JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Winchester model 70 short action, 26" heavy barrel in .308

upload_2017-10-19_3-22-10.jpeg

This rifle has taken all the deer pictured

upload_2017-10-19_3-24-47.jpeg

Being poor, and living in the land of 'you can't have that', means I have only one modern-era bolt action rifle. It's a Krico 650S in .308Win with a Picatinny rail fitted.

The scope is a 8-32x56 Nightforce NSX with that cute reticle they had for a while with the teeny dot inside the mil-dot, which was a circle. The rings are Warne QR on a Picatinny base so I can swap it out with a different scope. The bipod is Harris. The G3 flash hider is standard - this was made for SWAT in Germany, which is where mine came from when the unit concerned went over to the SIG 3000 back in 2002. I've had it ever since, and put around 6000 rounds down it. It still shoots well with the recipe I have, and does all I need on the 9" disc at 900m - the 'target' in the shoots I occasionally attend in Hungary. No pics, though, they are MoD shoots, and unless you are authorised for some reason to take pics, they are a no-no due to the type of people shooting there.
upload_2017-10-19_13-13-7.png

My avatar shows me shooting it, whilst wearing my Portland Bolt Co. baseball hat [thanks again, Mike]

That's all, folks.

tac

Being poor, and living in the land of 'you can't have that', means I have only one modern-era bolt action rifle. It's a Krico 650S in .308Win with a Picatinny rail fitted.

The scope is a 8-32x56 Nightforce NSX with that cute reticle they had for a while with the teeny dot inside the mil-dot, which was a circle. The rings are Warne QR on a Picatinny base so I can swap it out with a different scope. The bipod is Harris. The G3 flash hider is standard - this was made for SWAT in Germany, which is where mine came from when the unit concerned went over to the SIG 3000 back in 2002. I've had it ever since, and put around 6000 rounds down it. It still shoots well with the recipe I have, and does all I need on the 9" disc at 900m - the 'target' in the shoots I occasionally attend in Hungary. No pics, though, they are MoD shoots, and unless you are authorised for some reason to take pics, they are a no-no due to the type of people shooting there.
View attachment 398877

My avatar shows me shooting it, whilst wearing my Portland Bolt Co. baseball hat [thanks again, Mike]

That's all, folks.

tac

The stock on your rifle tac is beautiful! :)

RPR_NF_Sight-In.jpg
Don't need to show the rifle! Looks just like the one that started this thread (except for the scope). Ruger Precision Rifle .308 Win., Nightforce SHV 4-14x56 scope, Warne Tactical Ultra Hi steel rings, LaRue-Harris Bipod and LT706 QD swivel mount, American Precision Gen II Fat Bastard Muzzle Brake. Target from first sight-in session at 100 yards off card table. Center target shows six shots, walking in the scope starting from the right corner of the triangle, after bore-sighting with laser "cartridge" at 25 yards. Once I got three hits in or touching the orange center bullseye, I let the barrel cool a bit, went prone and dialed the 3-shot group to the upper left. My inexperience with dialing in MOA shows, as I expected to hit the center orange triangle in the upper left. BTW, I cleaned the barrel before shooting but didn't clean again during this session, per Ruger's recommendation that break-in isn't necessary with RPR barrels until around 600 rounds.

IMG_0074.JPG IMG_0072.jpg
Defensive edge LRKM
338 Terminator (300gr @ 3100fps)
32" krieger barrel (rifle OAL 46")
Nightforce nxs 5.5-22
Waiting on stamp for elite iron suppressor

Last Edited:
IMG_20150411_182410.jpg Remington in a 300 ultra magnum , shooting for deer hand loads with a 180gr round nose and a hand load with 220gr round nose for elk , has a nightforce scope for the glass and shoots like a dream IMG_20150514_154642.jpg

What qualifies as long range? For me,

Short: 0-399
Medium: 400-599
Long: 600-999
Extreme: 1,000 plus

I only practice out to 600 so none of my rifles qualify. My farthest kill was 541 yards, in 2016. You guys who can hit kill zone sized gongs at 1,000 yards have my respect and admiration.

P

Tikka T3 CTR 308
Replaced plastic shroud with metal.
Replaced aluminum recoil lug with steel.
Added SilencerCo ASR brake
Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27 in Vortex rings
SilencerCo Omega

Had to have a gunsmith fix the base metal where the mag seats.Smith extended out the mag release. It was wanting to loosen up the mag after firing. Read some Tikka forums and this is a common issue.

Rifle really likes Varget or RL-15 and 168 grain A-max or SMK. The software for measuring groups is called OnTarget and there is a free version.

image5.PNG image4.JPG IMG_0905.jpg

Tikka T3 CTR 308
Replaced plastic shroud with metal.
Replaced aluminum recoil lug with steel.
Added SilencerCo ASR brake
Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27 in Vortex rings
SilencerCo Omega

Had to have a gunsmith fix the base metal where the mag seats.Smith extended out the mag release. It was wanting to loosen up the mag after firing. Read some Tikka forums and this is a common issue.

Rifle really likes Varget or RL-15 and 168 grain A-max or SMK. The software for measuring groups is called OnTarget and there is a free version.

View attachment 426323 View attachment 426324 View attachment 426325

Look @SKrueger - a suppressed Tikka!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews