JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I decided to purchase a single stage press for loading .308 for accuracy. Question is what should I get? I have looked at Lee, RCBS and Hornady and like them all. Someday I will get a blue machine to spit out the rounds .40 and .223 but right now want to learn on a single stage. Who knows I might even like it and stick with the single stage if it is therapeutic :s0114: Also is it better to buy a complete kit or piece one together as you will not use the cheaper stuff that comes in a kit?

Yes, but screwing in (and adjusting) dies is so 20th century...lol
Get a Hornady and change over so easily.

I have read that you can get the quick change plates or whatever they are called from Hornady and put them to use on a RCBS so no screwing in every time.

I have a redding single stage press, and I did add the hornady quick change kit to it works great a real nice stout press and I believe its still made
in the USA, RCBS is now made in China even says so on the rcbs box

If I was in your shoes (like I was a million years ago!) I'd buy a turret press. Not much more that a true single stage, and is faster to reload with. I have an old Lyman Spar-T and still use it when loading my rifle hunting loads. My other press is a Dillon 550 and it's awesome for cranking out many rounds per hour, but I prefer to weigh every charge for my rifle rounds, so I use the Lyman press.

Yes, get the conversion kit. I installed it on my RCBS RC2 and it works great. I also have two LnL AP progressives.

Hornady Lock-N-Load Press Die Conversion Bushing Kit

Absolutely!!!! One of the best things to happen to single stage presses ever. I prefer the LNL bushings to the Lee Breech Lock as they're far easier to insert and lock.

Having the ability to switch a die with literally a "flick of the wrist" gives all the benefit of a Turrret Press without sacrificing the rigidity of an "O" press where the die is held on two sides.

This kit is amazingly inexensive. Just make sure that the press you buy has the removable bushing that allows for the 1-1/4" adapter to be installed.

Very happy with Hornaday.
I have a lyman turret as well and works nicely. (mostly use it for .357, .38 stuff)
Have a RCBS as well, and yes they are every bit as good as any one claims.

I use the horaday stuff the most.

another vote for hornady i have both the single stage and the progressive and am very happy with both, i did have some problems with the progressive off the bat but hornady cleared that up very quikly and without hassle.
i just recently got the single stage for my birthday and have only reloaded a handfull of rounds but it all went smoothly.
i also use only hornady dies besides my lee factory crimp dies, universal deprimer, rcbs collet style bullet puller and soon to be an rcbs swager (one of the main reasons i wanted the single stage besides precision rifle stuff)

the only thing i wish is that they machined them so you dont have to readjust the dies switching from one press to another.

Absolutely!!!! One of the best things to happen to single stage presses ever. I prefer the LNL bushings to the Lee Breech Lock as they're far easier to insert and lock.

Having the ability to switch a die with literally a "flick of the wrist" gives all the benefit of a Turrret Press without sacrificing the rigidity of an "O" press where the die is held on two sides.

This kit is amazingly inexensive. Just make sure that the press you buy has the removable bushing that allows for the 1-1/4" adapter to be installed.

If that had been available when I started reloading, a Rock Chucker would likely be on my bench now. It sure sounds like a great thing.

I started reloading on a Rock Chucker in 1977. I would recommend saving your money and buying the Dillon 550B. You will soon out grow the single stage. You can
use the 550B like a single stage to start with. Many threads and differing opinions here. But I have reloaded rifle and pistol on my Dillon for 25 years. I like the ease of caliber
converson. I reload 223, 308, 30/06 for competition shooting. Also 8mm, 30 carbine, 9mm, 38/357. 44 mag, and 45 acp. The Dillon can reload just as accurate
as a single stage press. You can weigh each powder charge or use the powder thrower as you want just like a single stage but in a lot less time.

Just don't buy the RCBS dies. Yeah I know you've been using them for years,blah,blah,blah. They made them better back then
I bought the RCBS dies and quickly replaced them with the Redding dies.
I bought the Rockchucker press and it is perfect to learn on. Not too many moving parts and you will use it for your precision rounds forever.

Heck I have 3 presses already. Only proficient on the 'chucker so far,but I have the 550 and the L'n'L too. Not impressed with the Hornady L'n'L yet.

Good luck and have fun!

a good stout cast iron press makes rifle cases a breeze to size compared to a cheap press like the Lee Challenger.Me and my buddy had 1 of each side by side a few years ago,and the difference is amazin. His was an american made rock crusher,I have no diea how the offshore-made RC's are in comparison.If Hornady is american made,that is what i'd get,just my preferance.
I"ve not used the breech-lock thingamajiigs,gotten by for 25 years without them,don't see the need to spend extra on them..If u dont have time to change 2 or 3 dies,u don't have time to reload on a single stage.:)

build ur bench to the correct hight..I alwasy stand so built the bench tall enuff to be comfortable.

if I were buyinng dies all over again,for rifle,Redding would get the nod.

my .02 worth.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads