JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is pretty typical these days. The premium for physical silver runs $5-$10 over spot (depending on type of coin or bar, etc.). I think the spot price is only relevant for futures contracts. If you find a place selling physical silver at spot, please let me know.
you won't find anyplace selling at spot price {they need to make a living}. I bought 4 10 oz. bars at ajpm today, the guy wasn't real friendly [he was busy] but he did answer my main question which was where do I sell if the price goes up/way up, he said right here. there is a board on the wall where he gets his buy and sell prices and it updates about every minute. his price was right at $4 over spot for me to buy and his price for him to buy is right at a buck over spot. so far I am down $2 on 40 ozs. you can look at ajpm.com and see the spot price and the buy and sell prices. pretty handy.​

you can look at ajpm.com and see the spot price and the buy and sell prices. pretty handy.​
I like kitco.com. In addition to daily spot price charts they have short term (30 and 60 day), intermediate term (6 mo and 1 yr) , and long term (5 yr and 10 yr) historical charts so you can see what price trends are, if you are into charting.

They do the same for gold:

I have never purchased from them, but I find the information on their site useful.

I like kitco.com. In addition to daily spot price charts they have short term (30 and 60 day), intermediate term (6 mo and 1 yr) , and long term (5 yr and 10 yr) historical charts so you can see what price trends are, if you are into charting.

They do the same for gold:

I have never purchased from them, but I find the information on their site useful.
I have found other charts easily, and reviewed them before purchasing more. I did do a small online purchase before Christmas with Money Metal exchange and it was ok but their spot price was higher, then there is shipping, and then the credit card/PayPal fee. I ended up paying almost $30 per 1 oz round

I have found other charts easily, and reviewed them before purchasing more.
Then you know that the charts have not been looking good for silver lately. Silver has dropped about 20% in the last 6 months. Which seems unusual in an inflationary environment. Leads me to believe that price manipulation may be a factor.

I have several market ,players that seem to be sure that silver is prime for a big jump, I hope they are right.

as of right now we are up $2 for the day woopee!!

Last Edited:
I have several market ,players that seem to be sure that silver is prime for a big jump, I hope they are right.
As someone who has dabbled in precious metals for about 30 years, I've been hearing the same stuff about silver for quite a while. I hope they are right, too. Maybe one of these days it will happen.

Before you buy anything, ask yourselve, seriously, what doyou want it for?

Each category has a different use. Investment? Long or short term? or financial collapse?

For use ib the end times, 90% circulated US silver coins are the way to go.

Before you buy anything, ask yourselve, seriously, what doyou want it for?

Each category has a different use. Investment? Long or short term? or financial collapse?

For use ib the end times, 90% circulated US silver coins are the way to go.
Since I am going to buy some silver just "to have" and know little of the ins and outs, what is the point in buying old coins instead of just 1 oz silver rounds or such?

Since I am going to buy some silver just "to have" and know little of the ins and outs, what is the point in buying old coins instead of just 1 oz silver rounds or such?
My guess would be that if you planned to use them as currency in a TEOTWAWEKI situation, you have more versatllity with old coins as they come in different denominations. So you don't have to figure out how to divide a 1 oz silver round if you just want to buy a banana or a head of lettuce. An old dime might do. And people are accustomed to those denominations.

If you are just buying for investment, but also might want to use them as currency, I would go with a government issued 1 oz coin such as a US silver eagle or Canadian maple leaf, as those coins might be accepted more readily than a private mint silver round, which might be regarded with more suspicion by potential recipients.

If you just want to play the market, and at the same time hold some physical silver, then I'd go with the private mint rounds or bars, as you pay less of a premium, and being .99 or greater purity, your shipping costs would be less than with 90% silver coins when you buy or sell.

Those are just a few thoughts off the top of my head, and I am not an investment professional. Just a guy who buys and sells from time to time. So, take it for what it's worth. :)

Last Edited:
being able to walk in, talk to someone, avoid shipping, and credit charges are a plus
My guess would be that if you planned to use them as currency in a TEOTWAWEKI situation, you have more versatllity with old coins as they come in different denominations. So you don't have to figure out how to divide a 1 oz silver round if you just want to buy a banana or a head of lettuce. An old dime might do. And people are accustomed to those denominations.
the problem I see there is a bag of 90% silver coins with a face value of $1k will cost nearly $20k

being able to walk in, talk to someone, avoid shipping, and credit charges are a plus

the problem I see there is a bag of 90% silver coins with a face value of $1k will cost nearly $20k
I didn't mean to suggest they would be traded at face value in such a situation. Only that since they come in different denominations, and therefore weights of silver, there's more versatility in terms of trading. Sorry for not making that clearer.

Old silver coins are mostly 90% silver. Silver rounds and bullion bars are .999 fine, as close to 'pure' as possible. Some coins like the silver eagle American dollar coin and the Canadian maple leaf are actual currency issued by governments and are also struck in .999 fine silver. Other general circulation coins like the liberty, Franklin, mercury dime, etc. are only 90%. War nickels are only 40% and some of the 70's dollars and half dollars are 70%. The silver currency coins that have been around in circulation differ in numismatic value and different years and mintages. Collector value may increase due to condition or scarcity.

If you're sacking them away for end of days, you can also buy rounds and bars in fractional amounts; halves, quarters, tenths, twentieths. Just like government issued coinage, but globally universal in silver value. Keep in mind though, metals are weighted in troy ounces at 31.1g instead of the 28g in standard measurement. Likewise, the troy pound is 12 ozt and not 16oz. It makes a difference when you're looking at buying pounds of metal.

Thanks guys. Looks like if I can get by the shop I will just look for some silver rounds then in the 1 oz size. That size would be simple to use for trade if needed. Not to mention if it comes to using stuff as "barter" I suspect ammo will make a great thing for this. Kind of looking forward to getting a chance to stop by one of these shops and maybe by a pound or so just for the hell of it.

Here's a few more to check out. I didn't research each one, but it's a good place to start and know your market.
For others in my area FWIW, the place listed here on S Tacoma Way seems to have gone poof. Drove by today to buy some and looks to be abandoned. They listed another place over by the mall but I hate driving over there. So just ordered 10, 1oz rounds from JM. Will see how it goes. Assuming all goes well I will get some more from them.

I bought 7 ozs of silver rounds from Rustynail. I can't get into his profile to leave feedback, I talked with him about it when we met, so here it is Positive feedback, good guy, great communications, met on time and his merchandise was exactly as described.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top