JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sig Brace Pink No More!!
IMG_1774.JPG IMG_1777.JPG

Thanks to a heads up from a fellow forum member, A few of us were able to get a screaming deal on some Sig Pistol braces. One problem... They were PINK... HOT PINK! I bought 2,(wish i'd bought 5-6). I knew the second I hit the order button, one way or another, I was going to get the pink off.
I've had success with Rit fabric dye on the sand colored PMags, so that was the first thing that came to mind. Well the mail lady dropped of the victims today. After some trial and error, I think I got the process figured out.

It was definitely not as easy as dying Pmags. They actually turned out great, but I didn't quite get the color I was going for. I wanted it to match the pmag pictured below.
IMG_1789.JPG
Not surprising... even starting with a "whitish" pmag, finding the right combination of colors to get what you want can be very difficult. It takes some trial and error. I started with pink rubber, I expected it to be a challenge. It would probably make more sense to just get more pmags and match them to the brace. Either way, I really wish I had bought a few more of these to experiment with.

Anyway... Here's how I did it:

First I used my trusty 8 quart stainless steel pot I bought from Walmart for $6 specifically for dying pmags, so I didn't ruin the wife's good cook ware. I filled it up about half way with water and brought it to a boil. I read somewhere that vinegar helps, so I added a cup or so to the water, along with about 3/4 of a bottle of "race red" rit dye (it's what I happened to have left over from the last project). I turned the burner down until it was about 180 degrees, or just below boiling. This is also the point where the wife and kids started to complain about the nasty vinegar smell lofting through the house. I reluctantly dropped in the hot pink brace, and let it stew for about 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally.
This is where it differs from the simpler task of dying pmags. The elasticity of the rubber makes things a little more difficult. It seems to take a bit longer for the color to soak in.
Notice the blackish blotches...
IMG_1807.JPG
At first I thought..Cool.. battle worn finish! Nope.. that is built up dye, and it is not permanent. You defiantly want to wash this off, or it will end up staining everything it comes in contact with. It took some effort, but I eventually got it all off. I discovered I shouldn't use anything abrasive, or rub too hard, or it scuffed the surface up. I tried different methods on the inside of the "flaps", and ended up using a couple old tee shirts and soapy water. I took my time and washed the entire piece thoroughly until I could wipe it with a fresh white rag without picking up any color.. getting into the nooks and crannies was a little tricky.
IMG_1815.JPG
I noticed that after washing, it was a little lighter colored than I'd like so I put it back in for a second round... repeating the entire process. It was a little darker, but not quite where I want it. I may pick up a different color and try to darken it up a little. If I do I'll update with the results.

If anybody else is brave enough to "ruin" one of their pink braces please share your results here. I'd like to know how they turn out with different colors, or other coloring methods besides rit dye. I heard you can make a pattern with hot glue and put it into a different color dye if you want tiger stripes, or camo, or whatever. Also if you have an "extra" pink brace and you want a red one.. pm me and maybe we can work out a trade. I colored 2... one to keep one to sell/trade. This experience helped inspire me to turn my V7 receivers into a 10.5" 300bo pistol...I need parts!

Last Edited:
I think purple would help, just a touch tho. Cool to think about. I only ever thought about dying the metal parts (for lack of a better term). Nice to think I can do this to plastic. Funny too, FIL is a professional in a similar industry.

I got three of these (I am the one who posted it here). I bought some Rit dye in graphite as well as some Plastidip rubberized spray paint. Not sure when I will get a chance to try but I'll report back with results.

I got three of these (I am the one who posted it here). I bought some Rit dye in graphite as well as some Plastidip rubberized spray paint. Not sure when I will get a chance to try but I'll report back with results.
Yes you are the one that gave the heads up... Thank you BTW! I have some graphite dye also, I figured Pink to red would be an easy step... I wasn't brave enough to go darker... I'll be interested to see how it turns out!

Last Edited:
Watch IronMonster comes up with a dark, almost burnt maroon on their brace. Red is the hardest color to get right, too many shades and variations. You can almost never get a red twice...
Just saying...

Watch IronMonster comes up with a dark, almost burnt maroon on their brace. Red is the hardest color to get right, too many shades and variations. You can almost never get a red twice...
Just saying...
For sure... the pmags turned that darker maroon color with the same "race red" dye that I used with the sig braces, and I only used a a quarter the amount of dye with the same amount of water and no vinegar... I actually wanted a lighter red for the pmag... then it grew on me and so I wanted the brace the same color, but I got the red I wanted originally for the pmags... I wounder if the vinegar made a difference.

I would say it did. You have another to test this theory, so have at. The PMag was also a lighter color. Easier to dye something red than change a shade of red. The vinegar probably played the biggest part tho, but I'm not the pro. I just know one.

Geez guys that seems like a lot of work. Just leave them pink and be comfortable with who you are! :p

J/K, I didn't pull the trigger on the deal because I'm not smart enough to think of dye and just grabbed a KAK Shockwave instead! :D

I have no reason to buy one of these, yet...
Good to know that these take dye so easily. Con rats on your braces. Still wish I could get away with orange.

I noticed a KAK buffer tube for these just posted for sale in the classifieds... I already have one coming, so I don't need one.
Personally, when my Tacfire comes off Gremlin I'm going with the Brownells tube--it's the lightest pistol tube I've seen yet, though I'm sure V Seven could do better (at twice the price!) if they chose.

Nothing too it (other than getting dye all over the stove and floor)View attachment 367332 View attachment 367333 View attachment 367334
Very nice!! I use the same SS pot... Walmart for less than $10, right? may have to do a two tone graphite/red pattern with one of mine.

I got my Glueck(hot glue gun) and read if you cover the spots you want to stay the first colorwith hot glue, you can dip it in a darker color to get a pattern.
If you already haven't... Be sure you wash the snot out of those or you'll be getting graphite dye on everything they touch, especially if you go shooting in the rain. At least with the red ones I could see the dark spots where it was built up... might be hard to pick out on those.

Last Edited:
Try iDye poly. I use it on Delrin, which RIT won't even touch, even with vinegar. Be sure to get the
poly--regular iDye isn't the same thing. Best online source I've found so far is an outfit called Dharma
Trading Company.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads