JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
SILVERDALE, Wash. -- A gun went off inside a Kitsap County store after a man dropped it, but no one was injured.

The Kitsap Sun reports that a 58-year-old Poulsbo man told deputies he had removed the .38-caliber, two-shot Derringer pistol from a holster on his belt before he entered the Cost Plus World Market in Silverdale on Saturday afternoon.

He put the gun in a coat pocket, but when he was in the middle of the store, he bent over -- and the pistol fell out and discharged.

Sheriff's spokesman Scott Wilson says there were about 35 customers and workers inside, and staff used the public address system to tell everyone to evacuate.

By the time deputies arrived, mall security relying on witness descriptions had found the man in the Barnes & Noble bookstore next door.

The bullet damaged the leg of a day bed and lodged in a stack of nesting rope baskets.

The gun owner, who had a valid concealed weapon permit, was not arrested, but deputies forwarded the case to the prosecutor's office for consideration of reckless endangerment charges.

Packing a two shot Derringer for self-defense = FAIL
No.
Taking the weapon out of its holster to put in a coat pocket = FAIL
Leaving the scene of ND in public = FAIL
Yes, although I'd lean more towards AD since it falling out was accidental, although the act of removing from a holster was stupid.

There you go though, taking a gun out of the holster to keep some sheep happy is never good for you, and it looks like the police are hoping the prosecutor's office can get him jammed up on something.

No.

Yes, although I'd lean more towards AD since it falling out was accidental, although the act of removing from a holster was stupid.

There you go though, taking a gun out of the holster to keep some sheep happy is never good for you, and it looks like the police are hoping the prosecutor's office can get him jammed up on something.

The police are ALWAYS looking to make an arrest. If they can, they will.

Sorry, I know it goes against the grain of 'gun rights' but if you do something stupid like this once, or leave your pistol in the seat at a theater so kids can find it, it is time to surrender your CHL.

Carrying is a HUGE responsibility and the careless need not apply. I don't want to be shopping at Costco and have a 9mm slug in my butt or worse from some careless moron.

Having a CHL should mean you not only were 'checked out' thoroughly, but that you agree to be responsible at all times.

Why don't we start off with being the draconian with driving, which is of course a privilege, and not a protected constitutional right.

I actually agree completely with this, and I've been saying for years that we are ridiculously lax in regards to the requirements for driving. With the amount of people killed by cars every year, you'd think there would be a public outcry about killer drivers.

A CHL is a 'liberty' or 'granted permission', not a right. We really don't have any rights, but that is a different rant. I agree about the car issue though.

Give me permission or give me death.

The reason there aren't more draconian controls on driving?

Pols know they could never jam it through because it affects too many dems.

Even the little chudds that only ride their bikes wouldn't agree to draconian controls on drivers

"Accidents" can happen to anybody. Not even Jerry Miculek or Massad Ayoob are above an "accident". I believe that 99.999% of all accidental discharges are negligent discharges. Complacency is a big part of it for most people. Just because that handgun has been on your person for 30 years doesn't give anybody a pass for being stupid(negligent).

I don't believe that anyone has the power to disarm him, though I would consider not ever carrying in public again if I had done something so careless.

By the way, for future reference, when fleeing the very public scene of a negligent discharge, one should consider fleeing slightly further than NEXT DOOR! Did he hide himself behind a copy of Ed McGivern's "Fast And Fancy Revolver Shooting"?

Kip

The gun owner, who had a valid concealed weapon permit, was not arrested, but deputies forwarded the case to the prosecutor's office for consideration of reckless endangerment charges.

The police are ALWAYS looking to make an arrest. If they can, they will.

They could have and did not. Writing a report and sending it to the DA is not an arrest and usually means it will get round-filed.

I guess ALWAYS has a different meaning for you. ;)

It said they found him next door, it didn't say he fled the scene or was hiding.

It's not outside the boundaries of reason for him to have left when it happened and everyone was told to evacuate, and told either security or someone that he did it accidently, and they moved to a secondary location.

The cops could have arrested and charged on their own. By not arresting and just referring to the DA, they obviously didn't think it was an issue worthy of the drive to the jail.

Maybe you could do a ride-along sometime. You could learn quite a bit in a short time. :)

I wouldn't have an issue with both CPLs and Drivers Licenses being temporarily suspended and safety classes being required when someone does something stupid. Some people really are irresponsible and shouldn't be truted with either (or only one or the other), but I don't trust any regulatory body to determine that. At least suffering a temporary suspension and reviewing safety procedures in a class might help keep some people from being repeat offenders.

The most intelligent and responsible people have their fair share of stupid moments. There is no possible way to idiot proof ourselves. We all have those moments. I'm not ok with stripping someone completely of their rights cause they are guilty of being as human as any of us.

However, the guy in the original article? Send that guy to a safety course. That was dumb and someone could be hurt bad if he does something similar again.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top