle devices.
Rocksett and Loctite each have different break procedures.

After an epic struggle I got the muzzle device free from my Savage. Not epic like battling an army of Orcs for control of Middle Earth, but it was damn close. Once removed, I think I may have found why it was so difficult. Let me know what you guys think, as if I have to ask for your opinions. :rolleyes:

tempImageVFn725.png

Are you sure that's a factory install? I couldn't find anything about Savage using any adhesive, solder or spooge or whatever that is
It's not any type of adhesive. I'm pretty sure it was screwed in so far that the threads were scraped off when the barrel went into the part of the muzzle device that had a reduced inner diameter. Email with photo sent to Savage already.

After an epic struggle I got the muzzle device free from my Savage. Not epic like battling an army of Orcs for control of Middle Earth, but it was damn close. Once removed, I think I may have found why it was so difficult. Let me know what you guys think, as if I have to ask for your opinions. :rolleyes:

View attachment 1741492
Ru-oh....
Looks like it was pinned and the pin was dragged across the threads on the way off.
Can you see something that looks like a tiny puddle weld on the muzzle device ?
I highly suspect this 🖕.If present, it would have been on the underside of the muzzle break. Either that or someone went bonkers with rocksett.

It doesn't look like it was done during installation. If it had I think there would be some noticeable deformation of the back threads which "appear" to be perfectly fine... from that camera angle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top