JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had been eyeing the 10FCP-SR - sounds like they're not too much different from each other, though the 10FCP uses a larger magazine (I do like that). Any thoughts between the two? You've owned both, haven't you?

Adding: Did a bit more comparison - FCP-SR has 20" and 24" barrel options, fluted and threaded barrel are standard, Accustock, 10rd magazine, top bolt release. Also sounds like the 10T-SR is exclusive to Cabela's? Non-threaded, non-fluted barrel, 24" only, and bottom bolt release.
My 10-T-SR had the 24 in barrel, accustock, accutrigger, and bottom bolt release, and was threadded 5/8X24 for all standard muzzle devices. When i got it, Savage didnt offer the 10FCP -SR with a 24 in barrel, otherwise I would have gotten that one!!! Dont forget to stock up on PMags!!! Lol

etrain16 the primary diffrence between the two are barrel length amd rifling type as well as detachable mag capability. On my 10 fcp, it didnt have the accustock, accutrigher, or the bottom metal for detachable mags, what it did have is a 24 inch fluted barrel with true R-5 rifling. The newer version your looking at has all the goodies i would recomend, but it has the shorter 20 inch barrel, which unless your running a can all the time, will never reach the full potential of the longer barrel. The newer 10-T-SR has the even better hybrid R-5 rifling with the longer 24 inch length and is also threaded for suppressor use, or a brake, or flash hider! The only thing is dosnt have is the detachable mag bottom metal. That can be done pretty easy and only takes about an hour to do. Honestly, it really comes down to what you want the rifle to do, for a "tactical" type of set up where your going to be using a suppreasor and never plan to shoot past 800 yards, the 10 fcp-SR would be a nice rig, for longer range shooting at a more relaxed pace, the T-SR has the best combo of goodies out of the box. Now if your planning to hunt with this type of rifle, moving from "Hide" to hide stalking predators and you need a lightning fast follow up shot, this is where the Tikka comes in to its own. I special orderd mine to be the be all, end all of long hike high altitude shooting across the canyon rifle, and nether Savage, or the Ruger were ideal for that, and the only reason is the weignt! I was initially pleased with the Ruger untill i found its limits, and they were lower then the Savages or the Tikka!

The 10FCP-SR is available in 24" - if it wasn't before, it is now: Savage 10FCP-SR 308 24

I won't be hunting with it, so lighter weight and a shorter barrel is of no benefit for me. The main use of the gun would be a beginning step into shooting at longer ranges, up to say 800-1,000 yards somewhere down the road. Until then, it will be used either benchrest or prone for everything from 100 yards up to that max distance.

With the 24" barrel being an option, that 10FCP-SR may not be a bad option for an entry level bolt gun. Once I can work on technique, I can probably justify a gun that won't necessarily outshoot me each time.

My Girlfriend shooting mine!

Savage 10T
6.5 CM
McCrees Precision G5 OD Green side folder
Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27X56
Seekins Rings
Atlas Bipod
Upgraded the ejector and extractor parts.

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 9.39.33 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 9.40.24 PM.png

700P Remington 308 20" bbl with Gentec quick detach suppressor and Leupold tactical scope. It is very much like my original M24 sniper rifle......that is at my sons house. It has a H&S stock, a XP40 1/4 lb trigger a fluted barrel, all factory stuff. View attachment 397614
I want your old International !!

Oh come on Tikka's are nicer and who the heck needs pants anyway!!! :p:D
Well, according to a Scottish friend, chicks dig kilts and he gets lots of BJs.

I had been eyeing the 10FCP-SR - sounds like they're not too much different from each other, though the 10FCP uses a larger magazine (I do like that). Any thoughts between the two? You've owned both, haven't you?
Adding: Did a bit more comparison - FCP-SR has 20" and 24" barrel options, fluted and threaded barrel are standard, Accustock, 10rd magazine, top bolt release. Also sounds like the 10T-SR is exclusive to Cabela's? Non-threaded, non-fluted barrel, 24" only, and bottom bolt release.
You can try shooting my Savage FCP any time.

My LR builds:
upload_2017-10-13_22-51-35.png

As far as accuracy, I changed around all the glass on all my rifles two weeks ago. Did extensive sight-ins before firing a single bullet.
7mm LRM - took one shot, with my binos, measured how high and right it was. Clicked the Mark IV dials, next shot was dead center bull.
338 Edge - took three shots to zero. Here's the string of the next three.
upload_2017-10-13_23-0-30.png
Not entirely happy - figure trigger time will improve on that.
As far as the Savage, I don't shoot it much. My daughter will put five shots OD inside of a nickel @100. She asked me if I would give it to her as a wedding present. :eek: upload_2017-10-13_22-58-39.png

I just got a new bolt gun gun last week. I thought I would give the Bergara Hunter Match Rifle a try. I have Lee loading dies, Star Line small primer brass, and a Wilson case gauge on the way. I need to order a base for it. Most likely a EGW. I will swap the 6x24 Weaver off my CZ rimfire to it so I can get started breaking it in. I have a 17 year old box of Nosler 120 grain ballistic tips. I will need powder and benchrest primers. I think the stock is molded from milk jug lids.

3C59DF57-3319-4002-A6F5-7B92DDF20560.jpeg
I want your old International !!

Well, according to a Scottish friend, chicks dig kilts and he gets lots of BJs.

You can try shooting my Savage FCP any time.

My LR builds:
View attachment 397727

As far as accuracy, I changed around all the glass on all my rifles two weeks ago. Did extensive sight-ins before firing a single bullet.
7mm LRM - took one shot, with my binos, measured how high and right it was. Clicked the Mark IV dials, next shot was dead center bull.
338 Edge - took three shots to zero. Here's the string of the next three.
View attachment 397732
Not entirely happy - figure trigger time will improve on that.
As far as the Savage, I don't shoot it much. My daughter will put five shots OD inside of a nickel @100. She asked me if I would give it to her as a wedding present. :eek: View attachment 397731
Lots of people want my old IHC......I have several but that one is special, 30,000 original, 5 speed overdrive, 4X4, 345, positraction, 50 gallons of on board fuel, PS, PB, one owner before me. Was only used during hunting season since new.

Last Edited:
Ok, I'll repost here since it is sticky and add to it a little.

View attachment 397520

Remington 700 5R 308 with 20" threaded barrel
AICS stock
PWS FSC muzzle brake
Timney trigger
Vortex Razor Gen I
Seekins 20 MOA rail and rings

Won't quite shoot groups like Otter posted but it is still going strong 2,000 rounds and counting.

View attachment 397521

Ruger Precision Rifle
Started life as a 308 but is now wearing a Proof Research 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, 24" 1:8 twist
APA Lil Bastard Gen II muzzle brake
Magpul PRS stock and MOE pistol grip
Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27 in an ADM Recon mount

Shoots pretty good. This is only a three shot group but it was the first three I had shot out of this gun (or any other gun) in about 2 months. Not bad. The 6.5 barrel has been on this gun for about a year now and it has about 600 rounds through it.

View attachment 397522

I purpose-built my bench 40 years ago not long after I got out of the service. I knew I would probably be moving on occasion in the future so I made it modular and free-standing. It's a 6-1/2 ft x 4-1/2 ft L shape made of 4 separate units that bolt together. If I was to build it today, I'd use a little better material than I could afford at the time (cheap plywood and particle board) but it's held up pretty well through several moves. It can be assembled as a left L or a right L. The outside is paneled so it could be used as a room divider in previous homes where space was at a premium. The corner unit has an access door on the outside so it's accessible for storage. The part above the bench top is a lazy-susan to take advantage of that space. The cabinets below the bench are accessed through sliding door panels. The middle unit upper is full of small drawers for assorted brass and all the little fiddly bits that go with reloading. I've recently finally made a proper mounting bracket for the Dillon and freed the C-clamp.
View attachment 397736 View attachment 397737

I like how you are dialed in. Great shooting!!

Savage makes great rifles, but most of what they offer doesn't interest me much. It's cool to drool over the big boy, long range stuff they make, but I'm not going to be buying one. They did a scout thing recently I thought was cool and then I saw this!
Savage Arms Firearms 10 GRS

This looks to be just about everything I would like in a rifle for poking holes at long ranges.

20170702_164528.jpg 20170530_190853.jpg
My LR custom -Built by Kevin in Salem- caliber is 6mm SLR(super long range) aka 6mm Superx- trued remmy 700sa ss action- krieger ss 6mm .236 bore 4 groove 1 in 7.5 twist barrel at 27.5 inches in a Remington Sendero contour with plus 1 inch on the breech end for a setback when needed- custom 4 port brake- Bobby Hart laminate thumbhole with aluminum accu block skim bedded - ptg stealth bottom metal- aics mags without binder for 2.950 max coal (feed ramp milled and action stop setup to take 3" coal) Shilen comp trigger at 14 oz with bolt release kit. Leopold 15 moa LR base -Leopold 30mm std rings- vortex viper hrt 6x24x50 moa reticle moa turrets- dont recall the bipod manufacture.

lower photo is the first 9 shots thru it- 100 yrds with berger 105hybrids- 3 fouling and sighting and cleaning shots followed by 2 3 shot groups with 2 different charges-

I've shot a .220 with the 105's a .235 with hornaday 108's at 100- at 500 I've shot a 1.89 with sierra 110 smk's and a 2.15 with berger 115g vldh's .
With reloader 26 I've pushed 115's over 3250 fps and 105's over 3350 with no pressure signs. its most accurate in a node around 3100 with most loads ballistically with the 110 smk with a g7 of .315 and a muzzle velocity of 3150 its still super sonic out to 1650 yards-
Still playing with loads and seating depths but the gun out shoots me and the build cost was around 1850$ complete(includes cost of new remmy 700adl ss 243 combo thru bimart at 339$ out the door 2015 black friday and gunsmith charges) minus the reamer and go gauge which I have.

best varmint shot to date a crow at 840 yrds
and it filled my deer tag this year via berger 115 vldh and a 300 yrd shot on a buck running away from me.

Last Edited:
IMG_0008.JPG

One more since I have a long range target to show off. The rifle in the middle is:

700 Long Range in 7mm RM
Magpul Hunter stock with Magpul DBM (or DB plastic as the case may be)
Seekins Precision 20 MOA rail and rings
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 NP-R1 Zerostop
Area 419 Hellfire muzzle brake
Fluted bolt and oversized bolt knob

I have been having a heck of time finding a load that both the rifle and I like but I finally tried it at 400/600 yards yesterday. This is shot 2-3-4 at 600 yards. The 7mm leaves a bit more of a dent than 308 or 6.5.

IMG_0042.JPG

My brothers Sako TRIG 338 Lapua is a tremendous rifle. Topped with a 4,000$ Nightforce I think he is in it close to 10,000. But it really shoots.

My brothers Sako TRIG 338 Lapua is a tremendous rifle. Topped with a 4,000$ Nightforce I think he is in it close to 10,000. But it really shoots.
By chance do you know which TRG model it is?

The TRG M10 are nice. I prefer the older TRG-S myself. I am not to big of a fan of the cutout stock.

They also have the newer 85 Long Range in 338 LaPua. However, it weighs like 9.75 lbs vs the older TRG-S(aka M995) which weighs about 8 lbs.

That being said if you are ok with 308 and want it a bunch lighter then the 85 carbonlight at around 5.25 lbs is really nice! :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top