JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My pocket camera is a 3-year old Canon SX210is. Great pocket camera, decent zoom, IS works well and video quality is really good. I love that it's compact enough to slip into a pocket, but also has some manual options for shutter speed and aperture control if I want to use them. I'm probably going to sell it and move on to a newer model, probably same with my DSLR - maybe move of to something like the SX60 instead.

My only complaints with the little camera is that it is a bit slow from power on to the first shot and the low light performance isn't great. But for something I can carry about anywhere easily, it's a great compromise.

Take a look at one of these. Love mine, lots of features, does everything but changing lenses! It's still very versatile! Lots of actual glass in the lens! I've given up on my thousands of $$$ of lenses and bodies! Don't need them!

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/powershot-sx60-hs-refurbished?utm_source=google&utm_medium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=Google_Product_Feed&cm_mmc=GA-_-Digital_Point_&_Shoot_Cameras-_-G_Canon_Product Listing Ads-_-36312&gclid=CP3trJas-NACFZFefgodkg4C_Q

View attachment 329333

I've thought about replacing my DSLR with something like this, I just don't need swappable lenses anymore. I'll have to check if this shoots RAW format though, I would want that feature in such a camera. Do you know, off the top of your head, if it can shoot in RAW format?

10236438494_a8962e8629.jpg

9536039988_c6e9352fcc.jpg

Absolutely!!! The camera below has a fully articulated LED screen. You can easily shoot from the waist or any other level, from down at flower level to above the crowd, my favorite use! The desert cactus photo, at the bottom of this post, was shot on my tip toes, arms extended to full stretch, with my wife back to back with me as a brace! The LED screen was pointed at my eyes, that is straight down, the whole time!

Take a look at one of these. Love mine, lots of features, does everything but changing lenses! It's still very versatile! Lots of actual glass in the lens! I've given up on my thousands of $$$ of lenses and bodies! Don't need them!

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/powershot-sx60-hs-refurbished?utm_source=google&utm_medium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=Google_Product_Feed&cm_mmc=GA-_-Digital_Point_&_Shoot_Cameras-_-G_Canon_Product Listing Ads-_-36312&gclid=CP3trJas-NACFZFefgodkg4C_Q

View attachment 329333

IMG_0237.JPG

Last Edited:
I've thought about replacing my DSLR with something like this, I just don't need swappable lenses anymore. I'll have to check if this shoots RAW format though, I would want that feature in such a camera. Do you know, off the top of your head, if it can shoot in RAW format?

It shoots in jpeg, RAW or RAW+jpeg.:)

That's a solid 'bridge' camera, or super zoom class as they're known. My sister in law has that model and it's a great upgrade from my Wife's earlier version. Solid point and shoot, but again, not recommended for young new photographers. For Howard's wife on the other hand....

This post, I think that the "bridge" camera would be suitable for all but the youngest beginners! :)

Sure, it'll work, though i'd almost never suggest 'auto' mode on anything, however, it'd also be overkill for a lot.

I had a pentax kx5 a while back. Took great pictures. Tried my hands at photo shop. I sucked. Sold the camera. Kind of miss it now since we live in Oregon and there are much more pretty things to captive in photographs.

Here is one of the pictures I took with it. I always liked automotive photography and was always trying to get good pictures when I dabbled in radio control car racing.

IMGP0683.JPG

One of my favorite pictures I ever took was with a very early digital camera I bought back in high school for 200 when the circuit city was going out of business.

This was a trip my wife, girl friend at the time, took to San Francisco.

Sorry it's an old screen shot off it. Can't find the actual.

Picture 1.jpg

2009 Prince William Sound, Olympus EP-1

IMG_1491.jpg

Sony NEX 6, 2010

DSC00081.jpg

Sony RX1R2, 2015

DSC00059.jpg

Sony RX1R2, 2016

DSC00237.jpg

Sony RXR2, 2014

DSC00326.jpg

And lately I've been working with a Zeiss Otus 55mm lens on a Nikon D810, trying to nail manual focus and get a medium format look

IMG_2140.jpg

I forgot to mention, if someone was looking for an inexpensive, compact camera to get into photography, my choice would be the Sony RX100, first version.

It has a 1" sensor, not bad for a compact, most compacts are 1/2.7 or 1/1.7, and you can pick up a used one for a couple hundred bucks or less. Plus it fits in your pocket. I took this with it:

DSC00055.jpg

And this one:

DSC00104_1.jpg

Good thing to note, don't go expecting to get close up photo's with an SLR, you don't get macro (close up) performance with regular lenses, that's a big advantage of point and shoots.

Okay, now I'm inspired to get my wife a camera for Christmas. Do any of you have experience with this one?

View attachment 329289

I've been running a Lumix for about 8 years now I guess. I understood they used Leica(sp?) glass, and there's a lot of it! Zoom to 27X. I wanted a camera that I could hold onto. I'm not smart enough to us even a 1/4 of it's capabilities though. If this one went TU I'd probably do another Lumix. I'll throw some pics up tomorrow if this thread's still going.

I like the shallow depth of focus in this one from a few years ago (when i got the Winchester) but looking back, i didn't have a plan and as you can see, the point of focus doesn't really contain a point of interest.
Whilst the wood grain is nice, from a composition point of view, i'd want to have a specific part of the gun there, or at least something else to be the subject matter in focus.

winchester101-3.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top