JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been having fun with nighttime photography lately.
temporary.jpg

Kids are good subjects:
temporary.jpg

Especially when they are telling their mom something but they look like they are telling them off:
temporary.jpg

I had one which was a "point & shoot" up model, but went to a DSLR for one thing - Turn On Speed
If you have a camera in low power mode, how long does it take before you can pull the trigger?
That is a reason to go big - children, wildlife all move quickly.

Honestly, the most photos are taken on cell phones/super computers. It is the photographer, not the camera.
Many great ones you can't tell.

What is the best camera? The one you have with you!

Cameras being used - and lots of samples:
Flickr: Camera Finder

I used to shoot a lot more than I do now. I still maintain a DSLR (Canon T4i), but rarely pull it out any more, just haven't had the 'bug' like I used to. Knowing me though, it will likely pick up again somewhere down the road.

Here are some random shots I pulled from my old blog pages - stuff I haven't maintained for a while - most are smaller files, but you get the idea. These photos, and the ones in the following posts were taken with a variety of DSLR's, iPhones and a Canon pocket camera - just whatever I happen to have available at the time.

IMG_0112.JPG IMG_1027b.JPG IMG_1031.JPG IMG_1562.JPG IMG_1669.jpg

Last Edited:
I find that as long as there's plenty of Megapixels pretty much any camera is good enough. especially if you plan to crop(digitally zoom) and otherwise play with an image. Don't get me wrong though, a decent amount of optical telephoto is preferable...but for point and shoot, low-light, fast exposures...simple is your friend.
If you enjoy manipulating the picture you mainly need the pixels, the more the merrier.

upload_2016-12-16_13-35-42.png
Picture 1 - fence and barn
Picture 2 - hawk
Picture 3 - sky
Printed as 11x14 on canvas

upload_2016-12-16_13-45-8.png
Picture 1- friend's boat (background and trailer removed)
Picture 2- reflection added
Picture 3- trees and sky
Picture 4- foreground snowy rocks and shoreline
(made for a friend to be Christmas cards plus a canvas print for his office)

OK I'm sitting here talking with my sister and she wants to get a camera for my niece for Xmas she is 13 year's old and loves taking pictures what is a good camera to start with around $250 to $500 she's really good with computers and my sister says she has a good eye for photography but just been using her I phone for now
I have a canon g10 that I really like. It's about 8 years old so they might not make that particular model anymore but I'm sure there's something newer and equivalent to it. Cheap (around $350 if I remember correctly) and has enough features, and manual setting options, to make me happy. Not as good as a fancy dslr but It takes great pictures.

@EPS I would not recommend an SLR for her, i see all these recommendations for them, and they are great cameras, but she will not produce magical pictures, she's going to need to learn with something small and light that she doesn't have to have a mental break down trying to set things right.
Until she *knows* photography, it won't make sense.

@Howard1955 Not personally, but they're solid cameras, if you're used to lens changing etc. it's a good buy.

That's a solid 'bridge' camera, or super zoom class as they're known. My sister in law has that model and it's a great upgrade from my Wife's earlier version. Solid point and shoot, but again, not recommended for young new photographers. For Howard's wife on the other hand....

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top