JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last one for now, nice example, messy background, though blurred, however as you can see, the lighting is messed up with it being blown out along the top.
Contrast and detail is missing as a result, again, not well setup shots, but not bad for the time taken.

Now i want to get that lightbox setup :) 1911Para.jpg

COOL I know what you mean I use my phone more than my camera also but if she really likes photography she's going to have to learn bout cameras that have better than 12 mega pixels lol

It's a medical FACT, thanks to those nice people at Zeiss Optik Laboratories, that the average human eyeball runs out of definition at around 5Mp. Anything after that is an artifact of the image processing system. Unless you are taking images from space down to earth, or are an airborne reconnaissance system, 10 - 12Mp is enuff for US Letter-sized prints - A4-sized to the rest of us. Obviously, if you need to make a wall poster, all bets are off, but the reason that folks LIKE gazillions of pixels is because the detail that can be found in a digital image that is NOT there when viewed with the human eyeball. We are only human, after all, and not a machine.

That's why wet-film systems just won't go away.

The digital camera puts EVERYTHING that is in the view into focus - the human eyeball does not, but focuses on part of it that matters to the human eyeball. That is why many digital cameras have a separate switchable zone-focussing facility, that copies/emulates the human view.

The wet-film camera does that all by itself, which is why it has more 'soul' than the digital camera.

Remember, too, that the digital camera will faithishly reproduce its image every time you print or copy it. Because the wet-film camera used a 'soup' of chemicals containing random particles of silver halides or dyes, no two successive prints will or indeed can, ever be the same. The eyeball uses 'smears' of blending tones - we see better when we squint. The digital eyeball uses rectangles that can have sharpened edges when you select 'sharpen'. The eyeball image gets a bit clearer to us because the brain, with it's thousand billion 'pixels', does the processing for us. The digital image gets sharper because of all those rectangular edges getting their 'fuzz' knocked down.

Just my POV after forty-two years as a professional imagery analyst, please feel free to ignorise it.

tac, keen user of both systems

Last Edited:
There are some very good pictures here. Thanks for sharing.
I used to take a lot of pictures and still have all of my cameras and equipment for shooting 35mm. I'd take a roll of pictures and out of them, one or two would be "keepers" and the rest ok.
Digital technology has saved me a bunch of money getting film developed.:D But I can't seem to get it straight in my head how to do things with the new camera that I would do with my 35mm cameras.
We have a decent Nikon DSLR (D5000, I believe) and a few goodies to go with it that my wife uses and I have an old Olympus that gets packed around in the truck. I usually only have my phone handy and picture quality is poor, which sucks when you take a picture that you want to cherish.
Every once in a while I luck out.
unfinished.jpg

Last Edited:
... the lighting is messed up with it being blown out along the top...

I like to underexpose and use the "lighten shadows" feature in Photoshop Elements to even things out. That feature and cropping is 99% of my Photoshop use. Once an area is blown out nothing will bring it back but there is plenty of detail remaining in dark areas.

Thanks! I should mention it was taken with Canon PowerShot pocket camera.

You have to leave Lahaina at 4 AM, it is really cold, and I only went because others wanted to see it. I'm so thankful I did.

Yeah, we kinda skipped it for the reasoning of timing ;)

You'll see the sunset was beautiful in it's own respect though :)

I have been shooting since I was 4. I got a packet of pictures which I remember taking, from my mom. Including my favorite "smoke" which was of a burning leaf pile. Back when you did that in the suburbs.

Back then, as now, What are you going to photograph?
Why?

With digital it is much easier to spray and pray. I tend to be one who does that. But try for a family Christmas photo of say 8 people. If you quickly took 8 shots, chances are you'll get a usable face of each subject. Just one photo, the odds go down. If your purpose is to take family photos, then you have a different camera need from say my nephew, who wants selfie action shots - in the air, under water, in likely to bash, drop and drown the camera. Going on a trip of a lifetime to get wildlife photos - - Eagles, Moose, Bears. How about the trip to get buildings and details. Are you a street photog? If you are taking a trip of the lifetime to Europe, then maybe you are, at least for that trip.

Everything, it has to do everything?
Break out gun comparisons. Do you need a sub-micro pistol, or a F-type long range competitor, or are you planning to kick in the doors and clear rooms?

What camera do you have with you? Get good with that.

I got asked by a brother-in-law to photog his wedding. I used my point&shoot high end at the time, slammed the pixels setting to max. He wasn't too keen, but I think that he was looking to give me something to do beyond drinking his booze. But, again with the idea that the photos will only be shown on a computer screen, I was able to crop many of the pics. There's a group shot of 8 people, which crops to a shot of 3 people and of 1 person. All which are usable on a screen- Facebook/ email. I shot 1000 pictures - pre, wedding and reception.

Since this is a thread of photos:
Who has got the Yosemite Fire-Falls shot?
Or NYC Stonehenge? Manhattanhenge
The Reality Behind Photos of National Park Landmarks

I got the Loch Ness monster. She was on vacation. This is a photo I took, not photo shopped. The location is Pacific City, OR. What I saw in the viewfinder is what is in the pic.

upload_2016-12-19_13-0-26.png

The Challenge of photography-

upload_2016-12-19_12-53-3.png

Last Edited:
Hey @tac I thought it was closer to 8MP than 5MP for the eyeball.

Now my 6000x4000 maybe some say I'll put stuff on a billboard. Lol. Maybe not.

Video below in spoiler tag, I put the spoiler tag to reduce clutter.

I also found this prior to the video and it was referenced in said video:
Clarkvision Photography - Resolution of the Human Eye

It was interesting that the 'available' versus what we actually perceive/see and how small of an area our brain actually focuses on at once. Makes me realize why I enjoy photography and bokeh. Freeze time and enjoy it (all of it) not just what I'm focused on. I still appreciate seeing life through my eyes and not a viewfinder.

Last Edited:
The quality of this picture isn't all that great, but the subject is interesting. Some trappers working on our place accidentally got this young male lion in a coyote snare. So that's where the chickens have been going...

I'll be taking the carcass down to ODFW in the morning, so everything is done legally. They'll probably weigh him, but my guess is he's about 70 pounds.

Thinking about having a rug made out of him. Anybody have a recommendation for someone to do that?

Update:

ODFW measured it: 70" and 86 pounds. Probably not more than 2 years old. Makes me wonder where its Momma is, and how big she might be...

IMG_0130.JPG

Last Edited:
I'd like to show the pic of me standing on the roof of a school bus in a snowdrift - all you can see of me is my bobble hat sticking out of the hole we dug to find the bus after spending three days looking for it. I'm 5' 11" BTW. Can't find it right now, though.

Happy days, eh?

tac

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top