JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So why defend the use of a derringer for CCW?

One would never be my first choice. I have a number of friends that picked them up long ago before we had the same variety of high quality compact sem-autos that we have now. They were cheaper, lighter, and easier to carry than a lot of the revolvers or semi-autos of the time. I tease most of them to get a "real gun," but after carrying them for decades, it's what they're familiar with and what they are more comfortable carrying. Some of them would prefer a newer semi-auto, but for whatever reason, can't justify the expense to upgrade. As much as I might flip them crap from time to time, I do respect their choice. I've repeatedly heard that most handgun engagements in the Us occur at a range of 7 feet. One of those little derringers will place two 38 lugs quite nicely at that range. It would handle the conflict they are most likely to encounter.

As for myself, I agree with you. I'd only buy it for nostalgia. I like my glocks and will never willingly downgrade. But had I been born 30 years earlier, I might have a 38 derringer sitting in a drawer somewhere.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top