JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The gun owner, who had a valid concealed weapon permit, was not arrested, but deputies forwarded the case to the prosecutor's office for consideration of reckless endangerment charges.

They could have and did not. Writing a report and sending it to the DA is not an arrest and usually means it will get round-filed.

I guess ALWAYS has a different meaning for you. ;)

Not sure what you mean. Police Officers are, in fact always looking to make an arrest. Neither you nor I know all the facts about this case, and the Police in this instance decided they didn't have enough PC for an arrest, at this time. I'm not sure how what I said is any less true based on the facts about this case as they were presented.

And just to get it out there, I'm a former LEO. I have no bias against the police, and a large portion of my best friends are still LEOs.

I'm curious if you're an active LEO or just someone with a grand view of how the police operate?

Taking the weapon out of its holster to put in a coat pocket = FAIL
This is the point of extreme negligence.
removed the .38-caliber, two-shot Derringer pistol from a holster on his belt before he entered the Cost Plus World Market
Unless I missed it I did not see any reference as to why he removed it from the holster. I assumed it was exposed and he did not want anyone to see it or the store is posted. However if this were the case I wonder why he would not have had it concealed being as he had a CHL.

Police Officers are, in fact always looking to make an arrest.

...and the Police in this instance decided they didn't have enough PC for an arrest, at this time.

As you say, we don't know all the facts, so those are two assumptions on your part.

I don't know any cops that are ALWAYS looking to make an arrest. Perhaps you were that way, but it is not the norm in my experience. Plenty of cops don't arrest every time they have have PC and referring it to the DA can be a way of passing the buck, so to speak. Maybe they wanted to give the gun-dropper a break and cover themselves.

I didn't step into this to argue, just to offer a perspective on why the gun-dropper was not arrested. :)

In times like these people like us need to be hyper vigilent about our firearms.
We should be trying to encourage people and change their minds about firearms not backing up their ignotant opinions.

Never mind. I was simply trying to explain how things work. Keep your bias against cops.

Polish it up as much as you want.

I just called these guys for you:
wambulance_logo.jpg

So you are implying a diminutive, two shot, single action relic of a firearm is a viable defensive weapon? If so, how can arrange any future gunfights I may encounter to be with you?
Oh that's right, you need an 88 mag at the OK Corral there Sheriff Earp, eh?

You've never once heard of a belly gun? Derringers are pretty simple, effective in some cases, and work. Imagine this, you try to rob me, you get to close, I put that thing against your wedding tackle and fire. If you're still standing, I put it against your chest or throat and fire again.

So tell me, would that be effective?

Maybe not against you, you're mostly made of titanium. If it's a last ditch response, and all you have, it's a helluva lot better than just kneeling and whimpering while you get worked by whomever wants to take your life. As for it being a relic? I can go down to Wholesale Sports and buy a new one tomorrow. Just because it's a derringer doesn't make it a relic. It's not your thing, that's fine, I can dig that. I have a M&P45c because while I like the idea of something small and easy to conceal, if I need to put someone down, I'd like to make sure I have a large enough mag to ensure that the threat is fully neutralized while also looking like a regular tac badass. (Nothing says tac badass like earth tone frames.)

As you say, we don't know all the facts, so those are two assumptions on your part.

I don't know any cops that are ALWAYS looking to make an arrest. Perhaps you were that way, but it is not the norm in my experience. Plenty of cops don't arrest every time they have have PC and referring it to the DA can be a way of passing the buck, so to speak. Maybe they wanted to give the gun-dropper a break and cover themselves.

I didn't step into this to argue, just to offer a perspective on why the gun-dropper was not arrested. :)

Your point is taken, and I didn't come to argue or offend either. It's a much bigger conversation anyway. Sometimes things come across more harshly on the Internet than they are intended.

This event will probably come up when his CPL is up for renewal.

Again, be responsible and careful out there. It would be good to keep proving to the anti-gun crowd that there are 390,000+ responsible people with CPLs in WA State.

Peter

Now you’re just being silly, Johnny.
I agree, it was tough to adjust to what you were putting out.

I use to own an American Derringer No. 1 chambered in .38 special, it was a very well built and cool piece, so yes, I am familiar with the weapon, its use and operation but am also aware of its limitations.
<golfclap>

Since I work for a living and don’t rob people let’s just leave me out of this scenario,
No.

but say you have just blown some muggers package off and throat out as 2 or 3 of his well healed dirt-bag buddies round the bend, now what? Is your derringer still “effective”? You must have a pretty good reloading technique, I’d like to see it.
That's where one prays that you use something better than a derringer. However, how many times does any of this happen, let alone some mugger colleagues wanting to toe up for a mugger that just got ventilated. Next, you'll tell me a leo's core purpose isn't to make arrests.

Now there’s a raving endorsement for a self-defense piece, “it’s available at Wholesale Sports.” Whoopty do, so are .58 cal Hawkins replicas and boat anchors. What is your point?
Considering your point was off base and had no merit, it was simply to remind you that it was a current modern firearm, as easily accessible as a 1911 at the best buy of gun stores. It should be a little easier to understand now that I've laid it out.

So why defend the use of a derringer for CCW?
Real simple, and I'm disappointed that I actually have to explain this, because some things should just be inherently known. It's choice. He chose to use a derringer as a pocket gun. He has the right (still) to make a choice like an adult, and that's what he chose. It could be for a multitude of reasons, none of which any of us are privy to, but it's his right and his choice. You don't like it. BFD. I wouldn't choose it. BFD. It's no defending the simple tool used, but the fact that he made the choice to use something, and his choice was that. Day ladies can poo poo it for hours, but their input isn't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin getting it on.

[/quote]
Earth tone frames don’t mean squat, knowing how to use it is the only thing that means anything. Fact is, colored polymer possess less strength than their black counterparts, but as long as you look good, what the hay.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the laugh, I guess that sailed way over your head. However, I'd love to see some data backing up your assertion that colored polymer has less strength. I would find that fascinating, and would even use it as an excuse to "trade up" to a 10mm.

I stand corrected, and I mischaracterized your statement. I'm sorry.

I didn't realize that about polymers, black being most least susceptible to degradation. Maybe it's time to trade my m&p for a glock. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top