JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Chinese sks with a short collar threaded barrel (middle). The barrel was chopped to 16" by the bubba before me. Looking to swap the barrel out and found a paratrooper barrel that's a long collar threaded (top). Does anyone know if they are compatible?

20230219_095132.png

I'm not certain but I think 16" is an OAL bust (SBR)....but if the crown is good or will clean up, and if you keep the OG 10 round mag, you can thread a brake on and get the OAL to 16.5. You'll need an annular cutter to center the OD thread cut. I've used 14mmX1mm (standard AK). Saves on a mess of technical machine work and will likely be a good shooter. The other issue will be the front sight. A P50 is straight forward for about $75 bucks and you can push it right against the brake. I've used them before and done a few chop jobs. PAX

002_zpsqysqujag.jpg
003_zpsdtpz5ntu.jpg

Last Edited:
I'd try the easiest route first. You can even just make sure you have a good crown and go out to the country some place and test shoot a few rounds at 25 yards and see how it prints. Just make sure it's a secure area and break down the rifle to components before traveling back to the barn. Double check on the OAL for compliance, it could be big trouble you don't need. Do the number match and how is it otherwise. Here's another one I did with a William rear. With the aperture out it's very fast, like ghost rings. I'm lucky to have a buddy with the cutting, threading and facing tools. But last 3 chop jobs have been to 18.5" because that leaves enough undercut ID to use a neutered front sight globe. The black rifle is in Butler Creek furniture with a Mojo rear and 5 round mag, it too is quick Some commercial SKS imports were cut to 18.5" just before the ban. The black gun and the bull pup have the same barrel length, 18.5" but in the Shernic it was too short by1/2 inch. I fixed a Ramline brake to it and brought the OAL to the 30.5", 1/2" to the good. PAX

001.jpg
001.jpg 002.jpg
003.jpg 001.jpg

Last Edited:
I'd try the easiest route first. You can even just make sure you have a good crown and go out to the country some place and test shoot a few rounds at 25 yards and see how it prints. Just make sure it's a secure area and break down the rifle to components before traveling back to the barn. Double check on the OAL for compliance, it could be big trouble you don't need. Do the number match and how is it otherwise. Here's another one I did with a William rear. With the aperture out it's very fast, like ghost rings. I'm lucky to have a buddy with the cutting, threading and facing tools. But last 3 chop jobs have been to 18.5" because that leaves enough undercut ID to use a neutered front sight globe. The black rifle is in Butler Creek furniture with a Mojo rear and 5 round mag, it too is quick Some commercial SKS imports were cut to 18.5" just before the ban. The black gun and the bull pup have the same barrel length, 18.5" but in the Shernic it was too short by1/2 inch. I fixed a Ramline brake to it and brought the OAL to the 30.5", 1/2" to the good. PAX

View attachment 1801431
View attachment 1801432 View attachment 1801433
View attachment 1801434 View attachment 1801435
Oal is good to go sitting at 36" barrel is 16.5". Receiver, barrel, BCG, and FCG are all # matching but pretty much everything else has been swapped at some point in its life. I have a 1/2-28 thread kit from CNC warrior that was used for a different project which is what I will thread it to if I decide to go that route. Part of me wants to try and convert it back to as original as possible but another part wants to slap it in an SGW stock like the one you posted

Oal is good to go sitting at 36" barrel is 16.5". Receiver, barrel, BCG, and FCG are all # matching but pretty much everything else has been swapped at some point in its life. I have a 1/2-28 thread kit from CNC warrior that was used for a different project which is what I will thread it to if I decide to go that route. Part of me wants to try and convert it back to as original as possible but another part wants to slap it in an SGW stock like the one you posted
The simplest route I know is a P50 front sight (or other if there is one), bam you're done. With that much barrel removed you defiantly got into good lands & grooves. I've been using a 2* target muzzle face. You're gonna have a cool little Para "clone". Good luck let's see it when you're done. At 16.5" you're going to be too short on the barrel for a Shernic, you'll need to add a brake, prolly threaded. I could maybe swap out a Chinese SKS for your set up if you're wanting stock rifle length. Depends on what your after and what you wanting to $pend. PAX

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads