JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am going to re-nickle plate the bolt on my H&R model 121, 20 gage shotgun. I need to remove the firing pin for cleaning.
I can't find any detail of the bolt assembly or the firing pin. If anyone out there knows how to remove the firing pin on this model, I could sure use some advice.
Thanks in advance. William Campbell.

1000032716.jpg 1000032723.jpg

ui_bolt.png
If I were to guess...I would say removing the cocking pin #48, would release the firing pin, spring and washers... etc.
Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 17.25.54.png
I agree with @jbett98 ...looks like the firing pin is threaded. Striking my guess.

Last Edited:
I've worked on a Mossberg that was kinda like yours and you would press the firing pin down on a soft block of wood while holding the handle body and when the back part of 44a clears the bolt handle body, you would unscrew it until it comes free.

I've worked on a Mossberg that was kinda like yours and you would press the firing pin down on a soft block of wood while holding the handle body and when the back part of 44a clears the bolt handle body, you would unscrew it until it comes free.
Removing the firing pin head was my first thought. The latch pin will not clear the back of the bolt. I tried removing or unscrewing the latch pin. It does not budge.

View attachment 1837911
If I were to guess...I would say removing the cocking pin #48, would release the firing pin, spring and washers... etc.
View attachment 1837912
I agree with @jbett98 ...looks like the firing pin is threaded. Striking my guess.
I tried unscrewing the firing pinn from the head, even heating it in case locktite was used. It doesn't budge. Im still scratching my head.???

I tried unscrewing the firing pinn from the head, even heating it in case locktite was used. It doesn't budge. Im still scratching my head.???
Ĥ
Try drifting out the #5 bolt head pin, located in #4 bolt body. There looks like a slot in the #7 handle body.
I removed the drift pin in the bolt body. That allowed the forward section of the bolt body to slide off. That did not release the firing pin. I'm still looking at options.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have one more trick to try but I need to make a tool to implement it. I'll follow up later.

You could try and clamp the firing pin in a padded vice and then rotate the handle along with the firing pin head and see if it unscrews from the back of the firing pin.

Found a pic of what someone claims to be the firing pin for an H & R 120, 121... looks like exactly what @jbett98 was describing.

It also looks like you could remove the spring washer and flat washer first. (#46 & #47), that would release any spring pressure that might keep the firing pin from turning. It might even allow the bolt handle to slide off....leaving you with just the firing pin attached to the firing pin head.

ui_fpwashers.png
1709824678076.png
1709824702066.png
1709824487899.png
<click to enlarge photo>
photo eBay

Last Edited:
You could try and clamp the firing pin in a padded vice and then rotate the handle along with the firing pin head and see if it unscrews from the back of the firing pin.
I believe the head does unscrew but it must be installed with Red Locktite. I couldn't make it budge. I was afraid of shearing off the threaded end.

Threads look correct... but as another guess, it could have the cocking pin driven into the pin cap...to make contact with the top of the firing pin...to keep it from unthreading???
ui_cockingpin.png
ui_fpthread.png

Found a pic of what someone claims to be the firing pin for an H & R 120, 121... looks like exactly what @jbett98 was describing.

It also looks like you could remove the spring washer and flat washer first. (#46 & #47), that would release any spring pressure that might keep the firing pin from turning. It might even allow the bolt handle to slide off....leaving you with just the firing pin attached to the firing pin head.

View attachment 1839091
View attachment 1838211
View attachment 1838212
View attachment 1838210
<click to enlarge photo>
photo eBay
I made A SPRING COMPRESSOR to get access to the spring retainer. It's a bit Rube Goldberg, but it works.

1000032759.jpg 1000032764.jpg 1000032762.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top