JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I purchased an SKS that came with a 30 round steel mag with no country of origin stamped on it, the bayonet and cleaning rod removed otherwise completly original as far as I can tell. If there are no aftermarket parts added to the weapon is it 922 comliant? Or since the parts have been removed is it out of compliance due to those mods?

The 30 rounder will put it out of compliance since it's not in its "original configuration". The bayonet can be removed for "shooting purposes" according to the ATF, but there is no set length of time that it can be removed for (it's a grey area).

I would either install an original 10 round magazine or start playing the 922r parts counting game.

This inspires another question: has anyone even HEARD of an ATF agent inspecting anybody's SKS and finding fault to arrest anyone? Does the ATF even CARE about an ordinary citizen with an out-of-compliance SKS?.............................elsullo

922r is a bit of leftover law from the Clinton era assault weapons law. Essentially, if you start changing parts you have to change enough that it becomes a "US made" firearm. For the SKS, there are a bunch of sites out that have lists available parts for sale that can turn your SKS into an AK wanna-be.

As I understand, it is a rule/law that was left on the books from the assault weapons ban. I regulates the # of "restricted" parts on semi-auto rifles that are imported into the US. If the weapon is modified from it's "sporting" configuration then it cannot have more than a specified # of parts on the restricted list that are not made in the USA. From what I am seeing the quickest way to compliance is a Tapco kit.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top